Author Topic: New member.....08 Bullet Electra  (Read 7168 times)

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
on: September 25, 2017, 09:53:06 am
    New member here from Charlotte NC, have a few questions if I can ever post a thread.
"Take your protein pill and put your helmet on."

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:04:17 am
Ah, finally it accepts my post. I kept getting a "you entered the wrong information from the pictograph".

Anyway. new member here from Charlotte, NC. just picked up an 08 Electra which I am going to bob. I ride an 06 Honda VTX-C 1300 and wanted a smaller bike for short, local jaunts so picked up this Electra with 5300 miles. She's in good shape and I have already had her on a 140 mile ride with no problems.

I've started removing unneeded/unwanted items  ( blinkers, passenger pegs, tool box and lock, left side "fake tool box cover" etc etc ) when I ran into an issue that has me stumped and feeling stupid.

How do you get the seat off? LOL, seriously. I've searched for videos and searched threads and for the life of me I can't figure it out. Anyone?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:35 am
Look for two 6mm (10mm hex) bolts either side at the rear of the seat where the grab rail fits, one of each screws into  captive nut, the other will have a normal 6mm nut on.

Please don't cut the bike about so it can't be put back to stock, 'cause they ain't making any more of these!

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:51 am
Thanks for the reply. It looked to me like the pan was welded to the frame but I knew that couldn't be the case. Then it also appeared that the pan frame was welded to the upper shock mounts. THEN again, there are two bolts just rear of the breather box that it also appears are welded to the pan frame, which again surely couldn't be the case. So without unbolting anything I'd thought I'd ask.

I'm an active member of the VTXCafe and I know you should do your own research before asking questions but this one had me stumped.

An another note, I see videos where removing is the headlamp is as simple as removing the top bolt and the headlamp basically falls out. Not the case with mine, which also has me stumped.

Thanks again for the reply and if anyone around Charlotte, NC also has an Enfield hit me up, I ride ALOT !!!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:03:15 pm
Thanks for the reply. It looked to me like the pan was welded to the frame but I knew that couldn't be the case. Then it also appeared that the pan frame was welded to the upper shock mounts. THEN again, there are two bolts just rear of the breather box that it also appears are welded to the pan frame, which again surely couldn't be the case. So without unbolting anything I'd thought I'd ask.

An another note, I see videos where removing is the headlamp is as simple as removing the top bolt and the headlamp basically falls out. Not the case with mine, which also has me stumped.

Thanks again for the reply and if anyone around Charlotte, NC also has an Enfield hit me up, I ride ALOT !!!

So did you get the seat off  ??? ??? ???

Once you get into the headlight once you see it's very simple and straight forward. It's probably just friction and time that are holding the rim on. It really is held on by just one screw at the top and a little catch the bottom. You have to tap outward on the top of the rim easy so you don't bung up the rim. The bottom catch will not free up until you tap the top loose.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:07:51 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:50:30 pm
ExHarleyDude,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Enfield AVL's!

Best of luck with your build, and there's tons of great info and helpful folks on here working to lend advice.

Cheers and happy tinkering!

Chuck

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 08:08:50 pm
Thanks.
And no, was at work today so haven't attempted the seat removal. Glad to see an active forum though. I'm very active on the VTXCafe and appreciate knowledgable folks helping out as I embark in the Enfield world.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 03:30:59 am
Great!  Another AVL rescue.

Here's a link from a fellow Bulleteer on maintaining the AVL. It's a good read.

http://www.mymotorcycles.altervista.org/id8.html
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 12:23:12 pm
ehd, welcome to the forums and congrats on your AVL find!  ;D

DanB, nice link to have available. Thanks for posting!  ;D

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 04:06:45 pm
Took a glass of Scotch and leafing thru the spare parts catalogue before I figured it out, but yes on the seat removal. Had I just went ahead and removed the grab bar I could have saved myself much head scratching. Thanks for the, the "welcomes" and the links.

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 04:11:08 pm
Welcome aboard EHD.
Do you really have to bob it?
Good link DB, never seen that.
D.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 04:26:32 pm
No, I don't HAVE to bob it, but I bought it specifically because I want a bare bones thumper for local riding. I already have a big cruiser and of all the bikes that look good bobbed I liked the Enfield the best. I will never sell the bike so resale value means nothing to me. I realize thats not a purist view and hopefully not held against me, and I also realize they don't make these bikes anymore. They don't make my VTX anymore either. Just a personal choice I guess. I picked this bike up for a little over $2k.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:09:18 pm
Picked up my abused '06 for under $2k. $2800 later I have a bike that I like equally, if not slightly more than my C5.

Any time you need parts, RE Fort Worth has just about anything you need. And Tim Hirdler, the former guru for CMW, is now on board with Baker Motor Sports (RE Fort Worth) so when you drop a parts request to them he's often the first to pick up on the e-mail. He'll do ya right every time!

Enjoy your modding, and don't be a stranger.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

exharleydude

• Bobbing an 08 Electra
  • Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:56:40 pm
Got my head lamp out tonight, and as suggested, it was just a tight fit and needed a little "bonk" and "pry". The sealed beam lamp in it was a Wagner/12.8V/#4467/DOTMN05 @ 50/35W.

My manual calls for a 60/55W head lamp. I'm assuming the PO opted for a less expensive lamp. Think I'll upgrade to the larger lamp from Classic.

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:54 am
No, I don't HAVE to bob it, but I bought it specifically because I want a bare bones thumper for local riding. I already have a big cruiser and of all the bikes that look good bobbed I liked the Enfield the best. I will never sell the bike so resale value means nothing to me. I realize thats not a purist view and hopefully not held against me, and I also realize they don't make these bikes anymore. They don't make my VTX anymore either. Just a personal choice I guess. I picked this bike up for a little over $2k.

Listen, it's your bike you do want you to it and no one on here will hold anything against you for modding. It's good you will keep her for life and it's great to have another AVL owner too.
I think most AVL riders mod one way or another but maybe not as extreme as you intend.   Do a photographic diary all the way through and post on here. Should be interesting to see things develop.
Good luck.
D.