Author Topic: UCE Lifters ( tappets)  (Read 15352 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:31 pm
   Does anyone out there happen to have an old set of Harley twin cam 88  OR  Chevy small block 350 L series motor lifters  that they can measure for me ... Please ?  :)    I believe that our UCE motors use the same lifters as above and would like to confirm this. 

It was suggested years back that our bikes use the same lifters as late model Sportsers.   This I found not to be the case... not even close.  BUT.... I THINK we have the same lifters as the twin cam Harleys  and one of the most popular and widely used GM type lifters used in a whole BUNCH of GM motor's.   If so ?   They would be  WIDELY, and EASILY and INEXPENSIVELY available .  Not to mention the ability to get them in limited travel, anti- pump versions, and etc....

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:39 pm
   Does anyone out there happen to have an old set of Harley twin cam 88  OR  Chevy small block 350 L series motor lifters  that they can measure for me ... Please ?  :)    I believe that our UCE motors use the same lifters as above and would like to confirm this. 

It was suggested years back that our bikes use the same lifters as late model Sportsers.   This I found not to be the case... not even close.  BUT.... I THINK we have the same lifters as the twin cam Harleys  and one of the most popular and widely used GM type lifters used in a whole BUNCH of GM motor's.   If so ?   They would be  WIDELY, and EASILY and INEXPENSIVELY available .  Not to mention the ability to get them in limited travel, anti- pump versions, and etc....

They are Delphi, .750" wheel.
Probably Chevy .842" body.

Yes, I am sure that they  could be easily obtained in various performance types as you suggest.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:32 pm
  Yeah, definitely an .842 body ..  Roller size up to a three quarter should do it.   The oil hole orientation would have to be on the axle size of the roller.  I need overall height from the base of the roller to the top of the lifter..... off of the Twin cam / Chevy lifer.

The GM part number I think which is the one, and which can be crossed referenced from there is...
   GM 17122490

Delphi pretty much make them ALL... no matter who's name the put on them or how much they cost.  Except for Jims I believe...

I also think that same lifter is in a Buell blast...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:49:23 pm by gashousegorilla »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:38 pm
  Yeah, definitely an .842 body ..  Roller size up to a three quarter should do it.   The oil hole orientation would have to be on the axle size of the roller.  I need overall height from the base of the roller to the top of the lifter..... off of the Twin cam / Chevy lifer.

The GM part number I think which is the one, and which can be crossed referenced from there is...
   GM 17122490

Delphi pretty much make them ALL... no matter who's name the put on them or how much they cost.  Except for Jims I believe...

The best roller lifters are made by Morel.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:43:58 am
   I think them Black Mamba Lifters might be a wee bit excessive for an Enfield... But I hear ya. ;)

Close.. But no CEEgar  with the Twin cam/ Chevy lifter's.   Grabbed a used set from my buddy the Harley Meister around the corner.... fit in the lifter bores beautifully. BUT, they are WAY too tall.     A good 1/2 taller then stock.  Contact with the anti-rotation pins would be catastrophic.  :o   And too much unsupported travel outside of the bores... oil hole would likely rise above the bore if a modified T/C was used as well.  Not to mention... gawd awful heavy.    Not worth modifying the T/C lifters and running with shorter rods.  Buell Blast shows the same part number as the Harley T/C motor, so they are right out as well.  :-\   Back to the research. These stock lifters almost HAVE to be an off the shelf item.  It would shock me if they weren't....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:19:04 am by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 12:17:31 am
  Got 'em !    AC Delco.... I figured as much.     Short body lifter for a L4 or V6 Chevy motor.  Not too many options there for a performance lifter to cross over too......

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:55:38 am
  Got 'em !    AC Delco.... I figured as much.     Short body lifter for a L4 or V6 Chevy motor.  Not too many options there for a performance lifter to cross over too......

Do ye have the part # for them? ;) I reckon that if all the dimensions are the same as the RE lifters that they should be ok to run.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:46:16 am by Fragman »
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:26:14 am
  Sheeeet  ... I even have a drawing and bleed down rates and such.  ;)    AC Delco #- 17120070, Summit racing number..ADO-HL118 and etc and etc.   Probably one of the most common lifters out there now a days..

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:48:25 am
Muchos gracias. 8)

-2013 Classic Maroon-

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:15 am
Good to know.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 01:31:01 pm
Thanks for sharing that with usall, GHG!
If I ever need them I can now just walk over to the Auto store and get them.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 01:56:58 pm
Thank you!
 :)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:00 am
   No problem boys, hope it helps. ;)

Big thanks to Freddy Rinaldi at Engine land In Elizabth NJ, who happened to have a tray of them in the back. :o   He has really got it going on there, in his Commercial Engine shop... best around.

And Karen out at Intraco corp in the great state of Michigan for the specs.  EXTREMELY helpful !  Good people there man...

Anyways, with  " these stock lifters" they should be good the way they are.  Or for performance applications... easily converted to a solid lifter with an aluminum plug and a heavier duty snap ring to replace the weaker wire snap clip in the stock lifter's.  Or just replace that stock wire clip with a snap ring , and run 'em with oil in them, slight preload on the lifter.  So if they DO pump at higher rpm's... it will be for a limited distance open and limited time.  The snap ring should also limit the travel a bit  more so then the stock wire clip.      Or hell.... a spacer could be made to cut the plunger travel in half , and make a "Hydro-solid "    Lotta options with the stock lifters....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 01:19:54 am
  You know.... I'm noticing in the service manual, after a friend contacted me about excessive noise, that is does not instruct one to install the lifters , with the oil hole in the lifter FACING the oil passage in the lifter bore ?!  :o      Duh !!!   ::)   They can easily be put in back words !   And it has me wondering if some of those excessively noisy bikes that we hear about at idle , that this is the cause....   It's kind of a given to line up the oil holes.   BUT THE MANUAL SHOULD SAY THAT !  Unless i'm missing it somewhere ?!  Geez....

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 01:32:38 am
That rag of a service manual needs to be replaced by one done up proper by Haynes. :o We should all be pestering Haynes do up a manual for the UCE bikes.

-2013 Classic Maroon-