Author Topic: Fuel overflow box  (Read 3856 times)

Ragabob

• Scooter
on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:39 am
Hi All,
On my Thailand spec 2016 Classic 500 I have this unsightly blackbox, which I understand is a fuel overflow box. I am advised that this can be disconnected and removed and notice that UK, US and I ndian bike do not have said box. Can anyone shed more light as to whether I can remove it please.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:00:07 pm by Ragabob »

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:24 pm
Hi ragabob, and welcome to the forum!

Could you post a photo of the box, please?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ragabob

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:48:54 pm
Hi Heloego,
pic is already attached as blackbox.pdf

Ragabob

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:06 pm
jpeg attached now

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:31:26 pm
   Thanks. It didn't appear in my browser until you posted it a second time. Now I have two pics!  ;)
   I've never seen one of these, and my Service and Parts manuals don't show or address it or it's function. It IS pretty ugly.  ;)
   Have you contacted your dealer with your question? I don't know about Thailand laws regarding mods to your bike, but asking the dealer would be your best option at this time.
   Generally speaking, unless it would directly affect the operation of your bike, it could be removed.
   First check national and local laws.
'12 C5 Classic

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:46:15 pm
That box is the charcoal canister.

The fuel tank vents into it to prevent polluting the air with gasoline fumes.

Some people remove it and the associated hoses but I left the one on my California G5 hooked up.

I figure it's also letting air into my sealed fuel tank (the cap screws onto the tank filler and it has an O-ring to seal it) and it isn't a bad idea to have air filtered thru the charcoal to keep the dust and crud floating around in the air, out of my fuel tank.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:00:30 pm
If you do decide to keep it, maybe it could be relocated to somewhere less visible?  ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:09 pm
Thanks, Arizoni!
   Mine never had the California crap on it, so gee I just learned sumpin' new.  :-[
'12 C5 Classic

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:38:27 pm
The factory had installed the charcoal canister on my bike in a location that interfered with the engine case guard I wanted to install so I added a metal strip to mount it on the guard.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ragabob

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 04:42:13 am
Hi All, I have now had the charcoal canister removed. I agree it is not green and have no excuses. Guilty, however I reckon that one years riding on my bike will be equivalentto about ten minutes of a local Thai tuk tuk, truck or pick up. Still not an excuse though.
I would note and a friend also agrees that removal has made for a smoother ride, decreased vibrations slightly and made pick up through the gears faster. Looks much better as well. Cheers

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 01:53:06 am
The backstory on the canister.... In order to meet CA evaporative standards you almost have to have a sealed cap and a charcoal canister. I collected various caps (pictures and specs, we didn't pinch them) at the IMS show in LA around 2007-2008. We decided that I had the best chance of getting Triumph caps from the Bonneville. Skulls and Crossbones just didn't fit. We also sourced the screw type bung for the tank from an aftermarket supplier of Harley tanks. You will see Triumph's name on the bottom of most RE caps from CA. In the past couple of years they have sourced their own. You may also notice that the top of the tank bung is recessed in a CA model which is a result of the Harley bung. It required welding in the bung and some associated plumbing. The reject rate was in excess of 80% so we had to buy a lot of Harley bungs.

I bought them from Triumph dealers and sent them to India. At one point Triumph got wise and tried to cut us off. I then ordered a bunch from a buddy in the UK which worked. Then we started ordering them a few at a time from many different dealers in the US and Triumph didn't notice. They must have wondered how so many Bonneville caps got lost by customers!

The canister was another problem. For years RE had told me that they couldn't make a CA model because they couldn't source a charcoal canister in India. I found a canister that was already CA approved and called the manufacturer near Detroit (Delphi) to see about getting some. They told me "why buy from us, we make them in India anyway". Sure enough the factory was very near the RE factory. An "F" for effort but it eliminated the last excuse.

The available canister was/is butt ugly, but it was already approved and RE (wisely) did not want to develop one that they could hide and get approved. So it got hung on the most obvious spot available on the bike, but I didn't care since it opened up the market. The throttle body is the same except for a small tube that hooks to the canister. When the bike is started the vacuum from the manifold draws air through the canister and purges fuel and vapors which are recirculated. It is a controlled orfice and only required a tweak in the ECU. The performance should be the same with or without one.

All in all the effort was worth it

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 01:16:06 pm
Hi All, I have now had the charcoal canister removed.
I would note and a friend also agrees that removal has made for a smoother ride, decreased vibrations slightly and made pick up through the gears faster. Looks much better as well. Cheers

I think that just removing that butt-ugly thing from your bike has made you feel better about the bike in general. Sort of like having a giant tumor removed from your head  :) :) :) I don't understand how it could have much effect on how the engine runs one way or another.

(I am SO glad I've got an '08 with a carburetor).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:05:37 pm
I don't think Euro IV requires a canister - perhaps it's not as draconian as some believe. That thing looked truly awful there....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 12:13:30 am
By golly, your right Kevin.

I just went out and checked out the gas cap on my 2011 G5.

"Property of Triumph motorcycles" is neatly printed inside.

I'm not sure about the "property" part of it though.  It's mine, not theirs.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:26 pm
I had some fun with my charcoal canister box by telling those inquiring that it contained nitrous oxide which doubled the horsepower.  Fun wore off and the eyesore was repositioned to a drawer in my garage.  California bureaucrats never miss an opportunity to impose their will on the people.  Probably more emissions are leaked from backyard lawnmowers than any Enfield.  And as for the bike, it has performed well in excess of 14,000 miles without the box.