Author Topic: What does it take - 500 to 535  (Read 6360 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 07:33:40 pm
Do replacement cams (mild road/not race) require a power commander?
I am happy with the performance of my C5, but if decent set of mild cams added performance across the whole rev range I would be interested.
Fuel economy is incredible as stock. So I could suffer a little hit in that area.

Actually... this is the Cam that my friend is grinding.   A mild/ moderate 215/230 street Cam to make it better across the rev range and inside the stock rev limiter.  No extreme lifts or duration's. ... Just nice and smooth.

Usually when putting in different Cams in these bikes ,  with the way the stock ECU is set up for the stock Cams....I find  that fuel has to be taken OUT from idle up to around 2500-3000 RPM's .  Give or take a bit .    So less fuel is required down low.  Then... after that RPM range,  things change and fuel needs to be added for the most part and in varying degree's up to red line.   Much will depend on what you want your air fuel ratio to be .

I run Hitchcock's cams and valve kit with  the EJK fuel controller ( no ignition adjustment)  , runs nice everywhere except idle is a little crappy.  I do wonder how much performance would be gained with Hitchcock's  mapped PCV .

See above for the idle... 

Probably not much difference between what you have and the PC-V ?   The PC-V is just a lot more versatile and precise.   And you can REMOVE fuel when you need to.  Some ignition advance in certain places helps as well I have found.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:10 pm
The best piston that was ever offered for these particular bikes IMHO...... Outside of that 500 cc Dome piston out there that some of the boys have  ;)...... Was the regular old 500cc forged JE flat top avl piston , that was offered way back when by CMW.     I had VERY good results with that piston when I was playing with it.  Excellent quality, lighter then stock and etc.   The piston that SHOULD have came stock on these bikes.   But.... the 535 crowd scoffed at it,  based on assumptions withot ever testing it themselves .  Oh well.... damn shame it not offered anymore. :-\

I've still got one of those forged JE flat top avl pistons, that was offered way back when by CMW - unused, sitting on the shelf.  But - it's a 535.  It would make a cool ashtray, but wouldn't it be better to see it pushing an Enfield down the road?

Anyone interested?  PM me...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:11 pm
You should consider getting one of the new 650 twins. I like my G5 Deluxe for what it is, but would like one of the new Café twins.  I will need to wait until I can afford to buy a used one (which will also give RE a chance to fully sort the new model).
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:25 pm
I've still got one of those forged JE flat top avl pistons, that was offered way back when by CMW - unused, sitting on the shelf.  But - it's a 535.  It would make a cool ashtray, but wouldn't it be better to see it pushing an Enfield down the road?

Anyone interested?  PM me...

Tell you what Matt.... If I was one of those Continental GT guys ?  I'd plunk that sucker right in there.     The GT has a lighter crank then the 500. And I'd bet that 535 JE piston you have is lighter then the stock dished piston in that GT.  And certainty lighter then that European piston that Hitchcock's  is or was offering.  A decent little bump in compression, with a a little deck work ?    Sheeeeet.... I'd be ALL over that piston.  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 09:26:11 pm
One way to find out.

Drop it on a gram scale with the pin, and see what it says.
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:41 am
   Could be wrong ?.... But I'm betting on 10-15 Grams lighter then the stock GT 535.  And write down that job number on the under side of that piston Matt !   I might could want one in the future... ;D ;)   

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:38 pm
Some info from the paperwork: date, January of 2012.  Job # 845094. "Actual weight" 307.

I used my wife's inexpensive kitchen scale - although as we know, there's more intrusive ways to bring our motorcycling into the kitchen!

Piston: 308g
Piston + pin: 377-378g (fluctuated between the two)
Piston + pin + rings: 399-400g (same as above)
The pin clips are double sealed in plastic bags, so I didn't weigh them.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 01:15:42 pm
That's light weight.
Good option.

Thanks Matt.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 11:37:34 pm
Some info from the paperwork: date, January of 2012.  Job # 845094. "Actual weight" 307.

I used my wife's inexpensive kitchen scale - although as we know, there's more intrusive ways to bring our motorcycling into the kitchen!

Piston: 308g
Piston + pin: 377-378g (fluctuated between the two)
Piston + pin + rings: 399-400g (same as above)
The pin clips are double sealed in plastic bags, so I didn't weigh them.

THAT....  flat top 535 JE piston would be the same weight as a stock 500cc cast dished piston.  Within' a gram or two .  Nice Matt and thanks for that info.  ;)   A 500cc version that JE forged flat top runs about 14 grams lighter.