Author Topic: Electronic Ignition Preference  (Read 2237 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: September 25, 2008, 12:19:58 am
I've been kind of looking at the two lower priced electronic ignitions available from CMW.  The one costing $99 seems very straight forward but also 'bare bones'.  The one for $126 or so uses the Bosch Blue Coil (good?)  and some other items specifically selected for the application. 

Does anyone have experience with either of these units, or could maybe point out pros and cons of each? 

As always, any and all opinions gratefully accepted.

Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

michaelwhays

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:08 am
Cant really point out the pros and the cons of each since i haven't used both. Just had the $126 package installed with the bosch blue coil. Seems to be a crisper idle. thats about all i can tell you. of course you wont have to adjust the points but thats about it. very straight forward. Be prepared to loose use of your ammeter to find TDC and i'm not sure if this goes for all installations, but the kill/run switch on the right handle is no longer incorporated into the circuit.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:48:31 pm
Keep your points.....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 05:13:38 pm
      The kit with the coil is a great value. It is also economical to install.The bike will start easier and idle better. It will ALWAYS be in time. There is no fiddling after it is set. As for the TDC/ ammeter thing. I KNOW you can find TDC on the  compression stroke.  It will take you about three tries to figure out how far to push the kick start lever to go just past TDC. Don't worry about it.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:25:43 pm
Quote from: cyrusb
Keep your points.....

Any particular reason?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:23:20 pm
michaelwhays.

See this info from RE1 on a similar electronic ignition topic I posted a while back.

"One other thing to keep in mind is to ignore that instructions when it tells you to remove a wire from the negative side of the coil and to attach a wire from the control unit to the coil. Instead leave those coil wires alone and connect the wire from the control  unit to the wire that used to power the points. This way the kill switch remains in the system for your protection."
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:15:28 pm
Quote from: cyrusb
Keep your points.....

Any particular reason?

Actually, I can see a couple reasons for this.  1.  The points and condenser thing is part of the retro appeal of the bike.  2.  Mine is the only bike I know of that can claim to be a 2006 and still have points.  and 3. (probably the only real one) When there is a failure in a points system it is usually very easy to track down and fix.

My interest in the solid state ignition  is purely caused by an attempt  may make in the future to reduce the maintenance requirements of the bike.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:34 pm
OK, some comments here and a quick search with minimal results leaves me with a burning question.  Would the Bosch Blue Coil by itself be a good upgrade?  What would its effect on point life be?  I read that the idle would improve, but past that I couldn't find anything. 

I really didn't want to start another thread just for this.  Would you tell me what you know about the Bosch coil with the standard points system?

Thanks,
Fred

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:52:26 am
I put the $99 one on mine and was very happy. Started every time without drama.

2,000 miles post install and I never needed to touch anything, including the timing.

That said, like too many of CMW's products, the instructions were confusing. I did manage to get it installed and it started on the 1st kick.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175