Author Topic: The Blackhawk Saga Continues  (Read 16677 times)

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 11:38:02 pm
Hey Scott,

Just an FYI.  I put those K70's on one of my solo Urals.  They do not like Colorado's grooved cement pavement!

Otherwise, good to see your build progressing.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 12:23:57 am
Hey Scott,

Just an FYI.  I put those K70's on one of my solo Urals.  They do not like Colorado's grooved cement pavement!

Otherwise, good to see your build progressing.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Hey Dan!  How have you been?  Yeah, bikes in general I feel don't fair very well on the grooved pavement.  But, thanks for the heads up.  I still have your spare rain suit I need to get back to you sometime as well.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #32 on: February 10, 2018, 03:16:49 am
Honestly could be.  I won't lie.  Haha  Honestly almost looks like oil starvation..  Oddly enough, the head gasket on the left cylinder, the composite had started breaking away on one corner (from poor fitting over the head studs), but the flame ring was still in tact.  So, it was sealing enough for compression, but was leaking oil badly into the cylinder.  So, left piston was completely opposite condition.  Right piston almost too clean, and left piston completely covered in burnt oil.

Does anyone remember the exact piston and rod combo I came up with a few years ago?  I just remember BSA A10 rods that needed the big end bored slightly.   ;D  Every time I price out forged pistons and rods thru HC's I about crap my pants.  Almost  $1K after shipping and conversion rates, or $250 per part, or $500 per cylinder.  Either way you slice it, big money.

I guess time to look into all my old posts here.  I wonder what the heck title that even is that made that topic under.

You helped me out, H.o.O., so please allow me to do the same.  I believe that old post of yours from a few years back about piston and con rod options is found at: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,19408.msg230721.html#msg230721
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 06:20:03 pm
You helped me out, H.o.O., so please allow me to do the same.  I believe that old post of yours from a few years back about piston and con rod options is found at: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,19408.msg230721.html#msg230721

Thanks Bilgemaster.  I ended up deciding to go with Hitchcock's forged rods and pistons to make life easier.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 04:14:01 am
Finally found a little extra time to make some progress on the rebuild.  Got the new valve guides installed and took the heads over my buddies house and got them sized up for the new valves.  I couldn't find an actual spec for clearance tolerance, so we went .004 over on the exhaust side and .003 over on the intake side.  So, off top the head shop first thing in the morning to drop off the heads to get new seats cut.  So, hopefully will get them back by the beginning of next week and get them reassembled.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:54 pm
More worms in the mix.  The forged rods don't clear the sides of the crank journals.  And the cylinders are apparently bored out to 71.83mm, which is a full millimeter over the pistons.  Pistons drop right thru the hole.  So, now it looks like I will need to replace the cylinders as well.  Man this is getting intensive.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:08 am
Were the pistons that were in it really damaged that badly?

Buying new cylinders sounds like a whole lot of money would be needed if you could even find any (and then they might not be the right ones for the lower case).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:06 pm
Were the pistons that were in it really damaged that badly?

Buying new cylinders sounds like a whole lot of money would be needed if you could even find any (and then they might not be the right ones for the lower case).

Hitchcock's had new reman cylinders for £191 each and will fit partitions pistons to cylinders at no charge if purchased together.  So not quite as costly as you'd think.  But, yeah.  The cylinder skirts are pretty thin.  I'm thinking these are .040 over Interceptor pistons.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:18:47 pm by High On Octane »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 06:00:41 pm
Okie dokie.  New cylinders and stock size forged pistons were ordered this morning.  I also have a box of returns going back to England, including the .040 over pistons that won't be used, and a few of and ends that done how got double ordered.  So luckily there will be about a £405 offset to help cover the new costs. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:27 pm
Also, hopefully my conrod big ends will be milled down today so I can actually Plastgage the big end bearings and verify clearance.  Luckily it's only costing me a case of beer.  Haha

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:25 pm
Didn't have any parts lined up for test fit or assembly this weekend.  So, I was able to get out for some much needed seat therapy.  I met up with my good friend and owner of Supernova Jerseys yesterday, and we hit up the MX track and trails at IMI Motorsports Complex in Erie, CO.  Actually, the same place I raced the Blackhawk on the circle track.  Was a great day to ride with temps in the high 60's F, tho it was quite windy and dusty.  Was pretty cool tho, because a Colorado drift car club was there having a meet on the road course.  Was a pleasure to the senses with scents arraying from burnt rubber, to methanol to pre-mix.   :D

As for the build, the replacement cylinders and pistons were marked as shipped this morning.  So, will hopefully have those in my possession soon.  So, if there is any good be had from this ordeal, at least I will have brand new cylinders with all the fins, back to original bore with the option to oversize in the future.  Plus, apparently when you order cylinders and pistons together from HC's, they fit the pistons and rings to the cylinders before shipping.  So, when I get them, I will be able to go right in.  With the exception I will have to check for conrod clearance.  Bad news is, the shipping quote to return parts back to HC's was over $200!   :o  So, I'm going to post them on a couple of Facebook pages and just try to break even on them.  I would post them on here, but I know Kevin doesn't allow that.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:27 pm
Got my rods back a little while ago.  Hopefully they fit now.  Will get the big ends plastigaged tonight.  Hopefully all goes well.  I've had enough surprises with this project.  Haha!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:19 am
Finally ready to start making some progress!  Not only did I receive the new cylinders and pistons today, but I also got the call from the head shop that the seats were cut and heads were cleaned and ready to go.  Everything looks great so far.  It's exciting knowing I finally have everything coming together.   :D  Sunday, I'll be going over to Steady Eddie's house to start mocking up the cylinders and case halves and make any modifications needed for clearance issues.  Going to try and get the heads reassembled tomorrow after work.  Might have this thing ready for the riding season after all!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 03:45:01 am
And, of course.  Some pics of the cylinders.  They may have fitted the pistons, but they certainly didn't clean up their mess.  The cylinders and pistons are covered in machining oil.  Nothing a couple cans of brake clean can't fix.   ;)

I guess one blessing in disguise is that now I will at least have a show capable motor without any broken cooling fins.  I guess I had better get all the shiny parts polished up real nice.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 01:54:32 am
Shit is getting real intense.   Just ordered this today just to be able to machine con rod clearances in the case halves by myself.  Seriously considering disassembling the heads again and gasket matching the intake ports.  I already gasket matched the intake manifold years ago, and always wanted to do the heads, too.  Nothing real crazy.  Just about 3/4" deep so there is a nice smooth transition all the way from the carb to the valves.

Might as well at this point.  Why?  Because I'm already balls deep in this build.  And because I found out the tech school has a flow bench that hasn't been used in about 2 or 3 years, and the instructor and I want to fire it up!    ;D