Author Topic: Some musings.  (Read 2009 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
on: October 12, 2017, 12:51:44 am
I've just realised I've been chugging around on Enfield's for over 30years, first as a cheap winter hack, but latterly as my sole mode of transport, the first ones required some serious work to make them right, but the last Iron barrel 350 (2008) and my current classic are pretty well left alone. Going back to the mid 1980's I had a Yamaha XT 600 Tenere, factory figures quoted around 38bhp at the rear wheel, but in reality some of them were tight to achieve much over 20. Simple air box mods released much power, but left alone the bikes performance was comparable to my classic, and I would go as far to say, riding the same roads the classic requires less use of the gearbox, and despite its antique suspension, is more comfortable, especially two up. Moving up to date, and the Himalayan debacle, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the anticipated October release (UK) is another no show, which doesn't bother me, as I've decided the Classic does what I ask of it, admirably. Nothing wrong with the GT, but they don't sell particularly well, and the promised new twin has got some stiff competition against Triumph, the Scrambler especially, which is very competitively priced, and proven. What does appear to sell well is the classic in all forms, the limited edition Redditch variants sold quick and the mat black Stealth is drawing attention, so instead of going down the disastrous route of the Himalayan, why not concentrate on what works? Surely a street scrambler variant of the GT is within scope, and some more limited edition variants of the classic and Bullet. My winter hack for this year is an electric bicycle, 70 miles on a charge and less likely hood of broken bones when I inevitability fall off on icy roads during the winter, plus as I have to pedal as well, at least I'll generate a bit of heat on cold days. ;) Where I live you get severely hammered if caught speeding, with average speed cameras on major roads and other sneaky stuff on the back roads so going out on the Enfield is pretty safe on the license and pocket, so I don't think I'll be changing in the foreseeable future. Happy riding.  :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:53:00 pm
Hmm, don't think I'd get much trade in for a new Classic. Which is what I would want, from new and all that.

But I find my Bullet does all I need. Apart from keeping up with high cc neighbours lol. Not keen on the top box look though, however practical.

I've been weighing up an electric bike. Which one do you have? Mind you, I'm not looking at anything over a £1000.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:35:08 pm
Mind you, I'm not looking at anything over a £1000.

I got a 2018 Giant Quick-e, a bit over your budget though, I spent a bit of time looking through proper owners reviews, + I've got a really good local shop. There's a bit of learning involved in getting the most out of a charge, but I managed 60 miles last week up some pretty steep terrain so I'm more than happy with it.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream