Author Topic: Bluetooth ODB like interface to access the ECU ?  (Read 6795 times)

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
on: October 15, 2017, 05:17:08 pm
I am a newbie here , got the 2016 Classic 500 (Indian) Squadron Blue.Does the stock ECU provide a port to access it's runtime data ? So that I could connect a Bluetooth dongle on the port to view data like RPM , AFR engine temps etc  on my Android or PC..
The thump keeps me alive

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:55:26 pm
The RE does not have an OBDII port like Triumphs etc that you can use either to connect via cable to a laptop or to a phone or tablet via a Bluetooth dongle. The only way of changing the map is by a piggyback device such as a Power Commander or Dobeck. Dealers use something called DOL to read faults and diagnose problems and there is an earth lead attached to the ECU that can be used to read faults via short and long flashes of the MIL. Sadly you can’t simply download a new map and install it on the ECU. I wish you could....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:03:19 pm
Are not the New Euro 4 models for all new motorcycles supposed to have this though?

If so, surely the new 2017 Enfields have the ability?

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:30:14 pm
AFAIK Euro IV requires bikes to have ABS brakes and to meet tougher emission standards; I’ve seen nothing that mentions a standardised port such as OBD II, which has been mandatory on cars since the mid noughties. I don’t know what, if anything RE has done about the fuelling to meet the higher standards, but a port in itself won’t affect this. There is still no requirement to measure exhaust gasses anyway. Eurocrats eh? Do they actually know what they are doing? (Rhetorical question). Anyway, the OP asked about a 2016 bike, so my answer remains the same.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:20 pm
Thinking about this some more and not having yet found anything that explains how the 2017 models got through Euro IV testing, I wonder if they now use wide band O2 sensors that are more effective in keeping the fuel mixture at stoichmetric throughout the entire revband? I know that the l/c Triumphs that meet Euro IV cannot now be remapped (at least outside of Triumph dealers) and that they have more sophisticated catalysers in the exhausts. Also that they self-adjust to different exhausts, like modern cars. This suggests they have wide band sensors but I don’t know. It could just be that the ride by wire throttles allow far more precise fuelling and ignition than do throttle cables. Whatever, they can no longer be home tuned by remappzing, which is why I went for the last of the air/oil- cooled ones. Does anyone know what RE has done to the 2017 models?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 02:05:24 pm
They reintroduced an air bleed system into the exhaust port.

upload high resolution photos
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:17:27 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:42:53 pm
They reintroduced an air bleed system into the exhaust port.

upload high resolution photos

One more thing to be removed by the new RE owner.  (Just trimming a little unneeded weight to make the handling better. ;)  )
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:40 pm
The PAV is the first thing I blocked after getting an aftermarker exhaust, as not blocking it caused severe backfire "pops" while decelerating
The thump keeps me alive

Otto_Ing

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:01:47 pm
Thinking about this some more and not having yet found anything that explains how the 2017 models got through Euro IV testing, I wonder if they now use wide band O2 sensors that are more effective in keeping the fuel mixture at stoichmetric throughout the entire revband? I know that the l/c Triumphs that meet Euro IV cannot now be remapped (at least outside of Triumph dealers) and that they have more sophisticated catalysers in the exhausts. Also that they self-adjust to different exhausts, like modern cars. This suggests they have wide band sensors but I don’t know. It could just be that the ride by wire throttles allow far more precise fuelling and ignition than do throttle cables. Whatever, they can no longer be home tuned by remappzing, which is why I went for the last of the air/oil- cooled ones. Does anyone know what RE has done to the 2017 models?

Thanks to VW everyone is now suspect. God knows why they have been really targeted, maybe because they were so arrogant? Or because they were so successful? Personally I don't care how RE succeeded making their bikes EU4 compatible, I'm glad they did though. I've not read the entire EU4 regulation, as I don't have the time nor the resources to pay a bunch of lawyers to understand it. There could be a loophole we are not aware of that made it possible for RE to pass without the gimmicks Triumph uses. It also could be possible that the low output engine is so clean that it doesn't need the extra gimmicks. I'm sure it consumes less than a Triumph, that should automatically mean less emissions IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:07:16 pm by oTTo »

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:01 pm
Thanks Haggis; that clears up the mystery for me nicely. Basically RE has (re) introduced a system similar to the one Triumph abandoned so that it could meet Euro IV. Go figure. My guess is that the RE has such a low specific output that it can still just about get past the emissions level. Most Triumph owners binned the air injection system anyway; I guess I’d do the same if I had one on the RE. Mine runs very nicely with a carb anyway.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:22:36 pm
I couldn't find anything easily from UK Department of Transport but I could have just as easily missed it, but the following links is where I had it in my head then that the OBD1 was a requirement.

There's this from MCN:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/january/mcn-plus---emissions-impossible-what-euro-4-really-means/

And from UK insurer Bennets:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2015/august/interpreting-the-new-motorbike-legislation---what-does-it-mean-for-you

Interesting reading nonetheless. I think there's a thread in Campfire as well.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 01:50:14 pm
That’s interesting; thanks. I see Triumph has decided to go straight to Euro V, fitting the more advanced OBD II now. Can we expect to connect our REs to a laptop now? Surely someone with a 2017 Euro spec model must know. The articles don’t specifically mention standardised port connections. The one on my older Triumph is, ironically, an OBD II socket like those on cars even though it won’t meet the bike OBD I standard. Would someone with a 2017 care to have a look for a diagnostic port?

jefrs

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:20:06 pm
The ECU does have a port but as far as I've been able to discover from searching and asking, it only connects to the RE diagnostic box of tricks and that the ECU cannot be remapped from there.
I have heard (rumour) that one UK dealership (North Cornwall?) have remapped an ECU but unable to confirm if this is true or what they used or what they may have done.
My C5 is 2014/15, the PCV does of course show runtime and even datalog some of it.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:09 pm
Jefrs, yes that is my understanding too. The port is used by dealers who have DOL to read fault codes more accurately than can an owner via the blinking MIL method. It is probably a proprietary port rather than a standard one like the Triumph. I wonder whether or not this method is deemed sufficient for RE to comply with the requirement that fault codes can be read (and cleared?) through the diagnostic port? Certainly I can do this and a lot more, including remapping the ECU (either by downloading a paid for dyno tested map, a free map devised by an owner or by adjusting the fuelling oneself using the software), setting tickover, balancing throttles and more on my Triumph and one can buy any number of fault code readers to suit the standard port on an OBD II equipped car, as has been the case since the mid noughties. It seems that all the Euro IV ECUs are locked and cannot be remapped by an owner.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:51:19 am
Locked but adaptive :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 01:41:05 pm
Succinct and accurate.....If the ECU can truly adapt to accommodate changes to intake and exhaust systems what price Power Commanders etc? Then again road testers on some Euro IV bikes have commented on off the throttle stutters; others have been fine, so I guess it depends how good the map is. Time will tell.