Author Topic: Putting up Iron barrel for winter  (Read 2007 times)

westexun

• Neophyte
on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:26 pm
I'M going to put my Iron barrel for winter would like any input on what do ie, drain gas out of tank and carb  put something in  cylinder gas additive  any input would be appreciated  Many Thanks

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:18:05 pm
Use seafoam to stabilize the gas and make sure the tank is topped off. Drain carb. And spray fogging oil in the cylinder. You can also do an oil change so all is clean and ready for the next riding season.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:44:14 pm
It depends somewhat on where the bike is located, what type of fuel is available, what atmospheric humidity, condition of the points, condenser etc.  Where I live, they put ethanol in the fuel which can cause big fuel problems over the winter as the ethanol attracts water, corrodes plastic fuel lines, and is generally a problem.  I try to get the ethanol out before storage. Wash the bike, If you have real petrol, top up the tank to remove any chance of humid air getting into tank. Turn off the fuel petcock, start the engine until all fuel is out of the carburetor.  Change the oil and filter, lube the cable lines, top up the fork tubes and primary box, put air in the tires, charge up the battery after checking the battery electrolyte level.  Fogging the cylinder with oil can't hurt as every cylinder head I have taken off has a few drops of water in them (and I live in the desert, God only knows what it is like in a humid climate). I then put a "battery Tender" float style motorcycle charger on the battery (check water level once a month to make certain the electrolyte has not boiled off). Put bike is a garage or covered dry shed, place a breathable cloth (like a bedsheet) over the bike to keep dust off and allow any moisture to evaporate.

That's about it, this works good for me, bike starts well in the spring.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:46:21 pm by mrunderhill1975a »