Author Topic: 650 twin  (Read 42028 times)

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 03:15:25 pm
I read something about March 2018 for Europe. Maybe  that means US too?

Maybe it’ll appear at the same time as the Himalayan in Europe & North America?  ;D

Or has that fiasco been shelved?

John

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 09:03:05 pm
why still keep the stupid oil level window instead of a dipstick? why has the Interceptor not got 'proper' footpegs?
And why is there no evidence of one actually running apart from the test bikes...oh yes no fuel......really!
Like the GT black and gold, hate all the other colours, bad choices (to modern for the look perhaps) on a good looking bike (IMO)
need a test ride NOW!!!!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 12:50:37 am
Sure hope they make some of these in a classic style with chromed tank & mudguards. ;D

No matter the colors really, as these machines are a blank canvas for creating the beasty of one's own desire. A set of un-baffled Norton peashooter style mufflers would be my 1st mod on one along with an EJK fuel controller. 8)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 01:16:12 am
Absolutely Stoked! This bike looks great!!! It really looks likes the original interceptor! Love the orange interceptor and the blue GT (other colours not so sure and would love a chrome tank version). I am very much hoping that the price is right in Australia, particularly as triumph are discounting their speedtwins. I cant wait for the ride reports as am keen to test ride one! Only gripe is that I was hoping it would be 750 rather than a 650 but that's a minor gripe! I am sure with a set of pipes it will sound great and go well enough. If I want faster I will just ride my CBR. Great job RE!!!!!!!!!
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:28 pm
This article states that H-D, while only having 25 H-D dealers in India, owns the #1 spot in that nation’s 600cc-plus category. No wonder RE wanted to develop a 650 model. It looks like Indian riders are trading up in displacement:  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2018-harley-davidson-sport-glide-first-ride-review.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 08:49:33 pm
Maybe it’ll appear at the same time as the Himalayan in Europe & North America?  ;D

Or has that fiasco been shelved?

John
I've heard rumor that the Himalayan price has been set around $4500, and they fixed the headlight issue.  So I would suspect the US release will be sooner than the twin....

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 02:33:56 pm
We may get to see the 650 at a show before the US or Australia here in the UK (I'm going to the NEC next week - the bike show opens today and the 650 should be there), but Australia beat us to the Himalayan, which still isn't available as far as I know. I shall ask when both are planned to be at the dealers, or are they defined to be "vapourware" indefinitely.....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 02:54:57 pm
Sat on both today!

For me, the Interceptor is the most comfortable. For my legs to feel best 'in the tank' so to speak on the Continental, I had to sit back further but didn't feel bad on the wrists. Obviously test ride would be better.

Rattlebattle, they have the Himalayan at the show. For whatever reason, I forgot to try and sit on it. What an idiot.

I also didn't take as many pics as I thought I would. We all know what they look like so didn't think my photography skill would do no better than what we can see on the 'net already.

The Sea Nymph colour on the Continental is very nice. Better than the white. it looks like stickers on the tank for the white one. The black/red Interceptor had all the trick bits on it.

*edit*

Almost forgot.

Price.

When I asked, I was told well sub £6000 otr. The 535 is currently £5149 on the UK site. I'm thinking maybe £56-5700. ny the pic above, looks like quite a few accessories. The chap was also saying panniers will be available in the future. I'm guessing soft.

Filled out the form, local dealer will be in touch when demo is ready. Should be April/spring for UK though chap was more insistent on spring.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:03:46 pm by Carlsberg Wordsworth »

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 05:13:10 am
That is great news on the pricing.  Around £6000 on the road is very appealing. There are some odd choices in the options list though. Why not have fork gators as standard?  Also, swing arm bobbins? Do these bikes not have a centre-stand?  Or maybe some exhaust options cut into the space where the centre stand would be.  The aluminium billet brake fluid lid sounds a bit faddish.  We are getting into Harley territory here.  What's next, a branded "Enfield' bandana for your dog?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 11:55:16 am
David Blasco's blog shows a chrome tank Interceptor at the Long Beach show.

It also says that they will have center stands, and will never have kick starters.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

elysianforest

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:03 pm

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 05:29:01 pm
I really, really like the chrome tank! ????

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
 Bill

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 19, 2017, 06:46:19 pm
To me it's a shame they won't have a kickstart. Although I rarely use mine for starting the engine it is handy for freeing the clutch, especially if the bike hasn't been ridden for a while, and for servicing. And to me not having a centre stand IS bobbins ....
I shall ask whether or not there are any plans to produce a more powerful version. Also I'll ask about the EFI and whether or not it is a development of the system on the UCE singles, how one balances the throttles etc. I doubt I'll get any meaningful answers at the show but you never know....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 19, 2017, 07:46:56 pm
Dammit! I knew I should've wrote a checklist. I must admit, I was so looking forward to sitting on one that most things I was going to look for slipped my mind.

Rattlebattle, please check when you go lol. They have the engine complete with throttles on show and some cutaways so you can see the gears etc.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: November 19, 2017, 07:52:06 pm
If they don't do a chrome tank version...well... :'(
Just noticed the polished alloy headlamp brackets on the Blue GT above, so much nicer than the grey painted ones. A nice easy mod for the existing 535 GT too. :)
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue