Author Topic: What would you like to see as accessories on the new twins?  (Read 22693 times)

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 01:40:42 am
Richard, back in the day, 1950s into the 1960s, Puch had a good dealer network with all the parts one  needed in Colorado.  The local dealer, Rocky Mountain Motorcycles in Boulder, raced Puchs in local Scrambles and were quite successful with them.  Always liked the Puch.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:09:34 am by Bill Harris »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 02:30:15 pm
Richard, back in the day, 1950s into the 1960s, Pugh had a good dealer network with all the parts one  needed in Colorado.  The local dealer, Rocky Mountain Motorcycles in Boulder, raced Pughs in local Scrambles and were quite successful with them.  Always liked the Pugh.

Cheers,
Bill

That is interesting.  If Pugh had any dealers in California, I never heard about them (which doesn't necessarily mean anything  ;) ).  But I know for sure that they didn't do any advertising in the motorcycle magazines, like Cycle World, that I read during the 1960's, because I read every word in those magazines.  ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: December 15, 2017, 05:36:50 am

That is interesting.  If Puch had any dealers in California, I never heard about them (which doesn't necessarily mean anything  ;) ).  But I know for sure that they didn't do any advertising in the motorcycle magazines, like Cycle World, that I read during the 1960's, because I read every word in those magazines.  ;D

Now that you mention it, I never saw any advertising for Puch either, but in Colorado we had them and They were winning races.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:08:05 am by Bill Harris »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:06 am
The Sears Roebuck catalog, which arrived at my parents' doorstep twice a year, was my introduction to motorcycles and scooters during the 1950's. Every time a new catalog would arrive, I would first check out the ladies' underwear section and then it was off to the motorcycle/scooter section to see what had changed since the last catalog (usually not much).  Eventually, the ads helped to convince me to buy a 1962 Vespa 125 scooter and a couple of years later, my cousins gave me a (really) clapped-out 1958 Allstate (Puch) 125cc motorcycle for free (since they couldn't sell it), which had a oval rear wheel, the cooling fan removed, the muffler insides removed and various other issues too horrible to mention.  But it did get me down the road, bouncing up and down, for a year before I finally gave up and did something unspeakable to the bike - which I can no longer recall.  ::)  After that, I bought a 1963 Yamaha YD3 touring smoke-bomb.  ::)

Did the ads eventually convince you to buy the ladies underwear  ?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:55:14 pm by Jako »
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 02:14:30 pm
Did the adds eventually convince you to buy the ladies underwear  ?  ;D

;D

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:25 pm
Are you guys talking about Puch, an Austrian make available in the U.K. in the early seventies? I well remember one of their 125cc or maybe 175cc two-stroke singles in a dealer’s window. The cylinder head had a kind of starburst finning on it, a bit reminiscent of the Fanny B etc when they fitted the ill-fated AMC engine. IIRC they were made by Puch-Steyr-Daimler and went pretty well though were too pricey to compete with the Jap two-strokes. Or are you really talking about a Pugh, a make I’ve not come across?
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:53 pm
Are you guys talking about Puch, an Austrian make available in the U.K. in the early seventies? I well remember one of their 125cc or maybe 175cc two-stroke singles in a dealer’s window. The cylinder head had a kind of starburst finning on it, a bit reminiscent of the Fanny B etc when they fitted the ill-fated AMC engine. IIRC they were made by Puch-Steyr-Daimler and went pretty well though were too pricey to compete with the Jap two-strokes. Or are you really talking about a Pugh, a make I’ve not come across?

I was thinking of Puch, but since my memory isn't perfect, I thought I might have been mistaken about spelling as Bill seemed to know what he was talking about by spelling the brand Pugh (plus the forum spell checker didn't put a red line under that spelling of the name).  So Rattlebattle, it is nice to know that I might have been right in the first place.   :)

Puch was the inventor, and to my knowledge the only manufacturer, that used the "Twingle" combustion design in their 175 and 250cc two-stroke engines.  It had two linked combustion chambers, with two small, slightly off-set pistons, on the same connecting rod.  The rear combustion chamber was fed by a single carburetor and the front combustion chamber expelled the burnt gases through a single exhaust pipe.  A very interesting and fuel-efficient design that eliminated the deflector piston that was used in most other two stroke engines up until the 1940's.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:10 pm
I think they are talking about the Puch.

The only thing I can find about a Pugh is the "Hurley-Pugh".
It was a British motorcycle made from the 1920's thru the end of WW II.

Needless to say, they weren't imported into the US in recent times.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:01 am
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the Puch split single as we called them. It was an attempt to separate the incoming mixture from the exhaust gasses IIRC. I have a line drawing of the engine in an ancient book on motorcycle maintenance I bought with school prize money. The headmaster wasn't too pleased as he expected me to buy a book relating to whatever subject it was.....Thinking about the manufacturer I think it was Steyr-Daimler-Puch, not as previously stated. Apologies. The single I was referring to had a conventional piston port engine. The bike seemed to be very well made but was too expensive for its capacity.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 11:54:29 pm
I'd like the twin to have good locking-top panniers such as Bates used to make.
The Puch (pook) trail bikes were similar to the Zundapps, both framed by specialty firms like Rickman. I had a wretched Puch twingle, a 50s design intended to allow a 2-stroke to run on poor gas for speeds up to 50mph. I sold it and bought a faster Zundapp Super Sabre. IFRC, DKW and NSU made race twingles in the 60s. I'll shaddup now. ;)
Lurker on a Vespa

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 05:46:46 am
My bad, the G is too close to the H, TYPEO.???? The spelling of the Austrian motorcycle cycle company is Puch.

Old people!

Cheers,
Old Bill
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:59:53 am by Bill Harris »

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: December 18, 2017, 04:07:20 am
I would like to see high pipes and aggressive dual sports tires as an option on the Interceptor, as well as a sump guard.  What do all of you think?

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 11:50:55 am
Oh, Yeah!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: December 31, 2017, 10:20:05 am
Well Blairio - you just took me back to my Grammar School Days...... Yes U.K born (now in Perth Western Australia) with your reminiscing on the mopeds, we were allowed them at 15yrs old, and yes had to be able to pedal them home if required  :) Mates had the "Yammie Fizzer" or the Suzuki, one had the Fantic "Chopper" whilst mine was an "A.J.S" - desperation by a dying btoish motorcycle company taking an Italian Engine (Moto-Minarelli ??) in a cradle frame, no battery, candle for headlight and a speedo that snapped cables  until I just gave up......but still quicker than the others in my "Barry Sheene" replica helmet .......o.h the days.......and the Kwaka H1 that tried to kill me with a frame as rigid as a pair of hinges welded together !
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 03:41:38 pm
These should be available immediately! They would be my first Mod.
Sorry I did such a lousy editing job, but it's enough to get the idea.
Cheers...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)