Author Topic: New Janus Motorcycles - hot!!  (Read 5633 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:58 pm
Got this today from a company in Goshen IN. Nice looking bike. As you know this is a brutal business and most you try to enter run out of cash very quickly. If they have a low volume plan and enough $$ it might work. I sure hope so, nice to see some people taking on a project like this. To my eye the bikes are beautiful.
https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/http://
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:18 pm
Those 229cc Chinese engines sure get around.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:08:53 pm
Got this today from a company in Goshen IN. Nice looking bike. As you know this is a brutal business and most you try to enter run out of cash very quickly. If they have a low volume plan and enough $$ it might work. I sure hope so, nice to see some people taking on a project like this. To my eye the bikes are beautiful.

They look OK in a rustic kind if way. Similar concept to this.
http://theblackdouglas.com

I wonder if anyone called Hugh will buy one. ;)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:04 pm
I like the looks of the Phoenix! At the weight and horsepower ratio, it is not that performance oriented, but with a proper engine, that would be a sweet race bike!! It should handle very well...
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:29 pm
I'm pretty sure that a couple of years back, Janus were producing a 50cc liquid cooled machine in the flat tank style similar to the appearance of the Black Douglas. I'd have a Black Douglas. Looks like they have an updated site too. You used to be able to buy it in kit form if you wanted to build it yourself. Perhaps I'll take a day off and have a look at the UK dealer.

The Janus certainly has a touch of the Brough Superior about it.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:12 pm
I'm pretty sure that a couple of years back, Janus were producing a 50cc liquid cooled machine in the flat tank style similar to the appearance of the Black Douglas.

Correct.
https://uncrate.com/article/janus-halcyon-50-motorcycle/
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:01 pm

I would love to have that Halcyon to play with ....

Anyone want a nice, "slightly modified" 2008 Black AVL Classic?  ???

Stop me! Stop me! It's probably late stage puppy love - which NEVer works out well ;D ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 04:03:22 pm
Going to Traverse City, MI. Maybe I'll stop in for a visit.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:53:52 pm
Going to Traverse City, MI. Maybe I'll stop in for a visit.

This is a great time to be in Northern MI!  I hope it's a pleasure trip!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 05:22:05 pm

They could make it IMHO, if they use the commodity engines out of alibaba and other wholesale components from there the cost could be under control. To find enough customers will be another story. Looks nice otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:39:47 pm by oTTo »

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:39 pm
IMHO - They can make it if they have enough cash and a business plan that conserves cash. They seem to be on the right track and I think they could sell 150-200 to begin with. Not a lot but it will never sell like a mainstream model. They seem to understand this which is encouraging.

I think we were an example of a product that no one thought would survice in the US Although we weren't doing the manufacturing of the RE we had 50 dealers in 3 months and close to 100 in 6. Bear in mind at that time it was unquestionably the worst quality bike in North America. We were neck and neck with the Ural in that department. Both are now decent bikes. We got there because did some inexpensive advertising, got the magazines to help us and took the bikes to every dog fight there was in the US. We (me) made a ton of dealer calls and if I could get a dealer on the bike we almost always made the sale. Nevermind that I had to stop outside each city and start them to clear the smoke before I went to the dealership. Our initial buy-in was very modest (often times one - two bikes).

We recognized from day 1 until day last that the RE was a niche bike and as long as we understood that we would be OK. This is true of ALL niche products.

Dealers came aboard knowing full well about the quality issues. We were very
upfront about that, but knew that a great dealer prep would take care of most problems.

Dealers signed up because they were cool, different, inexpensive with a great margin and support in spite of India. The dealers were very loyal. They were also the mom and pop stores where the owners worked every day.

They may not be using a dealer model but IMHO it is key to survival. You don't need 100 but you need passionate dealers. Let them buy one bike and order from there. Lastly be there for the dealer and customer no matter what the issue is.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Otto_Ing

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:14:09 pm
That's one of most impressive stories I've ever read. Thanks for that. After reading that I do wonder now if they may find passionate dealers of that sort in todays US, if they wanted of course.

Otto_Ing

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:07:54 pm

We recognized from day 1 until day last that the RE was a niche bike and as long as we understood that we would be OK. This is true of ALL niche products.

Yes, RENA want's to take it beyond the niche and that's not so easy. Maybe we should all take marketing lessons from Elon Musk. He certainly succeeded to bring the established OEM's to their knees even though Tesla makes only losses. :o

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 04:34:33 pm
Only one problem with only making losses - sooner or later you will run out of cash!

I think they can still find passionate dealers if Janus wants to. IMHO it is all about finding dealerships where the owner works everyday and is in charge of what goes on in that business. If they are into the niche product and the distributor/manufacturer is a true "partner" with the dealer it works well. Strange as it may sound many manufacturers don't realize that it is the dealer that actually sells the product and not the distributor or manufacturer. To think otherwise is unwisely arrogant. Without a true partnership with the dealer you can advertise and promote all you want and you will fail or at least fail to thrive. A dealer who does not feel that he/she is unconditionally backed up is one who will eventually get rid of a niche product.

We had less luck in large stores that were run by a GM and not the owner. Nothing wrong with a GM, it is just that they usually don't have the same passion as an owner and frequently the job is a revolving door. Big box stores can emit a Sirens song, but any niche product will keep working it's way to the back until you can't find them for the dust. People sell what's easy and trouble free in those environments.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Otto_Ing

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 09:21:06 pm
bit of topic, but eBay seams to self-destruct at present as well. This is their new User Agreement:

Here’s a summary of the main changes:
•   We’ve added new terms to the User Agreement to clarify that users are not permitted to complete outside of eBay any sales transactions with each other arising from items listed on the eBay platform. Offers to buy and sell or communicate outside of eBay constitute policy violations and may be subject to a range of actions including limits on buying and selling privileges as well as the application of final value fees for such transactions, the application of fees for the introduction of a seller to a buyer and the recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement. The same can result from sharing or requesting contact information with the intention to trade outside of eBay. You can read the relevant policy here.

•   We have included language which means that we may deduct fees, charges or other amounts which you owe us from an eBay credit balance held or controlled by you.