Author Topic: Selling the GT  (Read 7143 times)

mcraigor

• Scooter
on: October 01, 2017, 06:55:59 am
I'm ready to sell the GT.  I would love to keep it but I can barely keep it running.  2900 miles- 2015 GT.  It runs....sometimes.  Let me know if anyone is interested.

Aftermarket header, exhaust, PCV, K&N, alloy cog front and rear, standard chain, aftermarket license plate and brake light, LED headlight, lithium battery, drop bars, bar end mirrors, etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:59:47 am by mcraigor »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:11:13 am
Sorry you aren't getting to use it more...is there a price you have in mind ?

la_r3_cgt_rider

• Bulleteer
  • I ride in San Diego
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:50:42 pm
Crazy how fast people have turn these over. When I first started using this forum there was a lot of activity and excitement....seems like it slows down more and more every week.
2014 RE-CGT – Pegasus
San Diego, CA

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:32:45 pm
I'm thinking $3000 but that may be a bit high(negotiable).  Today I charged the battery with high hopes the bike will run. The ignition system seems solid.  I shocked the hell out of myself a few times and appears that spark is at the plug.  I tested the fuel pump which pumped fine so I moved on and cleaned the injector. 

What was interesting was once I had everything set up I hit the start button and no cleaner came out of the injector.  Glad to see the bike doesn't run when it doesn't have any gas!  I ended up wiring a 9 volt battery and the fuel injector worked flawlessly.  I went back to the injector plug and at rest with the key turned on I get a reading of 9 volts.  If I hit the start button it drops to zero with no fluctuation.  Anybody know what part of the biking is acting up?

any fixes appreciated
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:43:10 pm by mcraigor »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:01:52 pm
how about running a jumper lead from the battery direct to the starter motor, bypassing the start button? if injector volts are there but vanish when you press the button, perhaps that part of the loom, or the starter motor relay are at fault. if you bypass those parts, the injector might stay on and the bike might run. have you checked and replaced the 3 relays behind the LH side cover yet? they could be the problem too.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GLJ

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:14:12 am
Where is your bike located?

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:46:12 am
Dead battery?

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:41 am
Where is your bike located?

Central Illinois....near Springfield

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:09:13 am
how about running a jumper lead from the battery direct to the starter motor, bypassing the start button? if injector volts are there but vanish when you press the button, perhaps that part of the loom, or the starter motor relay are at fault. if you bypass those parts, the injector might stay on and the bike might run. have you checked and replaced the 3 relays behind the LH side cover yet? they could be the problem too.

I've been wrenching on this bike since I bought it and at one time I replaced all of the relays within the last few months(also the fuses are good).  I bought a 10 pack of the relays previously and I'll replace them again just to eliminate all variables.  I'll try the jumper idea next weekend and see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:31:06 am by mcraigor »

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 04:20:29 am
Dead battery?

Grant

I wish that was the case- 13.8 volts fully charged lithium battery fresh off the wall charger. 

I probably should note this bike has the kickstand switch disconnected, a solid negative(ground), PCV, Dynatek ignition coil, new plug wire, new plug, etc.  I've done what's recommended on the forums and myself to try to make a reliable bike but there's always something else.

I probably will never be able to own a Honda motorcycle because I will never have to work on it but wrenching on the motorcycle every weekend gets old.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:17:00 pm by mcraigor »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:11:43 am
Don't blame you for getting rid of it with the amount of grief it's given you. Good luck.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:57:01 pm
I wish that was the case- 13.8 volts fully charged lithium battery fresh off the wall charger. 

I probably should note this bike has the kickstand switch disconnected, a solid negative(ground), PCV, Dynatek ignition coil, new plug wire, new plug, etc.  I've done what's recommended on the forums and myself to try to make a reliable bike but there's always something else.

I probably will never be able to own a Honda motorcycle because I will never have to work on it but wrenching on the motorcycle every weekend gets old.

I apologize in advance if this sounds silly or obvious...but have you checked the EFI fuze?
...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 11:47:58 pm
I apologize in advance if this sounds silly or obvious...but have you checked the EFI fuze?
...Jimmy

It's cool, with this bike I'm open to all ideas.  If someone on the forum said I needed to pour English tea into the engine in order for the bike to start, I would seriously consider the concept......but yes, all the fuses were intact.  I was hoping my problem(s) would be that simple and I even replaced each one with a new fuze just to make sure. 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:56 am
I'm thinking $3000 but that may be a bit high(negotiable).  Today I charged the battery with high hopes the bike will run. The ignition system seems solid.  I shocked the hell out of myself a few times and appears that spark is at the plug.  I tested the fuel pump which pumped fine so I moved on and cleaned the injector. 

What was interesting was once I had everything set up I hit the start button and no cleaner came out of the injector.  Glad to see the bike doesn't run when it doesn't have any gas!  I ended up wiring a 9 volt battery and the fuel injector worked flawlessly.  I went back to the injector plug and at rest with the key turned on I get a reading of 9 volts.  If I hit the start button it drops to zero with no fluctuation.  Anybody know what part of the biking is acting up?

any fixes appreciated

Well... you only going to get Voltage at that injector, simultaneously when the pump is on.  So you should see Voltage  briefly when you turn the key on, then set the kill switch to run.   You'll hear that fuel pump run... see voltage at the injector, then the voltage at the injector will drop to zero as the pump shuts off.  IF ... during that period of time when the pump is running, you are ONLY seeing 9 volts ?!   Then you obviously have a voltage drop issue somewhere... resistance.   You SHOULD see  very close to the same voltage reading at the battery.   I would think about a new fuel pump relay OR go through the circuit and check your connections... THEN sell your bike for a bit more !  ;)

A good read...

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-news-plus/articlecategories/electrical/diagnosevoltdrop
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:22:02 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 09:45:23 pm
A long shot, but... have you made sure the rollover sensor is in place.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 06:50:35 am
A long shot, but... have you made sure the rollover sensor is in place.

Is there a way to know that's actually working and not killing the bike?  The rollover switch is in the same state it was when I bought the bike.  I've pondered for a while now that if I unplug that sensor the bike will die....not sure.  It's another variable I would like to eliminate if the jump doesn't work. 

I am going to try and jump the bike this Monday/Tuesday and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I'm back to square one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:54:44 am by mcraigor »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 11:38:56 am
Have you tried moving the clutch lever into different positions when hitting the start button ? Also the lambda sensor grabs a few volts while heating up when the ignition is first turned on. 

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:14 pm
Have you tried moving the clutch lever into different positions when hitting the start button ? Also the lambda sensor grabs a few volts while heating up when the ignition is first turned on.

hmm...no but I usually pull the clutch all the way in when I start.  Plus the bike is on the center stand in neutral most of the time.  I'll give it a shot if all else fails.

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:43 am
I parted company with my GT last week while the going was good as I had the feeling after 8000 miles, I was running on borrowed time and something was due to go wrong.

While some of the more serious issues, such as the primary chain making a break for freedom through the case may be limited to just a few bikes, I made the decision to sell it before a major breakdown made it uneconomical to repair.

Electrical issues on relatively new bikes just shouldn't be occurring in this day and age but a few have surfaced recently on this forum.

I really hope RE have sorted these issues out on the new twins, and while I had no problems with my GT other than the odometer doing it's own thing every winter, I just had the feeling my luck wouldn't last.

I've not been a prolific poster on this site so I won't be missed, but I will keep checking to see how the new twins fair once they go on sale - hopefully without the delays experienced with the Himalayan.

John

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 01:14:15 pm
Sorry to see you go.  Wish you the best, and yes....you will be missed.  HEre's to the next ride!