Author Topic: Still "Untainted by technology" ?  (Read 10519 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 02:14:02 pm
I also liked the "Identity Theft Not A Problem" line . Got to thank Mahoney for the oportunity to grab the last of the living(albeit small) dinosaurs. In this era of cookie cutter, major appliance, type bikes there was nothing quite like them. Second Question; Any diesel guys left?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

scorpy

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 11:29:31 am
sorry, posted on wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:34:35 am by scorpy »

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 12:14:36 pm
My 350 “Iron barrel” has no points and no distributor. It came out of the factory like that. Does that count?
Paul W.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 12:30:54 pm
The only offering to the gods of speed this bike gets is either cam 2 or 100ll avgas and it loves it. The good fuel allows it to produce the FULL 18 hp :)

Do you run it on 100% AVGAS? Despite the ”LL” name, it still contains a whole lot of Lead. I used it mixed at a 1:5 ratio with pump unleaded to give about the same amount as what in U.K. was known as “4 Star” fuel and it worked very well on my little car with a 12:1 compression ratio. Any more lead than that is likely to cause spark plug fouling.
Paul W.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 12:55:46 pm
My '05 "Military" came with an electronic ignition of unknown type or origin care of a previous owner, and with a over 14,000 on it since then, I'm OK with that. That said, every other bike I've ever owned had points, and I was OK with them too.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 01:50:35 pm
In my long illustrious two and one half month ownership of my 06 I have managed to reconfigure the bike but the heart remains the same with one surgery by a previous owner. Three other people have owned the bike since new, none of them had much luck at keeping it running  so in 15 years it had all of 1,800 miles on it. I believe the points to be the highly coveted ;D Chennai originals and may go on my mantle in a display case when I change them out. The last of the previous owners, very nice guy but not big into mechanical work paid a shop a lot of money to get it running, new Amal carb, The head sent off to England where I'm not able to trace who but someone worked their magic on it.   I'm hoping some of that magic was hardened valve seats. After all that the bike barely ran for the test ride but it was all little tuning adjustments to get it to run properly again and it's been a nice runner since. My other past British bikes were all converted to Boyer Brandsen electronic ignition but I think I'll keep this one  points. So far fingers crossed, the stock coil is still doing what coils do but will get upgraded at some point. I have been lucky for years to have a gas source in my town that had no ethanol. That station just recently changed hands and the 0% ethanol gas is gone. I'm on my second tank of regular with corn squeezin's in the Enfield with no problems so far. I can't think of any rubber in the fuel system that would be effected but not the same for my beloved old 73 Ford F250 truck that surely has a number of non viton O rings in the carburetor. My other bikes are modern design fuel injection and should be OK.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 01:53:12 pm
Do you run it on 100% AVGAS? Despite the ”LL” name, it still contains a whole lot of Lead. I used it mixed at a 1:5 ratio with pump unleaded to give about the same amount as what in U.K. was known as “4 Star” fuel and it worked very well on my little car with a 12:1 compression ratio. Any more lead than that is likely to cause spark plug fouling.
The 100 LL turns my exhaust pipe white with lead, and that is mixed at about 50/50. If thats low lead I would hate to see Leaded! Haven't used it in the last 3 years and I sure miss that lovely aroma .
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 03:09:00 pm
Anyone have experience with the 350's grease-type distributor? Any insight on how often they need a squirt?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 07:46:11 pm
The 100 LL turns my exhaust pipe white with lead, and that is mixed at about 50/50. If thats low lead I would hate to see Leaded! Haven't used it in the last 3 years and I sure miss that lovely aroma .

The 1:5 mix I used still turned the inside of the tailpipe white! I’m surprised that the environmentalists haven’t latched onto this issue yet but AVGAS used to contain about five times as much lead as leaded gasoline did.
Paul W.

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 09:55:21 am
"La Bullet" was fitted with an indian Eureca ignition system whan I got her.

I read that some export models were fitted with that system at the factory, but I guess it was not the case for mine since I also found a used points plate in the parts box left by the PO.

The bike was starting hard and I was not confident with that system, fitted by an unknown source at an unknown date. I didn't want to stay stranded on the roadside far from home due to that box failure.

I looked for the manufacturer site and instructions, and well, it is quite laconic...

https://sites.google.com/site/kbhide4/

I wrote to them to get some more info and get a price offer for a spare one, but never got an answer.

And I was even less confident when I opened the left toolbox where all the electronics has been thrown in, as if to compete with the spaghetti mix of the fork casquette...

So I decided to ged rid of the system and revert to a standard points plate.

When I dismantled the unit, I saw that it was not really in good shape. The distributor captor was peeling away and the unit looked like it had overheated (the mounter obviously didn't understand the principle of cooling fins when he decided to put it in the overpacked closed environment of the toolbox...)

After resetting the advance timing from zero, it now starts first kick and I've put 225 miles on the bike without any issue but I'm still running in the new piston, so I'll maybe still have to check my main jet choice when I can get her running faster.

(Even if the parts were still working, I decided that the 20 years old indian coil and rectifier/regulator have earned a retirement, and fitted La Bullet with a Bosch coil ref.0221119027, and a Lucas reg/rec, associated with a 6800µF/50V capacitor, following Pete Snidal advice, so to have a fully restored ignition, and the ability to start the bike with a dead battery).

When you have to shoot... shoot ! Don't Talk.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 09:25:31 pm
Well done, Pierric! The main reason for having the Bullet is to enjoy the simplicity. Points are fairly idiot-proof, you can see the advance mechanism work and the points open. I had to replace my ignition advance springs on one machine as they were "soft", but they were still working. The only "I Believe" part is the condenser, and that can be tested with a multimeter or simply replaced. A handful of tools and a few component spares, you are unlikely to get stranded anywhere. Any pictures to share?

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 10:57:11 pm
It was a sad day when Redditch stopped fitting these after the '59 season.

Here's Bullet Whisperer righting that historic wrong on my '61 350 engine.

Most Indian iron barrel Bullets will let you retro-fit the SR1, (CDI/TCI models excepted) and some of our Indian Bulleteer friends have done just that.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:57 pm
Any pictures to share?

Hello AzCal,

For some reason my original pics posting didn't show up...

So here is attached the original Eureca system, fitted then removed.

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: September 26, 2021, 12:03:50 pm
And the Bosch coil, Lucas regulator and capacitor that were fitted.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 04:28:25 pm
Pierric - looks like that Eureka took some real heat damage! Nice job retrofitting the points, they are plenty good enough for the operating parameters of the Bullet engine, much more user friendly as well. Thanks for the pics - ACR -