Author Topic: What would you like to see as accessories on the new twins?  (Read 22702 times)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 03:15:50 pm
There has been a fair amount of English input to the development of the 650. Also, the bikes are to be assembled on a new production line, not hand assembled (which RE actually use to use as a positive attribute...). I don’t believe that RE does not have access to design know how (though I doubt it has in-house knowledge- but neither does Thailand where Triumphs are made). What remains to be seen is the extent to which RE is really influenced (or needs to be) by external markets, given that adequate profits are being made from the 90+% sales they make in India. It makes sense for bikes designed in the first world to be made in third world countries - all the established manufacturers do this.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 05:22:18 pm
Weren't "they" a bunch of ex-Triumph engineers? ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 05:53:18 pm
Weren't "they" a bunch of ex-Triumph engineers? ???
I don't know who remains. I know Terblanche quit, and I don't know who else. A couple years ago they had a headhunter company looking for people in the UK facility.

However,  I do remember the "snorkel bike" and that other custom thing they made.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:55:41 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 11:14:22 pm
  Storage. Easy way to take stuff on a ride. Throw a good looking, well integrated, saddle bag over the saddle. A wind busting wind screen. That's it.
  Customers shouldn't have to re design heads, combustion chambers, air intakes to get the engine's inherent capability to show up. Something is wrong. Stupid is a strong contender.
  Entitlement is a disease. The Brit industry had it bad. BSA named their motorcycles "consumer durables". Sounds like washing machines. In the real world, form follows function. If you want it run like a Lightning bolt, you might have some form, but it better function. Saying it looks like an Interceptor from the sixties isn't enough. The bike has to run, in today's market, as if Interceptor is a good descriptor of the machine's character, by today's customer. Entitlement means you believe you can release a machine that doesn't measure up, but you want people to dress up like it's 1965 and by the way, here's a motorcycle to go with your hip ensemble. They ought to be making clothes, not motorcycles.
  A passion for making a strong motorcycle is the essence. If you build the essence into the machine, you don't need marketing gimmicks. Buy one so you can pretend you're in London is a sick reason to sell and buy a motorcycle. Entitlement is just another mental disease.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 04:54:31 pm
To me that sums up the CGT exactly; what a limp wristed contraption that turned out to be, though there's a really good bike in there waiting to be liberated. I wonder how long the hipster craze will continue to thrive? I just wish they'd go pick something else (scooters?) and leave bikes to people who are interested in riding them hard and maintaining them. That way we might just get full power versions of what would then be pretty good. Having looked at the cutaway engine it's pretty obvious that it was built as a low power unit; the inlet tracts are very narrow. Why not build one that has more power? The cost would be similar assuming the basic design can take more power - it looks like it could easily do so.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 10:42:24 pm
A gear indicator.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 04:35:45 am
Either the Interceptor or CGT twins would be gorgeous with a sidecar! 8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:12 pm
Agreed!

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 01:43:21 pm
Oh Yeah!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

elysianforest

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:33 pm
I totally want a kickstarter. I am really sad that it doesn't seem to be on offer for these bikes.

I know I'm a relative newb here so my opinion is possibly not generally held in very high regard, but I've just got to say that RE, and their modus operandi, is the main reason I am back on a bike after nearly 20 years of relative avoidance due to a crash that really wasn't much fun. If I was looking for an 80hp bike I'd be looking at a brand that does that - not Royal Enfield.  I feel like part of the fun of RE is that you have a chance to actually get to know the bike: I can meaningfully upgrade it, I can take a few hours out of a weekend and decoke the head if I haven't jetted the carb properly, etc. I don't actually have a lot of interest in a motorcycle that I can't make better or fix on my own. I enjoy taking my RE to its limit rather it taking me to my own. I like that these scoots get comparatively decent fuel economy which I can trade in for more horses if I chose to. I get to make choices about a bike that reminds me of the bikes my father loved and the reason I became interested in the first place. Does that all make me a hipster wuss? Maybe so... but I'm having too much fun with my motorcycle to care.

Speaking of hipsters - they really seem to get a good deal of vitriol around here and other places, which is admittedly perhaps well deserved. What I never seem to see much mention of though is that nearly ubiquitous (at least around here) middle ager getting out of his Escalade every first Sunday to don his $1300 set of leathers and ride to the local "roadhouse" on a shiny and pristine $20k Softail. Why do these guys get more respect? Personally, I think that whatever gets you actually riding and having a good time is just fine by me.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 03:50:36 am
I would like to see Tank Kneepads, Fork rubber covers (Gaiters), Rear Carrier (Luggage Rack), Stainless Parts, and Braided Brake lines. What would you like to see as accessories on the new twins?

Actually, I would like to see all of these fitted as standard, rather than as options, although I guess that not everyone wants a rear carrier.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 04:13:08 am
Speaking of hipsters - they really seem to get a good deal of vitriol around here and other places, which is admittedly perhaps well deserved. What I never seem to see much mention of though is that nearly ubiquitous (at least around here) middle ager getting out of his Escalade every first Sunday to don his $1300 set of leathers and ride to the local "roadhouse" on a shiny and pristine $20k Softail. Why do these guys get more respect? Personally, I think that whatever gets you actually riding and having a good time is just fine by me.

I wasn't really sure what a hipster is or whether they are any better or worse than other trendies, so I looked for a definition. The one I found was 'Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.'  That doesn't sound like too bad a set of aspirations to me. I am way to old to be a hipster, but I think my son and his pals (boys and girls) probably fall into that category. Their preferred mode of transport is the bicycle, or occasionally a car from getting from A to B.

Defining yourself by the vehicle you sit on or in always struck me as odd, in the same way that arbitrarily asserting that someone who rides a motorbike is somehow superior to someone who rides a scooter (or vice versa). What genius came up with that one? I am old enough to remember groups of young men knocking 9 bells out of each other because one set turned up at a seaside town on scooters and the other motorbikes.  Madness. For most of my life I have had both scoots and motorbikes. There is a lot of fun and utility to be had from both.

On the middle aged owner and the $20k soft-tail .. we have our own version.  I call them 'Hell's Accountants'.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 01:46:51 pm
   Yep. A kicker would be nice.
   I suspect the lack of one is due to cost-effectiveness combined with current preferences by newer riders.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 04:53:47 pm
I doubt that it's a cost issue; I feel that it's more likely that they want to move away from the inference that a kickstart is needed in case the electric start packs up. I would think that with the new EFI and the fact that the electric start will have an easier time turning over the crankshaft a kickstart would not be necessary. None of the other modern twins has one. By contrast the early C5 bikes didn't have one and that could be a problem. The absence of a kickstart on the 650 is a shame because it's handy for freeing the clutch plates and for servicing the engine.

elysianforest

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 07:08:46 pm
It may just be a simplicity issue. Kickstarts used to be the norm and it was a novelty to have an electric start. Now electric starts are the norm and it's a novelty to have a kickstart. Having both does make for more parts than are strictly needed. I'd just rather have a kickstart (or both) on this size/style of bike.