Author Topic: UCE B5 Handle bar  (Read 13120 times)

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
on: December 15, 2017, 03:10:36 pm
Hello my dear RE brothers. Its been a while since i have posted anything on the forum...hope ya all are doing well :)
I ride a 2014 UCE Std 500 bullet (bone stock) and have put a touch under 19000 miles on the odo so far ( i know it is very less). Over the last couple of months, i have been experiencing some pain/discomfort in my right wrist when ever there is any stress on it & the only reason i could think of was riding. I guess it could be due to the fact that i use the front breaks for like 90% of the times. This might be putting a lot of strain on my right wrist. I am 6"3 and tip the scale at 180 lbs. Would changing the handle bars help the cause here? And if yes, what kind of handle bars should i be considering?

Your time and advice are really appreciated.
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:33:31 pm
A handle bar change :o may help you out. Each person fits on a bike differently.
The best I can tell you is to sit on your bike and try to find the height of bars at which you are the most comfortable. The standard bars on an RE can be very uncomfortable. For example I am much more comfortable with bard that are 6-12 inches taller than normal. Because you are in India you can go to one of the street side handlebar sellers and try several different types.

As an aside you may want to consider not using the front brake quite as much. Years ago in India it was thought that using the front brake was very dangerous. It was one of the reasons the factory never put any effort into improving them because they thought no one used them. Best practice is to use both brakes. Here is a good article.
https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-brake-on-a-motorcycle-2399405
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:24:58 pm
Hi Subbu, have you adjusted the angle of your levers?
I am fairly tall, 6'1", most bikes come set up with the levers rotated to far up for comfortable operation. Try rotating them down a little until you feel you are in a natural position. 
Poor adjustment can create problems in the wrist area, especially if like me, you tend to ride with you fingers resting on the clutch and front brake.
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:58 pm
My recommendation would be to try a foam grip over-wrap, such as the Grip Puppy, or the ones made by Grab On.  The larger diameter and softer grip might help with your issue.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 01:22:31 pm
Thank you for the suggestions. I have not fouled with the clutch/break levers.. They are in their original position. I already have an additional rubber grip on the handle. So I think I need to make a conscious effort to sightly alter my breaking habit to use the rear breaks a little more. Changing the handle bars will be my last resort as I find them really comfortable both in city and on longer rides. Thanks again for the valuable inputs...ride safe
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:50 pm
While researching my Royal Enfield purchase, the Classic and the Rumbler were the main candidates.  What sold me on the Rumbler (same bike as the Thunderbird in India) among other items was the type of handlebar.  It raises up much higher than the Classic, making for a more natural angle  for folks (or at least myself) with longer than average arms.  After two years of use I'm considering swapping out the handlebars for a set with the same height but different angle on the grip part, preferably  with a cross bar where mounting my camera and/or cell phone would be easier.  Time will tell.

As for braking, riding the Andes has me using my rear brake more than the front while maneuvering steep downhill twisty roads.  Various reasons, less likely to lose control due to unexpected patches of soil on the pavement, not much braking needed when using the engine as a motor brake so no call for heavy braking most of the time, it guarantees the front brake is not going to overheat and fail right when one DOES need more braking power.  The rear disk brake on the Rumbler gives plenty of slowing power when needed and is another reason the Rumbler was chosen over the Classic.

As mentioned above, stop by a vendor that has different styles of bars available.  Try adjusting the angle, not just the height.  And check the position of your clutch and brake levers, that also has an effect.  Another thing to check when looking at different bars is the angle at which your wrist is bent when gripping the bars normally.  Some handlebars are sticking straight out to the side, others are angled slightly back, some are angled almost vertical.  Try and see if you can find a set that feels more natural to your wrist and hand position with less strain on your tendons to maintain position.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 02:08:16 pm
Yes, i will try out a few handle bars this weekend most probably and hope to find a better alternative to the stock bars. I am glad you mentioned engine braking your reply. As i predominantly use the front brakes but am aware of the risks involved, i do make use of engine braking a lot. Is that a bad thing? Am i causing any harm to the engine or the gearbox by doing so almost every time i need to slow down?
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:26:45 pm
Yes, i will try out a few handle bars this weekend most probably and hope to find a better alternative to the stock bars. I am glad you mentioned engine braking your reply. As i predominantly use the front brakes but am aware of the risks involved, i do make use of engine braking a lot. Is that a bad thing? Am i causing any harm to the engine or the gearbox by doing so almost every time i need to slow down?

As long as you're not redlining it, I'm not aware of any issues in engine braking.  My general practice is to merely plan ahead, decelerate by releasing the throttle, then downshift as RPM's descend.  If a bit more is needed, the rear brake is applied. If one REALLY needs to slow down NOW, then all the above PLUS the front brake.  Your front brake gives you (IIRC) 70% of your braking power, but if you're riding conservatively, there no need for that much braking power in the first place under most circumstances.  And when applying brakes frequently (ie - riding curvy Andean roads) one can heat up the front brake by excessive use thereof.

I suspect that in India, like here in S. America, the roads tend to be less than optimal and there tends to be more debris on the road which means one MUST be careful of when, where and how that front brake is applied. I've got friends here who never use the REAR brake, relying only on the front. One Classic I've ridden a time or two was so poorly adjusted that the rear brake was essentially inoperable - and the guy owns a shop where he could have his mechanic adjust it.  But he doesn't.   But he doesn't do much mountain riding either so overheating his brakes is not much (any) of a concern to him.

A severe case of engine braking happens when I get on my wife's Honda Wave 110 - if I forget to repeat in my head before each shift "Down is up, up is down" - to recall the odd shift pattern.  When one accelerates to the top of the RPM's in second and "hits third" - only to downshift back to 1st instead - one MORE than redlines the engine!  That's embarrassing, to say the least.   ;D So far I've not blown it up, but then I rarely ride the little scooter.
Paul

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 02:43:15 pm
That is a bit of a relief...my practice is just what you have mentioned as safe.

I can totally relate to the embarrassment one can face when riding a bike with the opposite gear pattern  ;D...has happened to me many times. Equally funny thing happens almost every time i ride my Wife's Honda Activa (it is a gear less/auto gear scooter hugely popular here in India). I completely forget the fact and keep applying the rear brakes assuming it is the clutch lever in an attempt to up shift  :o...feel like a total idiot every time i do it...
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 03:51:33 pm
A trick I was told for determining correct handle bar angle, is to hold a screwdriver in either hand with shaft pointing inward, sit on bike and hold your hands above handle bar grips. The screwdrivers will show the best relaxed handlebar angle for your hands.  ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 07:26:41 pm
Narada, I'd meant to ask this question before Christmas and forgot. Do you mind showing how this determines angle? I might just be being thick.

Mr H has some Electra ones and I might fit these to my B5.

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:45:29 pm
Well, It is the hard way of finding out a comfortable angle  ;D...you go a lil too far and the screw driver head is going to poke at the underside of your wrists there by letting you know lol!.... ;)
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:15:44 pm
I'm 6' 240, and the bars on my B5 are right on the edge of being too low for me. I mostly ride cruisers, with a straight upright riding position. Any forward lean causes severe pain in my neck and shoulders. A few years ago I had a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, which most people call a standard. I put less than 5000 miles on it in 3 years, mostly in pain and finally gave up and sold it. To me it had a semi sport bike riding position.

You put 19,000 miles on a 2014 Enfield? That is quite a feat. I have just over 10,000 miles on my 2013. Only a couple of times have I been over 100 miles from home. That's the towing limit on my road service plan. I have often ridden it as much as 250 miles in one day, at a top speed of 60 mph, and usually at 55 mph, which is where it feels perfect. I would not take off cross country on it unless I had made prior arrangements with someone to come and pick me and the bike up if it broke down. I have ridden all over the U.S. on Japanese bikes with no backup, but they are considerably more reliable. But they are boring. I got the Enfield because it has character.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:35 pm
I'm 6' 240, and the bars on my B5 are right on the edge of being too low for me.
Interesting you mention that Jeff, i some how find the stock handle bar supremely comfortable in both city and on long rides. I have managed to put on another 1000 miles on my B5 since my last post, in fact i returned from a 530 mile trip last evening and dont really feel any fatigue from the ride. However, my wrist pain has worsened :( ...this particular trip involved around 70kms of ghat section roads (twisties) and the usage of front brakes was high. Just cant figure out a solution here...tried a different handle bar from the yamaha RD 350 for precisely two days in the city but the vibrations just increased significantly so switched back to stock.
Only a couple of times have I been over 100 miles from home. That's the towing limit on my road service plan. I have often ridden it as much as 250 miles in one day, at a top speed of 60 mph, and usually at 55 mph, which is where it feels perfect. I would not take off cross country on it unless I had made prior arrangements with someone to come and pick me and the bike up if it broke down.
I must be really lucky to have gotten a mostly niggle free specimen  8)...for my bull has never broken down or left me stranded.. the poor thing even makes sure it goes into reserve (fuel) as close to a gas station as possible  ;D...i ride solo and am often far far away from any mechanical help on most of my rides..once out on good tarmac i maintain a steady 60 mph which gives me the best combo of speed and fuel economy... 
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:57:33 pm
Have you checked out the Thunderbird handlebars?  I'm not sure how the dynamics would work on a Classic, but they don't transmit as much vibration as the Classic originals do.  How much of that is due to the different setup of the bike (different rear swingarm, etc) and how much is due to the length and shape I'm not sure.  When doing the test ride on a Classic 500 and a Rumbler 350 (same bike as the Thunderbird) it was clear to me that for my riding I wanted the Rumbler setup but with the larger 500 cc engine.  The difference in felt vibration was very noticeable.
Paul