Author Topic: key ON= gauge pegs discharge...?  (Read 2918 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:13 pm
After setting up for about 2 months, my 2002 500 ks developed a unique problem.  When the key is turned on, my amp gauge pegs to the left showing discharge, with it comes a no start condition of course. Haven't taken the time yet to pull the points cover off, from perfect running condition to this...any thoughts before I start my troubleshooting journey?
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:34:58 am
If you don't already have one, buy yourself a volt/ohm test meter.

They can cost anywhere from $8 to over $100 but the little $8 one will tell you everything you need to know as long as it has a ohms scale.  (Sometime back, Harbor Freight was giving away one of their inexpensive ones for free if you bought something else.
It's a "CEN_TECH digital multimeter and it even has a setting to load test 1.5v and 9v batteries).

There is obviously a short somewhere and the somewhere would be in one of the branches that turn on when the key is turned on.

A likely candidate is the wires that run back to the rear tail light (but not the turn signals as they are not "on" until you turn them on.)

If your motorcycle has a working headlight switch on the right handlebar, turn it off and then retry the ign on test.  If no heavy discharge shows, the problem is in the lighting circuit.

Turn off the Kill switch and try the ign on again.  If that fixes the problem, it is likely in the power line to the ignition coil or the ignition points.  It also could be the coil developed an internal short.

I think the wiring diagram below is close to what is on your motorcycle.

Happy hunting.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:30:00 pm
If it happened after several months of sitting, I would suspect a mouse or other varmit chewing on a wire causing a short.  Look for bits of chewed insulation in Nacelle, under fuel tank, any place small enough for a mouse to hide.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:41:48 pm
Mr.U, the mouse thing kinda tracks right because my gauge wasn't just reading a 'discharge' it was "PEGGING" the needle all the way, like a direct short. Fuse survived so I disconnected, cleaned, reconnected battery terminals, point/cond. connections & the issue 'went away'. I've tugged, twisted the switch wires & all other connections that I can reach & have not been able to duplicate the "gauge pegging discharge", if I'm overlooking a naked wire, maybe a night ride will help locate it, so far I haven't found it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:00:55 pm
Although the "night ride" could find the problem, it is more likely it will just make the problem move from wherever it is now into the lighting circuit.

Nothing like a long ride at night without any lights to make a trip unforgettable.

After you do get home and find and fix the new lighting problem, the old short will return once again.   ??? 8) ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 02:31:13 am
Yeah, not too fond of those "unforgettable night rides", they do linger. Think I'll turn down the shop lights or stay close to home either way because it's dead where it is if it shorts out. "Pushing your bike home rides" tends to linger as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:15:26 pm
Ah yes, I remember them well... the midnight rides with Mr. Lucas, Prince of Darkness... 1968 BSA 650 Thunderbolt... I couldn't keep a headlight in very long, and the bulbs were sealed beam. Funny thing is, they only seemed to burn out at night! Can't carry many with you lol, unless you had a trailer.  ::)
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:09:16 am
Yup, sounds like my old t100c condensor issues, though they are smaller than a headlamp. Those & zenor diodes weren't cheap, even back then, but I could carry quite a few...aahhh, good times.      not so much

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 02:20:08 am
My short circuit issue has yet to return, dont know exactly what pacified it. Did a lot of contact, connection, terminal loosening/cleaning & reconnecting, must have hit the sore spot @ some point but, I'd feel better if I new which one it was should it fail again later. Well, so far, that is the only real trouble I've had outta "Ollie" since I've had him.