Author Topic: The Blackhawk Saga Continues  (Read 16678 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 19, 2017, 11:05:57 pm
Well look at this.  The Blackhawk is on a lift.  What could it mean?    :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:59:30 am
The new owner brought it in for repairs?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:50 am
 That it has come home to roost ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:27:54 pm
She's finally getting all the love and finishing touches I could never afford to do.  Engine is coming apart and getting the case halves O-ring mod, all new gaskets and seals, new primary chain and timing chain, new stator and reg/rec, new tires and tubes, new valve springs.  And that should pretty much do her up good.  May also be installing a Smith's clone GPS speedometer.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:45:54 pm
Who knows?  Maybe it can also get a proper primary cover that holds oil so the primary chain and clutch can actually get lubricated?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:36 am
Who knows?  Maybe it can also get a proper primary cover that holds oil so the primary chain and clutch can actually get lubricated?

Or a belt drive.  Who knows what's in store?!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:59:32 pm
Ordered up some K70's yesterday.  Going to be placing a large HC order on Sunday.  Decided to replace the timing and magneto chains too while I'm in there.

Is there any other odd ball parts that I should replace while I have the engine split and torn apart?  Anything oil pump wise? I know the worm gears aren't the best.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:10:03 pm
Maybe consider modifying you oil pump spindle to fit a securing bolt, like on the interceptors. These things have a tendency to groove into the front pump shield/lid and break.

Andreas

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:51:42 pm
Maybe consider modifying you oil pump spindle to fit a securing bolt, like on the interceptors. These things have a tendency to groove into the front pump shield/lid and break.

Andreas

This the first I've heard of the 700s having oil pump issues.  Only mod I've ever heard of is installing a return pump on the feed side to increase oil volume.

So looks like the Interceptor and Connie have the same oil pump spindle.  And I see the "Securing Screw" in the Interceptor diagram.  How and where do you add that screw to the Connie motor?

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:26 pm
I don't know if it's a common issue, but on my Chief the spindle was broken and on at least all three return pump covers I have there were marks of the spindle rubbing against them (see attached image. Also I don't think they would have added that screw for nothing, so I modified that on my Chief, just in case:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,21851.msg282422.html#msg282422

Greets,
Andreas

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:26 pm
K70's showed up today!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 03:42:05 pm
Received my Hitchcock's order yesterday.  I knew it was my order as soon as I saw the mailman walking towards the shop with it.  How did I know?  Because it looked like someone put the box thru a garbage disposal and taped it back together!  Luckily it appears nothing was damaged.

I was EXTREMELY stoked upon unboxing the alternator adapter ring.  No more cast pot metal!  They actually machined it out of aluminum!  Yay!  It's the 4th one I've had to order as every single one before broke into several pieces upon disassembly for any reason.  So, so happy to see machine marks instead of casting marks.

I was originally going to rejet and ride my dirt bike today, but maybe I'll start taking the Blackhawk apart.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:03 pm

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 11:49:42 pm
K70's showed up today!

I want them! I want them!   :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 01:36:00 am
Well, I got the engine almost removed.  I couldn't separate the engine and trans because my 2 1/8" crank nut socket is in my toolbox in the livingroom.  But, I'll go into work early and try to get things separated and hopefully pulled out.  Then it's on to separating the case halves.  The machine shop next door will be marching the oil passages for the o-ring mod.  Then to see if I can actually put one of these motors ALL the way back together.  Haha.  So far, things have been coming apart smoothly.