Author Topic: Worm Nut / Quill bolt issue  (Read 7519 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 01:28:25 am
All RE's imported into the US since 1995 have the neoprene worm nut seal. They are easily obtainable. Cork was used for 50 years and worked fine, just wears out quicker.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:59 am
No, just the ordinary ones anyone can buy ...
 B.W.
That is basically what I expected; you just buy a small cork at local hardware store, drill hole in it and squeeze it into the worm nut  cavity. That is what I have done this summer and it worked fine.
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

dbmgassociates@gmail.com

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 01:02:40 pm
hi All - i just ordered the cork seal from the hitchcocks. do i need to just press them into worm nut or do i need to put adhesive to fix them inside? please advise.

thanks

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 12:10:45 am
So far I have used the neoprene exclusively. I have several cork seals and a cork Quill nut, but haven't got around to that yet. The corks are tremendously variable in consistency that I've bought. Also, BW shows his far inside the Quill nut, but all my corks are much longer than that; looks like they would need trimming to fit. I'd like to see a video of someone fitting up a cork seal, looks like an acquired 1930's-ish skill to me. Hitchcocks sell the neoprene for about $17 USD, and a neoprene seal can't shed chunks of cork into the oil passage leading to the crank as you press it home, which might not end well. I know cork is "traditional", but inadvertently fragging the crank on my dinosaur doesn't appeal. I'm certain Western Cycle Supply keeps these in stock as well.

I modified the quill bolt by rounding the tip with a fine file and 1500 grit. I think this will make it harder to inadvertently grab rubber or cork as you seat it home.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/crankcase/2246
PART No. 144452 ; WORM NUT, WITH BONDED IN SEAL ; £12.50

https://westerncyclesupply.com/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:54:50 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 01:27:36 am
There are also these:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/7612
PART No. 42114 ; OIL FEED RUBBER SEAL ; £2.20
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.