Author Topic: 650 twin  (Read 41309 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: December 11, 2017, 01:22:46 am
I got a close look at both 650s at IMS Minneapolis this weekend.  RE had a prominent display with 8-9 bikes including a couple of Himalayans, several C5s, B5, and a white 650 GT and chrome interceptor.

Fit and finish looks good...better than a GT535.  Engine looks nice especially from the left but they could have made the crankcase cover on the right a bit less bloated looking.  Oil cooler and horns are tucked in nicely under the tank.  Fuel injectors and wiring are also hidden away nicely.  Rear brake fluid container looks a bit vulnerable.  Oil filter is between the front down tubes and should be really easy to replace.  The left footrest and direct gear shifter for the GT look great, but the Interceptor looks like a hack job with several linkage bits and levers used to get the shifter to a forward position.....I predict shifting will be more precise on the GT. Speedo numbers were printed white on black on these prototypes and they will hopefully not show up with the illegible grey on black mph that the newer GTs got for the US.

Congratulations to our “design team” on this forum as well......many of the improvements were precisely what the folks on this forum had been doing for mods and fixes to our bikes.  Someone from RE has been paying attention  :)

I had Marty put me down for an Interceptor  8)
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #106 on: December 11, 2017, 01:32:29 am

I have read claims that it will top the ton. It should be capable of anywhere between 100-110 mph.
The old Interceptor  Mk1a has a road rest on the Internet from 1966, and it managed 105 mph, even though they advertised 115.

Having 6 gears will definitely help. Then when Dynojet comes out with a Power Commander for it.....:)
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: December 11, 2017, 03:34:11 pm
I'd be surprised if it didn't top the ton. It has similar power to the old Bonnevilles and they certainly did, usually leaving a trail of bits that had fallen off. Bike reckons that the steering geometry should lead to less rider input to turn than on Hinckley twins. In common with other manufacturers attempts to dumb down riding skills it also has clutch assist - a sort of anti-stall device. I suppose Hipsters are more concerned with their reflection in shop windows than learning how to use the clutch properly....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #108 on: December 11, 2017, 11:19:14 pm
As a kind of hipster (sort of) as I live in a city, don't want a family and have longish hair (but no beard and nearly 47 years old), I wonder why you all are so down on hipsters. They like beer and bikes. I struggle to find that bad, although I search for mainstream rather than craft beer. Some even like Royal Enfields. The guys I know that have motorbikes are into maintaining, learning about and riding them (no different from you when young). Some even modify them! I wonder what term your Dads' used to describe you when you were young and making choppers etc.  Just hoping you to have a laugh at this post and consider buying that uber cool 650 intercepter.
Cheers heaps
Warwick   
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #109 on: December 12, 2017, 05:36:05 am
Good for you Warwick.  I like just about any body that likes motorcycles and respects others who ride, whatever it maybe.

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Old Bill, 71 years young and loves to ride

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 01:17:02 am
As a kind of hipster (sort of) as I live in a city, don't want a family and have longish hair (but no beard and nearly 47 years old), I wonder why you all are so down on hipsters. They like beer and bikes. I struggle to find that bad, although I search for mainstream rather than craft beer. Some even like Royal Enfields. The guys I know that have motorbikes are into maintaining, learning about and riding them (no different from you when young). Some even modify them! I wonder what term your Dads' used to describe you when you were young and making choppers etc.  Just hoping you to have a laugh at this post and consider buying that uber cool 650 intercepter.
Cheers heaps
Warwick

I hear you. Getting down on hipsters reminds me of old folks getting down on long hairs in my young days. These kids are making their own world. They should be able to do that too.

Now posers's that is different deal.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:20 am
I think that to be a genuine hipster you have to have a beard that is precisely 3 days old, probably a flannel shirt (pressed) and boots.

I think "hipsters" are a mythical beast. You have to understand that much of the hype about them being the core customer for RE comes out of India. Many of the RE riders there refer to themselves as "hipsters" as does the marketing dept. There is a large disconnect between what works in India and what works here. A little like the reason the CGT was a dismal failure in India. There never was a "cafe" culture there and all of the advertising dollars and wishful thinking didn't make it so.

My observation from many years of selling RE's and then watching customers in current dealerships says that the RE customer in the US is as eclectic as ever and young, middle aged and older folks are buying them. The younger folks have only come aboard though in the past 5-6 years and is a great sign.

Harley is starting to swirl around the drain for lack of younger customers in a motorcycle market that is already contracting faster than you can say Matt Lauer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:29:24 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 01:58:26 pm
I suppose in these days of the snowflake generation who need safe spaces to avoid having to hear nasty people say something different to the norm we more elderly riders are denied the privilege of being critical of the younger generation. FWIW I had long hair as a youth and was termed a greaser, essentially what followed rockers. We didn’t get on well with skinheads, who replaced the mods. ‘‘Twas ever thus.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: December 14, 2017, 06:33:22 pm
It seems like each generation does complain about the generation behind them. As an employer and businessman for decades I would disagree with that assessment. Most of my peers complain about not being able to find young people who want to "work". I think that has always been true regardless of the generation. It is no better or no worse than it ever was. On the same note there are many young people who want to work hard, excel, grow, keep learning, take on responsibility etc. As an employer it is also your job to nurture those folks.

I have also found that if someone looks like they fell face first into a fishing tackle box, has long hair, short hair etc. it doesn't matter as a predictor of being a decent employee. (I do draw the line at facial tattoos).

The young folks that are the idiots that demand "safe spaces", want to stifle free speech etc. it too shall pass. It won't be long till they are grinding it out like the rest of us. No different from the Jane Fondas etc. of my generation. One can only hope that unlike Jane Fonda you don't do something terribly foolish while you're young that will follow you the rest of your life.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:35:34 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: December 14, 2017, 11:25:45 pm
Who needs tattoos when you can have ‘get off’ bruises?!
Last Saturday I had to get off my ‘83 R80RT because a driver forgot to stop and see me. Yes, I had right of way, but I didn’t want to be dead right.
  I could say I’m glad I wasn’t on the GT. If I had been on the GT I probably would have been able to do a clean emergency stop. BTW, the Beemer held up like a German tank. Better than I did!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 05:31:47 pm
As an oldie I just want my turn at moaning about the younger generation, that’s all ;) Seriously, I try hard not to judge by appearances. There are plenty of clever young people just as there are lots of silly old bigots...and up-to-date clever ones. There’s no harm in taking the mickey as long as no offence is intended or taken.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #116 on: December 17, 2017, 05:30:33 pm
Good news...chrome has been added to the colour schemes for Interceptor and GT on the RE site. :D
Chrome Interceptor for me please! 8)
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

elysianforest

• Scooter
Reply #117 on: December 17, 2017, 07:48:33 pm
Good news...chrome has been added to the colour schemes for Interceptor and GT on the RE site. :D

That may be the best news I've heard yet today! Thank you!

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: December 18, 2017, 11:31:12 pm
I don't think there is another choice
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider