Author Topic: brake lights  (Read 2535 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
on: November 27, 2017, 08:13:24 pm
Hi all
Am having issues with the brake light staying on with my 2008 bullet. Will order new front and rear brake light switches as replacements. Any tips on removal or installation and how to make them a bit less problematic when installed?
cheers heaps
Warwick 
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:20 pm
Unless you just want a spare, you most likely only need the front OR the rear brake switch.
The front brake switch simply “ snaps” into place. Hopefully the swtch wires are “ plug and play” if not it’s easy enough to get some butt connectors etc . from auto parts store and wire the new switch to work.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:27 am
The Iron Barrels two brake light switches are capable of turning on the brake light independently and one (or both) of them must be in the "on" position.
(This assumes you are not mistaking the "always on", tail light for the brake light.)

If it was mine, I would disconnect the green wire from one brake switch and then check things out to see if the brake light was still lit.
If it turns off, you've found the culprit.

If it was still on, I would disconnect the green wire from the other brake light switch.

With the green wire from both switches disconnected, there is no way the brake light can be lit unless there is a short circuit that is connecting the "always on when the lights are turned on", blue tail light power wire to the green brake light wire.

I'm pretty sure the rear brake switch is connected to the brake pedal with a spring.
Make sure that something isn't pulling on the spring or the hook that connects it to the brake pedal arm.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:05 am
Yeah, double check for mechanical issues first. There is a little adjustment plate that lets you vary the pre-tension on the rear brake light switch spring by selecting how it hooks up from a variety of holes. Also, is your brake pedal coming all the way back up and not fouling on something?

I seem to remember that the front brake light switch has a poor reliability record.

In the UK, (I think) both switches must work for the bike to pass its MOT test. When I was a lad you only needed one and it nearly always worked off the rear brake linkage.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:46 pm
Hi all. Thanks for the advice! I will trouble shoot this weekend and order the required parts. cheers and beers Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R