Author Topic: 650 twin  (Read 42027 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #90 on: November 27, 2017, 07:06:36 pm
The export market is really only a small segment of the overall RE sales, so they probably don't place us as a priority. It will be interesting to discover just how many of the 650cc units sell in the home market.

At this time I'm perfectly happy with the C5 for 50% of my riding, and the Electra for around town blasts, thought once I received and install the sidecar (any day now  ;D ) the C5 will be relegated to a bit more conservative (read "slower") riding with the missus, and the Electra for my solo adventures.

As for the 650 I think I'll not get one of the new crop. Maybe later I'll find an original for a good price. After upgrading the Electra I find I like the energizing response of a good carb.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:31 am
There seems to be a shortage of decent windscreens these days. The Avon model available from hitchcocks looks very efficient, but is huge. Givi screens tend to only have two mount points, and wobble about in an alarming way.  I have an old 'hand-me-down' screen from one of my brothers.  I think it is from the mid 80's but not sure.  It started with 2 handlebar mounts, but I fashioned another 2 from old wing mirror fittings. The result is rock solid, offers protection from wind and rain, and seems to be streamlined enough to improve performance. The only downside is that some mechanical noise is reflected back - but hey - its an Enfield, and the soundtrack of the engine is part of the experience.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:47 am
  Got a chance to see  both new twins at the NYC show today.  And I'l tell ya.... I was VERY impressed !   NICE !  Very well done with the both of them.  Fit and finish I think are excellent.   I want one of those Chrome Interceptors NOW instead of waiting for them to work the kinks out!  LOL !    But... they are claiming they won't be here until the second Half of next year.  ::)   Under 7 grand for the price here they claim as well.  It's a steal I think at that price .   I paid 7 grand out the door for my C-5 back in 09'.

Also got to see the Himalayan in the flesh as well for the first time.... I like that one too !    Fit and finish and quality look to be just as good as the new twin's,  anyway.    BIT under powered t for the states I think... more then a bit  !   But it is also a steal at around 4500 bucks.  But that bike would do well with the UCE motor in it I think.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:21:12 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:59 am
[quote author=gashousegorilla link=topic=25664.msg296541#msg296541 dat

Also got to see the Himalayan in the flesh as well for the first time.... I like that one too !    Fit and finish and quality look to be just as good as the new twin's,  anyway.    BIT under powered t for the states I think... more then a bit  !   But it is also a steal at around 4500 bucks.  But that bike would do well with the UCE motor in it I think.
[/quote]

I rode with a group of UCE 500's and a Himalayan ( carburetor model) , the Himalayan was faster then the 500's out on the highway and pulled away from us on the hills .
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:04 pm
  Interesting, that is good to know.  Thanks Jako.   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: December 04, 2017, 01:48:26 pm
I thought that the Euro IV spec Himalayans  looked a lot better in the flesh, especially the white ones. It doesn’t surprise me that they’ll keep up with a UCE. The engine is ohc and relatively powerful for its capacity. I like them. The panniers look useful too. I believe it’ll be competitive in the U.K. against others in the current wave of small capacity GS type bikes as long as the quality is ok, which it now should be.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: December 04, 2017, 10:33:18 pm
Without wanting to turn this into a Himalayan thread (time for a new section?), I'm planning on going to the open day RE have at selected dealers on the 16th in the UK. At £4199 + on the road cost that beats the Suzuki 250 by £4-500. So a pretty cheap adv bike. I just got an insurance quote just to see where it stood and that's pretty cheap too.

I'd like to test ride when a demo's available.

paulie

• Scooter
Reply #97 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:10 am
Wondering what 47 bhp feels like, I dug out my old workshop manual for the 1969 Triumph 650 Trophy I had many decades ago. Lo and behold, 47bhp. Then I checked the specs on the 1973 Triumph 750 Tiger I also had. Also stated as 47bhp. Well, they were powerful enough. But I was a lot lighter then too.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: December 05, 2017, 04:05:23 pm
How does the weight of the RE compare to those bikes, I wonder? They went well enough though wouldn't stand full throttle for miles on end, certainly my T140 wouldn't - fast or far, but not both....
The other things I've learned from the Bike article and associated pictures is that the fuel filter is the more normal spin-on cartridge and is located at the front (should make filter changes easy) and that with its short stroke and relatively low revs for a four valve head ohc engine, mean piston speed is low (17m/sec) and well within the maximum. I reckon with lumpier cams, higher compression pistons - only 9.5:1 as standard - and biiger inlets there'd be a pokey engine. The steering geometry is sharper than the Triumph 900 bikes and the 650 weighs less and produces more bhp/litre. I'll definitely have a test ride on one, though I'll try a Himalayan too. The 650 was designed in the UK, which probably gives it the edge on the Himalayan for me, but who knows?
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:29 am
How does the weight of the RE compare to those bikes, I wonder? They went well enough though wouldn't stand full throttle for miles on end, certainly my T140 wouldn't - fast or far, but not both....

A mechanic pal of mine used to say of our old british bikes - you can have any two of 'fast', 'reliable' and 'far', but not all three. To get all three you needed to buy a Japanese machine.

The Himalayan is starting to sound more appealing, especially if quality control is sorted out. To be nippier than a UCE Enfield it must be a heck of a lot lighter. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 08:44:51 am
A mechanic pal of mine used to say of our old british bikes - you can have any two of 'fast', 'reliable' and 'far', but not all three. To get all three you needed to buy a Japanese machine.

The Himalayan is starting to sound more appealing, especially if quality control is sorted out. To be nippier than a UCE Enfield it must be a heck of a lot lighter.
Google search says the Himalayan is 191kg.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:26 am
Google search says the Himalayan is 191kg.

Interesting, the UK Royal Enfield site gives the B5 or C5  bullet's kerb weight as 195kg, and the Himalayan's as 185kg. Kerb weight is defined as 90% fuel and oil.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 12:56:05 am
....this makes the Himalayan 5% lighter, but 9% down on power - 27.2hp for the Bullet vs 24.5hp for the Himalayan.

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #103 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:52 am
I apologize if this has already been discussed. (I think it probably has.)
Does anyone have an idea about top end for the 650?
...Jimmy
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:24:43 am by SSdriver »
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #104 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:12 am
I apologize if this has already been discussed. (I think it probably has.)
Does anyone have an idea about top end for the 650?
...Jimmy

I have read claims that it will top the ton. It should be capable of anywhere between 100-110 mph.
The old Interceptor  Mk1a has a road rest on the Internet from 1966, and it managed 105 mph, even though they advertised 115.
Home of the Fireball 535 !