Author Topic: 650 twin  (Read 41950 times)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: November 21, 2017, 01:04:23 pm
I prefer a single manifold; unless racing, the advantages of twin carbs/injector bodies isn't worth the aggro of keeping them perfectly in synch in my opinion. FWIW I meant separate injector bodies not dual injectors on each body. Would a single one work optimally with a 270 degree crank I wonder? I wonder also if new owners will have to shell out for replacement NGK spark plugs, new chains etc. I suppose really the question is just how much has quality improved, not only in assembly terms but also in the quality of ancillaries used? Time will tell. The bikes on display will be show ponies; what will the production bikes look like? It'll be great to read what new owners have to say.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 01:17:07 pm
Each cylinder needs it's own injector, regardless of the throttle body layout.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: November 21, 2017, 02:19:24 pm
In addition to a chrome tank option, RE should install a chrome front fender option, as is on the original Interceptor that was on display at the show.   :)  I would rather polish chrome than wax a paint tank or fender.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 03:19:56 pm
Wheels need chrome too. Maybe even the back fender? ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 05:25:11 pm
I'll be all over the Interceptor Chrome version when/if they arrive in my neck of the woods. My C5 needs a stablemate & one of these beauties is just the ticket. 8)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #65 on: November 21, 2017, 09:53:26 pm
Chrome / Maroon would be nice...  ::) or maybe Chrome / Orange?  :o
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 09:10:25 pm
I have a question for someone from RENA.

Is the 650 that is imported into the US going to have a full 7" headlight or is it going to have that dorky little 5 3/4" sealed beam light that is used on the Bullet singles?

Worded another way, does the headlight on the motorcycle meet DOT's adjustable light requirements?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:51 pm
Well, today I saw the new 650 twins and, finally, a couple of Himalayans and also a C5 with cast alloy wheels. There was also a cutaway of the 650 motor. From this, close inspection of the bikes and questioning of a helpful RE (English) rep I gleaned the following: 1. The U.K. will get the first 650 bikes in June 2018. 2. The valve clearances are adjusted by adjuster and locknuts (ie the bike is intended to be home maintenance friendly. 3. Rep couldn’t confirm make of EFI. I had a look at it and the manifold is a single casting with an injector body on each side. The bores look quite small. 4. He told me that the price in the U.K. will be around £5,500 and (hurray!) there will be more powerful versions in due course. I think he’d got the message that actually it would be a really good bike with more oomph and that quite a lot of us were disappointed with the fact that it will only be A2 licence compliant at first ie 47bhp. 5. The U.K. would get them first - a lot of development happened here. 6. The reason for the delay in launching the Himalayan here is interesting. Apparently India has woken up to emissions control. They have introduced their standard B4 to replace B3 (similar to our Euro 3 and 4 but not the same. This led to the need to alter the production line to change the Bullet models to meet the new B4 standard - they are now EFI. That had to be attended to as a matter of priority so Himalayan production was curtailed, at least as far as the superior EFI one’s is concerned which is why Australia got the carb home market ones first. They had a white Himalayan kitted out with alloy panniers etc (think BMW GS), very nice too.
The general consensus of the people I spoke to was one of surprise at how good they looked in the metal (I have to say I think so too, but I’ll still wait for the more potent version). For me, apart from the (lack of) power issue I think they’ve nailed it. The bikes are physically smaller than the oversize Triumph twin like my Thruxton and are much more akin to the size of a sixties English twin. They appear to be of similar weight too. I preferred the cafe racer option to sit on though the single seat looks as daft as it does on the CGT; no doubt a dual seat would transform the looks and practicality. They also had an original Interceptor 2 and 250cc CGT. All-in-all I think they’ll sell by the boatload at that price. They do seem to be better made than the singles, though the Euro 4 ones are obviously the best yet. The rear disc brake looks good and the brake travel is a lot less. For practicality I’d like a cast wheel one.
There were a lot of bikes competing in this area such as Mash, Hero and other Chinese ones that are getting well-established in the UK. They are competitively priced and a quantum leap forward in quality to where they were only a few years ago. Anyone who rubbishes these Chinese makes would do well to remember what happened with the Jap bikes 50 odd years ago...

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 12:43:49 am
Thanks for the update and input on these. I really got to get up close to one & get some seat time on 'er. Waitin' on the Vancouver show this spring to see what pops up. Fingers crossed. ;)

Hmmm, just checked around a bit and there is no RE representation on the major Canadian bike show circuit. Not a big shock, as our folks always get it up the arse when it comes to trade. We can't even get Yamaha SR400's new here! >:(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:58:08 am by Fragman »
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 06:09:56 am
Well, today I saw the new 650 twins and, finally, a couple of Himalayans and also a C5 with cast alloy wheels. .... 1. The U.K. will get the first 650 bikes in June 2018. 2. The valve clearances are adjusted by adjuster and locknuts (ie the bike is intended to be home maintenance friendly.... 4. He told me that the price in the U.K. will be around £5,500 and (hurray!) there will be more powerful versions in due course. I think he’d got the message that actually it would be a really good bike with more oomph and that quite a lot of us were disappointed with the fact that it will only be A2 licence compliant at first ie 47bhp.

Lots of useful information in there, thanks. I just picked out three points to comment on.  At £5500 I think I am smitten. June 2018 will be a good time for someone looking for a good Enfield single from a dealer as I guess quite a few will be traded in for the twins.

I am surprised by the (backwards?) move to valve clearance adjustment by adjuster and locknuts. Yes, you can set these at home, but on the other hand, hydraulic tappets don't need set atall. Perhaps this was a manufacturing decision rather than a maintenance based one.

The A2 licence compliance power output is a canny move, as long as the bikes can be easily de-restricted to unleash their full potential.  These days 'retro' is very much still in vogue, and I can see an Enfield Twin being a desirable alternative to the (admittedly pretty good) range of Japanese 500cc machines.  On price the Interceptor will be battling against good bikes like the Honda CB500x at around £5750.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 09:24:00 am
Don’t forget that the 650 engine is SOHC. I’m not aware of any SOHC or indeed DOHC bike engines that have hydraulic valve lifters, only OHV bikes. Given the low specific output of the engine locknut and screw adjustment is adequate and saves messing around with shims. Also, valve adjuster access looks superb once the tank is removed and that should be simple with a quick release fuel connector. It gets my vote. BTW I forgot to add that, unsurprisingly at that price point, it is not RBW. There are twin cables operating a pulley very like the UCE one on the throttle body. Unlike the Triumph the throttle body on each side is part of a single manifold with the TPS sitting on the lhs throttle body. Given the small size of the inlet tracts I would imagine it would be simple to produce a more powerful version by increasing the bore but I haven’t seen the cylinder head so don’t know whether larger valves are possible. I’m certainly impressed. These bikes are not hand assembled, there is a new state of the art production line that, I was told, greatly impressed Alan Cathcart, a well respect d racer and journalist. Good times ahead methinks. The quality of the Euro 4 models looks amazing compared to my 2015....

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 09:28:33 am
I think the C5 wheels were the ones H's sell. The alloy ones. They did set the black C5 off nicely.

Good info RB. I hope they sell by the boat load. They've got my details compass onto the local dealer when the demo is available. Also hope there'll be a fairly decent finance deal as that's the only way I think one will sit in my garage. And that'll be the silver Interceptor.

I think Royal Enfield should be pretty happy with the response and interest they got/are getting from the show.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 11:40:11 am
Don’t forget that the 650 engine is SOHC.

Doh! I missed that. Yes, locknuts and adjusters are preferable to shims and buckets.

Rustygears

• Scooter
Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 08:15:03 pm
Has anyone actually sat on one of these things?  It looks to me like the peg position is back too far, meaning your legs will be curled up under your arse!  I"m to old for that.  Move the pegs forward where they are on the C5....

RJ