Author Topic: KEY ON= gauge peg discharge...repaired!  (Read 2684 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: January 25, 2018, 03:18:24 am
had an intermittent electrical gremlin eat'n my lunch for a while, the subject indicates the symptom. Located the culprit @ the relatively new tail light assembly. Thanks Arizoni for keepin me on the suspect lighting circuits & switches. Any recommended tail light upgrades? don't really wanna put the third assembly of this type back on.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:09:33 pm
I replaced mine with a Model A stop light. See photo.  It could be brighter, looks good.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:15:36 pm
Very nice, was it equipped with spade type connectors & the same mounting bolt spacing, or did you need to create new holes & add connectors? I did see that type of light assembly during my search but there really wasn't much info about it besides just the image. While I'm waiting on a replacement, I've epoxied the broken one back together, it functions properly but for how long? Hopefully till my new one gets here.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:26:00 pm
If I remember correctly, it came with bullet type connectors, I just snipped them off and soldered on some spade type connectors from the auto parts store. Then slathered those connections with a dab of dielectric grease and followed with a wrap of electrical tape.
As far as the mounting bolt spacing, I seem to remember some fiddling, I may have enlarged the existing holes or made new holes,..........whatever I did it was not enough of a problem to become etched in my memory.
And thinking about it a bit more and looking at the photo, I now remember that I did drill two new holes in the taillight bracket. The two attachment screws on the Model A light, are narrower than the stock mounts.  If you look very closely at my photo you can see the stock bolt hole just to right of the STOP light.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:34:39 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:43:06 pm
When I broke the original factory tail-light, I epoxied it back together, and it held for over three weeks til the new light arrived, and is still holding together unto this day (in a box in my junk drawer).

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 01:41:59 am
As we all know, as long as you have that replacement on hand, the epoxy will not fail.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 03:15:21 am
I replaced mine with a Model A stop light. See photo.  It could be brighter, looks good.

Damned straight it looks good!  If my OEM light goes south, as they seem prone to do, I'm likely to "go Model A" as well.  Hell, my lens is already not properly mating flush with its base...Maybe I should start shopping now.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 06:45:35 pm
Ya gotta love that STOP

It reminds me of the old tires sold by Firestone back around 1909- 1912.

The tread pattern repeatedly said NON SKID NON SKID NON SKID...  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary