Author Topic: Stock rubber hose vs Himalayan's steel brake line  (Read 5604 times)

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:45 am
I felt the stock brembo rubber hose not capable of transferring the brake oil without getting expanded throughout. I heard it crying to be replaced with something stronger. I began exploring options , importing to India seems to be very costly and HEL costs around 80 USD in India.
So , I went for a DOT certified one that comes with RE's own Himalayan. Installed it along with new DOT 4 and bybre(brembo) pads .. The result is a much firmer progressive feel ,but not a sharp bite. Fellow Classic owners who changed to steel lines , Could you please share your braking experience after upgradation ? Is it supposed to be a sharp two finger braking or a firmer progressive feel ?
The thump keeps me alive

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:16 pm
I changed to Braided SS hose immediately after getting my C5.
Braking is positive and I can use only two fingers for normal braking.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:32 am
I went with a braided stainless steel hose supplied by CMW/REFW, got sintered copper pads on closeout sale cheap from CMW.  It never occurred to me to use less than all fingers but stopping is real nice.  :)

I never had a problem with my stock 2015 C5 brakes either, including rear. Just wanted to upgrade for more safety.  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:27 pm
Thanks , grand gearheads for the response. I would like to post some pictures of the installment.
The thump keeps me alive

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:26:18 pm
I replaced the hose on my 2015 with steel braided hose from Hitchcocks not long after I bought the bike. I do this to all bikes I buy that still have rubber hoses. A lot of manufacturers fit braided as a matter of course these days anyway, as they should in my opinion. I generally only use two fingers on the front brake lever too; it’s much more sensitive than a bunch of fives (ok, fours.....). With braided hose there is no sponginess at all and very little lever movement before the pads start to bite. I’ve just changed the fluid in mine this pm, a job that is as easy as it gets. I wish I had a disc brake on the rear ( but not enough to trade mine in for a 2017 and have to start sorting it all over again). :)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:34:48 pm
My GT came with steel braided lines, but I have changed from stock to braided lines on several other bikes to the same end.  Better response!  Even did it on my VT750.  Glad you were able to source some lines.  Enjoy the stopping! ;)

arindamcc

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 05:22:39 am
Can any one please let me know the Royal Enfield C5 2017 with Byebre brake line specification. Banjo size,banjo bolt size, banjo angle, total length of hose  etc. Because I want to order HEL Custom Brake Hose.Thanks.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:18:06 pm
Hel part number for a C5 up to 2014 is  HBF6752
which is the latest year HEL list, you could try sending them an email to make sure they have the correct fittings for your bike.
http://www.helperformance.com/royal-enfield-classic-500-2011-2014
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.