Author Topic: Copper head gasket oil leak trick.  (Read 3771 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 03, 2017, 02:01:03 pm
As seen in this video ...

https://youtu.be/SPvT4HAgokM

B.W.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:58 pm
That is a great tip...thanks.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:12 am
Nice B.W.!
  nOw comes the question... what does a stock 1996 Enfield Bullet have for a head gasket, is it copper, or composite? I have a leak from my push rod tubes, and it is weeping oil gradually across the engine to the left side. Do I have a copper gasket that I can tippy tap with my Silver Hammer, or is it composite, necessitating the removal of the head and lapping the spigot and barrel while I am at it. I have a nice Simonds single cut flat bastard that would make short work of the .024" clearance needed to compress the composite gasket I would replace it with.
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:22 am
Hi Charlie,
 It should be possible to see what you have by peering into the gap occupied by the gasket, but I think if your engine is standard Indian fayre, it will probably have a composite gasket, which will be black in colour.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 03:23:44 pm
Typically it will have a copper/fiber/copper sandwich gasket.
There really is no substitute for setting a proper spigot height to adequately crush the gasket.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:28:15 pm
Typically it will have a copper/fiber/copper sandwich gasket.
There really is no substitute for setting a proper spigot height to adequately crush the gasket.
So... If it has 2 layers of copper, would it benefit from the technique B.W. is suggesting here to stop a leak until I can get the spigot height adjusted correctly? Would it expand with the use of a thin blade screwdriver, and a small hammer?
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:03:32 pm
So... If it has 2 layers of copper, would it benefit from the technique B.W. is suggesting here to stop a leak until I can get the spigot height adjusted correctly? Would it expand with the use of a thin blade screwdriver, and a small hammer?
Charlie
I don't think that would work on a sandwich gasket.
It's only an afternoon job to do a spigot job, and put a new gasket in. Just make the  spigot adjustment yield a gasket gap thinner than the gasket by about .007" with a sandwich gasket. That will do it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !