Author Topic: Why do I have 2 air filters?  (Read 6222 times)

Mr. Markus

• Scooter
  • www.markusgebauer.com
on: October 01, 2017, 12:04:39 pm
Hello community.

I recently bought a 2007 Enfield Bullet 500 (5-Gear-left, E-Start) and try to get familiar with it. I am currently wondering why do I have 2 separate air filter? I don't know if this is necessary because Nr. 2 is the only one really filtering the air. Can I just unmount Nr. 1 and use the case as toolbox?

Or is it better to keep both filter? Next year I do want to do 10000+ km tour with the Enfield and tune it for long distance trips.

Regards
Markus

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:02:34 pm
Hello community.

I recently bought a 2007 Enfield Bullet 500 (5-Gear-left, E-Start) and try to get familiar with it. I am currently wondering why do I have 2 separate air filter? I don't know if this is necessary because Nr. 2 is the only one really filtering the air. Can I just unmount Nr. 1 and use the case as toolbox?

Or is it better to keep both filter? Next year I do want to do 10000+ km tour with the Enfield and tune it for long distance trips.

Regards
Markus

You have posted a picture of your one (1) air filter. There's only one.

What you've labeled #2 is an air box (plenum) between the filter and the carburetor. There is no air filter in #2 and yes, the box is a necessary part of the air intake system.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:12:53 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:24:12 pm
That said, a lot of people mount a k&n style cone filter right to the carburetor ( in place of where your silver box is).  As you suggested this frees up the right side case for storage, or allows you to remove the side cases altogether.

Any intake or exhaust modification may require rejetting of the carb so you don't run too lean, but you'll notice a performance boost too.  Try searching the forum for "free flow mods".

Cheers,
Chuck

Mr. Markus

• Scooter
  • www.markusgebauer.com
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:59:16 pm
There is no air filter in #2.

Thanks for the answer with the air box. I have looked at air boxes, or the filter elements inside on google but mine looks different. Whats that filter-like thing that I can see trough hole on the bottom of the silver box? Could it be that the first owner already installed a filter?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:07:49 pm by Mr. Markus »

finbullet

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:27 am
Ok. I think the number 2 should be an empty box with no filter and no holes in it. And the number 1 is the original filter element ( at least this is the way it was on my -98 IB bullet).It seems that the previous owner has installed a second filter element to the air box and made that hole in the bottom of the air box.

In the older enfields (really old ones) the filter was in that air box and the tool box was empty (or full of tools and spare parts  ;) )

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:20:13 am by finbullet »

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:44 am
Welcome Mr Markus.

Your Nr2 air filter has been moved back from the place where Nr1 is situated.
This a common mod and Nr 2 is usually used for tools.
The filter-like thing you can see through the hole on the bottom of the silver box is indeed a filter.
Why the 2 are connected, I've no idea. The box filter, the silver thing, should do the job by itself. Unless Nr2 is supporting Nr1 it's up to you if you leave them attached or not. Separate supports for the box filter should be available from our hosts.
D.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:38:14 pm
Welcome Mr Markus.

Your Nr2 air filter has been moved back from the place where Nr1 is situated.
This a common mod and Nr 2 is usually used for tools.
The filter-like thing you can see through the hole on the bottom of the silver box is indeed a filter.
Why the 2 are connected, I've no idea. The box filter, the silver thing, should do the job by itself. Unless Nr2 is supporting Nr1 it's up to you if you leave them attached or not. Separate supports for the box filter should be available from our hosts.
D.

What??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Was there a change in '08? My '08 had it's filter exactly where his No. 1 is and his No.2 (the air box) was totally empty on my '08.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:47:22 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:38:24 am

Was there a change in '08? My '08 had it's filter exactly where his No. 1 is and his No.2 (the air box) was totally empty on my '08.

Might be your DoT but over here the stock Electra X has a plastic cover over the air filter box and a sausage box behind it. As the red bike shows.
The black bike is mine. I did away with the old air filter and fitted an oval air box. This allowed me to move the tool box back.
D.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:05:49 pm
Might be your DoT but over here the stock Electra X has a plastic cover over the air filter box and a sausage box behind it. As the red bike shows.
The black bike is mine. I did away with the old air filter and fitted an oval air box. This allowed me to move the tool box back.
D.

The picture that Mr. Markus posted doesn't seem to be an Electra-X. It has the same configuration of triangular air filter case and rectangular air box as my '08 Classic.

His bike has the same intake configuration as my '08 Classic except his air box is chrome. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 04:32:43 pm
If I have this right, the late C.I. Bullets (and therefore the AVL Classic with the same tinware) have the air filter in the right-hand toolbox and the old air filter box is thus an empty resonator, with a second pipe to the toolbox where the air filter now lives. I would agree with the other comments that a previous owner has converted the resonator box back to a filter box and simply not bothered removing the now surplus item from the toolbox.

I quite like the look of that retro-fitted oval filter on the Electra-X, which would also work with the AVL Classic. The Electra-X's original side panels (steel, not plastic) and the sausage box tool holder were taken from the 350 AVL Thunderbird model. I have seen a few cases where Electra-X owners in the UK and Europe have fitted the old-style tin ware, as the AVL Classic was never marketed outside the USA.

A.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:35:00 pm by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:55:03 pm
If I have this right, the late C.I. Bullets (and therefore the AVL Classic with the same tinware) have the air filter in the right-hand toolbox and the old air filter box is thus an empty resonator, with a second pipe to the toolbox where the air filter now lives. I would agree with the other comments that a previous owner has converted the resonator box back to a filter box and simply not bothered removing the now surplus item from the toolbox.

I quite like the look of that retro-fitted oval filter on the Electra-X, which would also work with the AVL Classic. The Electra-X's original side panels (steel, not plastic) and the sausage box tool holder were taken from the 350 AVL Thunderbird model. I have seen a few cases where Electra-X owners in the UK and Europe have fitted the old-style tin ware, as the AVL Classic was never marketed outside the USA.
A.

So I guess I've always been correct in assuming that the U.S. spec AVL 500 Classic was a stand-alone model (triangular tool/air filter case, rectangular air box, front drum brake).

I guess what I'm saying is that there was never anything designated an AVL 500 Classic that had a front disc brake, rectangular air box and trianglular tool/air filter case.

IOW the Electra-X was always totally different than the AVL Classic. Well, not totally totally different, but you know what I mean.

My right sidecase is totally for the battery now.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 11:41:03 pm
tooseevee,

there was a third version of the 500 AVL for the Indian home market, the 500 Machismo.

This had the disk front end same as the Electra-X but the rest of the tinware was similar to the US market AVL Classic, apart from the fenders/mudguards, deep chrome on the front and a large 350-style black one on the rear. A limited edition model, but a few still found their way to the UK and Europe. Fuel tank was chrome with lined black center stripe.

This one is up for sale on ebay UK at the moment, for more pictures follow the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-2007-India-Import-Great-Condition/132345614267?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The short bottle muffler and Amal carb were not fitted at the factory, methinks, but note the resonator box pretending to be an air filter box as on the US market AVL classic.

I've always like the looks of this and the AVL Classic, but sadly our importer at the time wouldn't bring them in.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:42 am
tooseevee,

there was a third version of the 500 AVL for the Indian home market, the 500 Machismo.

This had the disk front end same as the Electra-X but the rest of the tinware was similar to the US market AVL Classic, apart from the fenders/mudguards, deep chrome on the front and a large 350-style black one on the rear. A limited edition model, but a few still found their way to the UK and Europe. Fuel tank was chrome with lined black center stripe.

This one is up for sale on ebay UK at the moment, for more pictures follow the link.

The short bottle muffler and Amal carb were not fitted at the factory, methinks, but note the resonator box pretending to be an air filter box as on the US market AVL classic.

I've always like the looks of this and the AVL Classic, but sadly our importer at the time wouldn't bring them in.

A.

So there WAS "almost" a bike pretty close to the same as my Classic with a disk front end.

These Enfields are sort of like SONY amplifiers; it takes you years to sort out all the ins and outs. So the Machismo had the flat top rear fender frame of the 350?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 12:34:46 am
Yep, I think it was easier for the factory just to use the 350 AVL Machismo tin ware.

A.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 06:26:00 am

Yours is correct. AVL Bullets have and air filter in the tool box and nothing in the tea caddy. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:30:19 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.