HPRE

Menu

Author Topic: The Blackhawk Saga Continues  (Read 1420 times)

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Re: The Blackhawk Saga Continues
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 05:38:02 pm »
Hey Scott,

Just an FYI.  I put those K70's on one of my solo Urals.  They do not like Colorado's grooved cement pavement!

Otherwise, good to see your build progressing.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 06:23:57 pm »
Hey Scott,

Just an FYI.  I put those K70's on one of my solo Urals.  They do not like Colorado's grooved cement pavement!

Otherwise, good to see your build progressing.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Hey Dan!  How have you been?  Yeah, bikes in general I feel don't fair very well on the grooved pavement.  But, thanks for the heads up.  I still have your spare rain suit I need to get back to you sometime as well.
I know stuff.  Or something.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Scooter
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »
Honestly could be.  I won't lie.  Haha  Honestly almost looks like oil starvation..  Oddly enough, the head gasket on the left cylinder, the composite had started breaking away on one corner (from poor fitting over the head studs), but the flame ring was still in tact.  So, it was sealing enough for compression, but was leaking oil badly into the cylinder.  So, left piston was completely opposite condition.  Right piston almost too clean, and left piston completely covered in burnt oil.

Does anyone remember the exact piston and rod combo I came up with a few years ago?  I just remember BSA A10 rods that needed the big end bored slightly.   ;D  Every time I price out forged pistons and rods thru HC's I about crap my pants.  Almost  $1K after shipping and conversion rates, or $250 per part, or $500 per cylinder.  Either way you slice it, big money.

I guess time to look into all my old posts here.  I wonder what the heck title that even is that made that topic under.

You helped me out, H.o.O., so please allow me to do the same.  I believe that old post of yours from a few years back about piston and con rod options is found at: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,19408.msg230721.html#msg230721
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal in India.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 12:20:03 pm »
You helped me out, H.o.O., so please allow me to do the same.  I believe that old post of yours from a few years back about piston and con rod options is found at: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,19408.msg230721.html#msg230721

Thanks Bilgemaster.  I ended up deciding to go with Hitchcock's forged rods and pistons to make life easier.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 10:14:01 pm »
Finally found a little extra time to make some progress on the rebuild.  Got the new valve guides installed and took the heads over my buddies house and got them sized up for the new valves.  I couldn't find an actual spec for clearance tolerance, so we went .004 over on the exhaust side and .003 over on the intake side.  So, off top the head shop first thing in the morning to drop off the heads to get new seats cut.  So, hopefully will get them back by the beginning of next week and get them reassembled.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:54 pm »
More worms in the mix.  The forged rods don't clear the sides of the crank journals.  And the cylinders are apparently bored out to 71.83mm, which is a full millimeter over the pistons.  Pistons drop right thru the hole.  So, now it looks like I will need to replace the cylinders as well.  Man this is getting intensive.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:08 pm »
Were the pistons that were in it really damaged that badly?

Buying new cylinders sounds like a whole lot of money would be needed if you could even find any (and then they might not be the right ones for the lower case).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 12:28:06 pm »
Were the pistons that were in it really damaged that badly?

Buying new cylinders sounds like a whole lot of money would be needed if you could even find any (and then they might not be the right ones for the lower case).

Hitchcock's had new reman cylinders for 191 each and will fit partitions to cylinders at no charge of purchased together.  So not quite as costly as you'd think.  But, yeah.  The cylinder skirts are pretty thin.  I'm thinking these are .040 over Interceptor pistons.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:41 pm »
Okie dokie.  New cylinders and stock size forged pistons were ordered this morning.  I also have a box of returns going back to England, including the .040 over pistons that won't be used, and a few of and ends that done how got double ordered.  So luckily there will be about a 405 offset to help cover the new costs. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »
Also, hopefully my conrod big ends will be milled down today so I can actually Plastgage the big end bearings and verify clearance.  Luckily it's only costing me a case of beer.  Haha