Author Topic: Honda Super Cub history blog  (Read 2986 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 20, 2017, 10:46:18 pm
If you are of a certain age you might find this blog and the attached video interesting:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/100000000-honda-super-cubs-how-many-is-that-and-what-does-it-all-mean.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:57:52 pm
Although I never owned a "Honda" 50 Super Cub, my first motorcycle was a blue Honda Sport 50 which was basically a Super Cub without the "step thru frame".
It looked like a real motorcycle.

I was in College at the time and I found a used Sport at the local motorcycle dealer.

It burned oil but the price was right.
Shortly after buying it I got a new piston and piston rings and decided to rebuild the engine, right in the middle of the living room in the two room apartment I was in.

That little 50cc Sport got me to class and to the place I worked at for 2 years before I decided to get something bigger.  (A brand new Suzuki 80cc two stroke).

About this time, I got married so I tried to teach my new bride how to ride the Honda.
After 2 low speed crashes, I gave up on that idea and parked the Honda next to the larger apartment my wife and I had moved into.

I didn't pay much attention to the Honda for several months but one day I did notice it was gone. :(

I went to the police station to report the theft but they were busy and staying there would make me miss the first class of the day so I said to hell with it and went to the class.

About 6 months later there was a knock on my door.

Opening it, I saw a middle aged man and a 16 year old kid.
I asked the man what he wanted.
He asked me if I owned a 50cc Honda?
I said yes, it was stolen a few months ago and I forgot to report it.

He told me his son had just bought it without papers at a local swap meet and when he tried to register it they told him that I was the owner.

I felt kinda sorry for him and his son so I suggested that if he payed me $50 I would sign the title over to him. (I've never been good at selling stuff.  I usually identify to closely with the buyer and end up cheating myself out of any profit that could be made.)

He said that sounded fair and payed me the price, and that's the last I saw or heard of my blue Honda Sport motorcycle.

As far as I know, it might still be running today.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:24:22 am
That is a great story, Arizoni. My first Honda was a new 1964 Super Hawk that cost $680, that I bought after a couple of scooters, an Allstate (Puch) 125 motorcycle and a Yamaha 250. The SH was my first real motorcycle that was able to tackle any distance.  :) My brother owned a step-through 90 that was pretty fast.  I borrowed it for a day and was able to see 65 mph downhill.  :o

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:03:58 am
I've had a few as winter /shop bikes, love them.
When you fall off in sub zero conditions the plastic legbshields snap.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:11 pm
  One of the motorcycle magazines declared its 'motorcycle of the century', the CB750. It did bring a huge change to the MC world. The Cub has merits to make it a consideration for motorcycle of two centuries.
  As a privileged kid, I rode a CB160. My high school coach had the Super Hawk.  Great utilitarian machines.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:17:16 pm
My first bike was a well used 68' cub. I did about everything possible to destroy it but failed. It was the perfect ride around the Sussex lanes at that time, i even used to strap my fishing gear to it, sure beat my bicycle. I finally did the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule on it. For no good reason i can recall i pulled the stator to clean and gap the points. I helps if one remembers to re torque the nut on the crank.....Duh! As a result of course it chewed up the key way.
 I tell you that poor thing suffered in my hands. I used to run it through the local woods, sometimes to the point where it finally stopped moving due to the Sussex clay packed up into the mudguards! Oh what memories. 8) 8)
Roverman.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 11:39:49 pm