Author Topic: The returne of the Chicagoland Fireball  (Read 4398 times)

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:33 pm
Ok, so back in 2013 I had my 2008 Iron Barrel modified with the Ace Fireball performance package.The full Monty! Tom got the headwork done for me, Chumma worked over the bottom end, I put it all back together. All was well until the timing went way advanced resulting in me needing the barrel to be re honed and  new rings and piston. (my bad) Once it was all back together the bike started burning oil and fouling plugs. no matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop fouling plugs. This is when Chumma offered to go over the bike for me and iron things out. So I sent him the bike. While he had it though, he mentioned a new way he was truing the cranks. I gave him the Go and,am  glad I did. The crank is now trued to .001" resulting in this thing being the smoothest single I've ever ridden. He also said they started doing an upgrade on builds where he mills the timing side case to accommodate a larger, more robust bearing. The stock bearing on the timing side is a 205, the drive side has a 305. As the motor runs there is considerable crank flex. The bearings take all the lateral load. The 205 is a hair undersized and is prone to failure on these bikes. They use a very high quality 205 bearing in their builds. Still, the only fireball which has had an engine mishap was a spun 205 bearing which happened after 35k miles. The new bearing Chumma has been using is a 2205 which is deeper and rated at 34KN of load strength. The 305 is rated at 37.5KN, and the original 205 comes in at 27KN. The 2205 is a better match to offset the crank load under flex. So this upgrade went into my build as well. Now, its time to tackle that fouling issue. Im sure Chumma thought this issue was going to be easy peasy.  But much to our chagrin, the engine kept fouling plugs. It wasnt until after pulling the bike apart a few times and alot of persistence did Chumma  trace the problem to the head even though all looked well there. Well,after stripping the head, and with the help of Aniket Vardhan( yes, Chumma had recruted the help of Aniket by this time. Did I mention these guys are terrific!) I'm not sure how they even saw it but, they noticed several tiny pinholes had worn thru the ceiling of the intake port right into where the intake valve spring seats. the metal there was only paper thin! Oil was being sucked  into the combustion chamber via the rocker & valve spring area. Once Chumma repaired this area the bike went back together nicely. I,ve had it back for about a week now and I'm really impressed. It starts on the first kick. Every time. unless I chump it! (like leaving the kill switch on). when I twist the throttle,it has a honking snarl that is rather melodic! Man,It pulls like a freight train.The power that comes on after 4k rpm is surprising I have to watch it though, because before I know it, I'm going way faster, way faster! Awesome! So if anyone wants to know. Yes you can get a Bitchen Ride from an Indian made, britsh designed, antiquated, Iron barrel Bullet! Ace Engineering is the place to make it happen.Just askfor Chumma. tell him I sent you! Ive included a Youtube link if you want to see and hear what Im talking about.The sound quality is not too hot but, you will get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEaTW6qe18
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Otto_Ing

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:17:49 am
Awesome bike.  8)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:12:49 am
Sol, I couldn't be happier now if that was MY bike even.
Rubber side down brother and enjoy it cuz I know how long you waited. :)
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:45:52 am
Nice! 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:23:06 pm
Thanks Fellas! The way it is now set up. I do believe It’s gonna be easy to enjoy!
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:55:56 am
Looks and sounds great
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:07:33 am
[...] This is when Chumma offered to go over the bike for me and iron things out. So I sent him the bike. [...]
Solg, did you sent the entire bike or just the motor?
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:28 am
I first introduced the 2205 as a Fireball option about 6 years ago. Mostly the Super Fireball users have it, but it can be used on any Bullet, actually. You have to deepen the bearing seat by 3mm, and slightly re-route the oil feed drip hole to that bearing.

It's a good mod for longevity and heavy duty applications.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:30 pm
Solg, did you sent the entire bike or just the motor?
  Tarnand, I wasn't able to  solve the persistent plug fouling issue on my own and, well, since I was going to be out of commission for a while anyway. Chumma offered to get my bike running at its peak potential.  So, I took him up on his offer and shipped him my bike.
  Although,In 2013 when I had the initial Fireball word done I pulled the bike apart myself and sent the cylinder head to Tom Lyons, and the bottom end to Chumma. When I got it back(see photo) it was pretty much plug and play. After I put it all back together with a fresh engine it started up on the 3rd kick!

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 07:32:12 pm
Thank you Solg.  I asked that question because having read your post I began thinking about completing the job on my bottom end and for that I would probably ask Chumma.  So far all OEM bearings were replaced with FAG, aluminum conrod with steel one, the floating bush with roller bearing.  Now only the flywheels remain OEM and that is what I am thinking of changing in hope to achieve as you stated: "the smoothest single I've ever ridden".  It is not that the vibrations are bad because they are not.  It is just that statement that appealed to me very much. Thank you.
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 12:13:07 am
Great success story.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

solg

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:04:54 pm
Thank you all. The bike is a success indeed! Due mostly to the tenacity & determination that Chumma brings to his projects.
(I think you can tell by now that I was impressed with how this guy treated the whole project as if he were working on his own bike. Passion and Competence.  Very rare to find.)

wfrpalm

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 08:26:33 pm
Very cool, have fun.