Author Topic: 2018 Dallas Progressive Motorcycle Show  (Read 11557 times)

fritz1914

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:36 pm
yes, im told that the himalayan and the twins will be at the dallas show first weekend of feb. im driving 350 miles to attend. im sure that royal enfield of ft worth will be there with goodies also. cant wait !

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 08:45:16 pm
Got tickets for the Dallas IMS on Sunday Feb 4.  Looking forward to seeing the new 650's, the Himalayan not so much!  Enjoy the show fritz1914.   Cheers, hp

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 12:33:57 am
Photos please!
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:47 pm
Went to the Dallas IMS yesterday.   Was disappointed that you couldn't sit on the new 650 REs as they were up on display stands.   Was surprised that the GT didn't have a center stand - RE rep couldnt say if production ones would come with one.  Really liked the tank badges and chrome tank on the Interceptor.   There was no 535 CGT on display.

Were loads of custom bikes and the Norton Owners Club put on their usual great display.  Was interesting that Ducati, Yamaha and KTM were no shows, and as usual Triumph never comes.   Thought the MV Augusta display was interesting - didn't HD buy them?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 05:09:08 pm
The cost to participate in the IMS shows are astronomical. One of the biggest costs is transportation. The only way CMW could participate was to use bikes from local dealers and hopefully staff. We could do the show with two of our own if dealers didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

I loved doing the shows. Meeting all of the great people there really invigorated me. The payoff though is tough to quantify. That is why many of the big guys don't go anymore. The show has gotten smaller and smaller over the years. In 1999 you had to fight for space the the tour was 13 cities. I think it is down to 7 now.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 02:33:29 am
“The cost to participate in the IMS shows are astronomical.”

I agree, and for enthusiast as well. Around $10 to park, $15 ticket to get in the door. Then $15 or more for a snack and drink. They are pricing themselves out of business. We had no IMS show here in the NW this year.

Why don’t they have the IMS shows at fairgrounds to keep the costs down? Renting the downtown convention center and parking is always spendy and it’s hard to get in and out of, unlike the fairgrounds in the wintertime.

The One Show (motorcycle show) here in Portland Oregon is always packed. The designers from Piaggio even came over to see it. For the people not aware, Piaggio makes Vespa, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, and of course Piaggio. They always have the show in an old and empty warehouse. The charge get in was only $10.00 to get in.

REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 04:21:32 am
Unfortunately the IMS shows are dying. There used to be 13/yer and I think it is now down to 9 or less. For the past 20 years they have been getting smaller and smaller as well. The "big guys" are what supports them and they aren't all in good shape which is why they have shrunk. It is VERY difficult to track the value of the shows other than anecdotally. Over the years I have only been able to track a small handful of sales to the shows. To be sure there have been more but the result is questionable for all of the brands.

The company that owns the shows also does shows for most any industry you can think of. With costs being what they are and motorcycle sales falling it is just too tough to expand these shows. An average small booth ( we used to rent 4 and RENA is doing more) is about $1,500/booth. If you are Harley etc. it gets to be a big number. However that is the tip of the iceberg. You have to have a decent display $20,000 - $500,000. You have to pay people to assemble it and disassemble it which takes hours. In some cities (NY, Chicago and others) you have to pay the unions. In many cases you can't even plug in your own lights. Many houses won't let you "roll" bikes in and out. You have to pay a Union guy to do it. Mostly we just pay and then do it yourselves. No negtive comment about Unions, just laying it our there. You have to pay people to be there (in most cases if employees of the company are there), hotel rooms, airfares, food etc. The really big cost is moving the booth, motorcycles and people from city to city. For example if I wanted to move 4 bikes from show to show that alone could be as much as $20,000.

To be sure it could be done at a county fairgrounds but Advanstar would want nothing to do with it and frankly the OEM's would welcome the opportunity to not have to attend. It's one of those deals where you are noticed if you don't show up and others do. For example Triumph disappeared for several years and it didn't hurt them one bit.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 06:50:45 pm
Fairgrounds might work for some but the Arizona State Fairground events aren't cheap either.

Several large gun shows use the local fairgounds a couple of times a year.
Parking is about $10 and it's about $20 to get in to the show.
Of course the food vendors are charging $5 for a 50 cent hot dog and several dollars for a soft drink. :(
That's why I quit going several years ago.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:00 am
It looks like we are down to only seven IMS shows now for next 2018-2019 winter season Nov. - Feb.  >:(

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/cities
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:10:25 am by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 02:11:31 pm
It looks like we are down to only seven IMS shows now for next 2018-2019 winter season Nov. - Feb.  >:(

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/cities

Soon to be only one show in Washington, DC?   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 02:38:00 pm
i agree with arizoni on those overpriced food venders. I just  love to relieve my patrons of a quick two or three thousand $$$ in a very quick time ;)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 05:47:34 pm
Perhaps another reason for the decline in shows is the lack of innovation in the industry . Remember during the Computer Rush, every month a new reason to buy another, bigger , faster, smaller, etc ? Now a computer show/ television advertisement is a thing of the past. They have reached their innovation plateau.  Something big must happen to relight that flame. I believe motorcycles are in that same boat now. Of course another obvious reason in the decline of bike sales is the new generation foregoing driving altogether.   
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 08:58:21 pm
        What's a Progressive Motorcycle?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 09:10:29 pm
        What's a Progressive Motorcycle?
They only turn LEFT? Who knows, good question though. 
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 07:09:02 pm
They only turn LEFT? Who knows, good question though.

For the people that don’t know, Progressive is a insurance company owned by George Soros.
REs I currently own:
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green