Author Topic: Something To Watch Out For  (Read 2070 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: September 22, 2008, 07:15:05 pm
Maybe everyone here already knows about this, but I'm going to take a chance that one or two Bulleteers will be helped by this.  This tale of woe applies only to bikes that get kick started regularly.  I don't think this would happen while electric starting. (?)

As we are all aware, the Bullet 500 has a tendency to spit back through the carb sometimes.  You know, it's that time when the bike kicks you back and sends all its internals rotating backwards.  Usually happens when you're trying to impress friends with what a nice bike the RE is.

When the spit back occurs, pressure is built up in the intake manifold.  Most of the time this just results in some noise and maybe some smoke coming out the air filter housing.  But sometimes, the results of the spit back can be the moving of the carb out of its little rubber manifold.

My Bullet had been running fine but the idle had raised itself a little bit.  That should have clued me in to look for an air leak right away, but it didn't.  Then, as I was kick starting the bike - it spat back at me.  The following kicks produced nothing, nada, zip!

A quick glance in between expletives showed me a carburetor that was no longer plugged into its rubber mount.  I quickly reseated the carb in its proper position and started the bike.  I believe the slightly lean condition causing the idle to raise was caused by an unseated carb which finally came all the way loose with that last explosion.

So what did I learn from this episode???  Knowing me, probably nothing.  But you may have determined by now that checking to see your carb is still plugged in after your bike shows its evil temper by spitting back at you.

My real concern here is that people may have their carbs sitting half in and half out causing a lean condition while cruising along the blacktop at 55+ and coming to a stop after holing a piston.  Just sayin'.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:04:55 am
yeah, mine was always falling partways out  until I cut up some radiator hose and replaced the factory bits.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39:08 pm
Thanks for this FG52.
Never say "It's not worth posting something because everyone must know this/have had it happen" etc as it's all good info and almost certainly will help someone sometime!!!.

I have done what c1skout has done and replaced mine with a section of Renault 4 top rad hose cut to the correct length that I got cheap from eBay UK. Not so much for this coming out of position problem as for the damn rubber perishing as you watched it. Only lasted about six to seven months a go in the UK weather.

LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:51 pm
I would take a look at your timing also. A KS Enfield should NOT kick back if the timing is good, the mixture is not too lean (like your bike was) and the battery is good. Back in the day when I only had KS bikes to sell I got pretty good at kick starting them, even in front of crowds. But I did learn an important lesson the hard way (more than once which shows you how bright I am) and that is never kick someone else's bike unless you have tuned it yourself. Looking for slightly detached carb is good advice, but it is only the symptom of something else that is going on.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:14:28 pm
Good points, RE1.  Mine isn't really a KS.  It's an ES with a fragged Sprague that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.  It's an '06 65, that I bought new last January.  The Sprague clutch went within the first 100 miles.

In the meantime, I just went completely through the bikes tuning yesterday and am very pleased with the results. 

The radiator hose mod is fast approaching.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:54:33 pm
Well mine's a 500ES but I just enjoy the satisfaction of kick starting the bike. Sort of badge of honour thing. I have found that if it doesn't go first and very maybe second kick on rare occasions then something is wrong (points out or condenser unserviceable).
Since fitting the electronic ignition that retains the points but without the condenser it has been very good at this first kick & start routine.
LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

geoffbaker

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:40 pm
Used to happen to me regularly... one out of ten kicks would backfire, send smoke out the airbox, and quite often blow the carb loose. I was planning the hose replacement LSM tallks about but then I decided to go a little further... got rid of carb and engine and replaced with a diesel.
It's even more fun to kickstart than a regular RE!