Author Topic: The Blackhawk Saga Continues  (Read 16682 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 01:12:05 am
I don't have much to report.  I've been stupid busy training for this new system switch over at work.  While at the same time, training to be general manager of the store.  Needless to say I haven't had much time to wrench or ride.  Should be getting tax returns soon and considering converting my YZ450F to a street legal dirt bike.  Will cost me about $600 in parts (my cost of course) plus tags.  Geared right now it will do about 70mph in no time flat.  With some taller gears, she should ton up no problem.  She's every bit of 50hp on a 235 pound bike.  With the dirt gears, she absolute scares me at WOT past 2nd gear.  It's a 4 speed and will stand up in every gear without the clutch.  Seriously the nastiest dirt bike I've ever ridden.  Puts most of my old street bikes to shame.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 01:49:51 am
No progress as of late.  I've been working crazy hours lately, averaging 7-10 hours of OT a week.  Besides the boss, I'm usually always first one in and last one out.  Paychecks have been nice, but would also be nice to have a little free time.  I'm hoping next weekend I can start making some progress again.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:46 am
Finally, some progress!  I put in my notice at work Monday and was told to get my things Tuesday morning.  So with a few days of unexpected off time, I decided to take advantage and get some work done on the motor.  I got the all my clearances finally cleared on the case halves.  Was really just a matter of removing the casting marks on the right side.  But for the first time, had both case halves together with cylinders and pistons and was able to rotate the entire assembled bottom and top end around.  Yay!

Tomorrow's mission will be to take the rotating assembly over to a machine shop in the metro that my local vintage Brit expert recommended.  I'm going to see if they can balance the assembly while they are at it.  Then I'm going to speak with ARP to source correct cylinder/head studs.  And finally, drop off my case halves to the machine shop next door to my old employer to have the oil tank TIG welded, and also have them machined for the O ring modification.  Will be a busy day for sure.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:21 am
A pic of the bottom end together temporarily.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:59 pm
Well found a shop willing to fit the rods to the crank.  Problem is, they will only do it if I provide over-sized bearings.  So another
order from HC's is needed.

Also, yesterday while tapping on the crank and case halves getting them separated, a mystery threaded insert fell out of somewhere.  Even ERC is stumped on this one, and I'm starting to think it fell out of the oil drain plug hole, indicating that there is a possibility a different style plug has been retro fitted.  Going to try and figure that out today.