Author Topic: UCE Lifters ( tappets)  (Read 15459 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:00 am
  And I quote...

"  Assemble exhaust and inlet hydraulic tappets into Crank case RH lubricate and check free up upward and downward movement inside Crank case  RH tunnel "

No mention about  lining up the oil holes !?  ^^^

"CAUTION :"

" Please ensure the roller should be facing downwards during assembly "

And that's IT as far as I see it in the book  .  Well .... no shyte Sherlock ?!  The roller rides on the Cam and the push rod tip ?!   :o  Hahahaha !   And BTW, you CAN'T install the lifter's in there prospective bores upside down ... or tunnels as the call it , because you wont be able to fit in the anti-rotation pins in the crank case....  Duh !     They call those anti-rotation pins  " needle roller pins "   Ummmmmmm....... ??   Well I guess that IS what they are made of ?!   But they certainly don't roll, and can be quite a bitch to pull out.   They locate the lifter in the bore correctly, so as not to allow the roller on the lifter from turning sideways and wiping out your cam !    Geez....

There are  "Flats" machined onto the top of the lifter.  The anti-rotation pin slides in , from the inside of the crank case , and up against that FLAT on top of the lifter... and it holds it there in place, to keep it from... ROTATING in the bore !  The lifter has these flats on both side at the top. BUT... there is only ONE oil hole on the lifter.   When the lifter is installed, the oil hole on the lifter should face the oil passage in the lifter bore. It's easy to get this wrong  and put it in back words or turned 180 degree's the wrong way around if not paying attention ....

If this were to be the case and it put in wrong ?   I could see a noisy lifter at idle ..... not getting very much oil pressure in there at those low RPM's  with the oil hole in the lifter pointed AWAY from it's feed source....  :-\

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:28:00 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 03:09:25 am
    Some pictures from a motor I have here... Not the best shots but I hope it helps.

Oil passage to the lifter bores.  You can see the knock out plugs from the factory , where they drill the passages into the lifter bores.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 03:14:47 am
  Oil passage way down there and anti-rotation pin hole up higher in the bore. The oil passage into the lifter bore favors the outboard side of the engine, or pointed towards the right side cover if you like.....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 03:18:35 am
 Oil hole in lifter points OUT, or away from the center of the engine towards the right side cover. This is how I would put them in....

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:41:51 am by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 03:22:49 am
  Outside of the lifter bore, just for demonstration purposes. The anti-rotation pin up against the FLAT of the lifter....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 03:30:48 am
 The lifter going in from the crank case view... oil hole on the opposite side of the lifter, and notice the anti-rotation pin down below ready to be pushed in along the correct FLAT .  In this case, it is the inlet side lifter and the pin would go up against the left FLAT in the picture....

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:45 pm
surly the oil will just flow round the waisted section of the lifter to the feed hole?
Off route, recalculate?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:09 pm
Yes.
That smaller, rougher looking, annular relief will allow the oil to flow around the body of the valve lifter.
Even if the lifter is installed "backwards" with the oil hole away from the oil supply hole there will be enough oil flow into it to keep it pumped up.

Long story short, IMO the location of the oil supply hole with respect to the oil hole in the valve lifter doesn't matter.  The groove will allow enough oil to not only keep the lifter pumped up but it also provides full lubrication to the body of the lifter in the "tunnel".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 11:41:37 pm
surly the oil will just flow round the waisted section of the lifter to the feed hole?

It certainly will.  Not only from the oil feed in the lifter bore , but also oil coming down from the top end through the push rod tunnel.  Definitely enough the lubricate the lifter in the bore .   But a lifter needs pressurized oil to operate correctly...

Consider a bike at idle , at operating temp.  Oil pressure , depending on viscosity and temperature will be at 10 psi or lower .  From hands on testing btw.    Where would one want to supply oil pressure to that lifter,  closer are farther away from it's source ?    At Higher rpm's it's not AS critical... because the pump is putting out upwards of 60-70 psi.  At idle however... tic... tic... tic.. tic..

BTW,  don't take take my word for it .  I'm not being critical , I think .... ::) And I am not suggesting one has to tear into there engine to check this.... the lifters will be "fine" the way they are.  But just take look to other engine designs that use the same  hydraulic lifter's as these Enfields and see what they they recommend.  They have a LOT more experience with  hydraulic roller lifters by a LONG shot, and what works best.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ljgWAgb0E

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/roller-lifter-install-direction.11398/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:25:32 am by gashousegorilla »

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 01:52:39 am
After seeing this vid, I reckon I'll stick with the stock lifters, but then again I'm
not out to hot rod me ride. I just want it to live a good long while and run efficiently. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoRaHJRrhc
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 02:28:49 am
After seeing this vid, I reckon I'll stick with the stock lifters, but then again I'm
not out to hot rod me ride. I just want it to live a good long while and run efficiently. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoRaHJRrhc

Very good point , and I'm glad you brought it up.  S&S pushing their product...    However,  Enfields and the Harley's are different in that, Harley's  oil their rocker arm's THROUGH the push rod .  Enfield's DO NOT.    There are separate oil squirters ... four... pointed at the rod and valve tips trough the rocker blocks on Enfield''s.  There is also an internal oil feed to the rocker shaft, inside the rocker block.   The difference between and automotive (Chevy ) lifter and a Harley lifter , is the size of the oiling hole in the cup of the lifter.  The cup is where the push rod sits in the lifter, and oil is fed UP through the cup and into the rod.   This not a concern with and Enfield, as the oiling hole in our lifter is completely blocked off by the push rod end's, ball tip...  ;)     

Now if I was a Harley guy ?... I would just buy me some of them Chevy lifters, and simply swap out the Lifter cups.... Easy .  You know, or just spend needless money on a set of them big name S&S Hot rod lifer's .... ;D  ::)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:33:34 am by gashousegorilla »

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 04:31:44 am
Thanks GHG for the info on these motors. Sure pays to have folks with hands on
experience with these puppys to add to the learning curve. ;)
Performance enhancement always comes with a pile of research & testing & the
big outfits can get results in a hurry.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:51:53 am
good answer....GHG

next question......should I mate my new split cinnamon gouldian cock bird with my lime/blue hen or try the white breasted blue hen. hope you can help here

thanks ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 04:17:11 pm
 Hahaha !   Nay WildWilliam....  I say  You get a white breasted Cock and sick it on a split cinnamon Hen. You'll wind up with a Ginger mutation, with blue eye's and freckles..  THAT one will sell I tell ya !   Hahaha !  ;)

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 03:19:41 am
Dan are you going back to hydraulic lifters on your C5 ?
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)