aboard

Author Topic: New headlight for IronBarrel Bullet  (Read 648 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
on: September 10, 2017, 03:34:20 am
Howdy all,
a few days ago a kangaroo jumped in front of me and I had a wreck. I lost some bark and broke my left thumb but I'm ok otherwise, and I was able to ride the bike home. The engine/transmission operated fine and it tracked evenly so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the chassis.

I do need a new headlight because the glass/lens got smashed (the electrics still work however!) So my question is, do I need to order a specific headlight or would an aftermarket one fit? I believe it is 7 inches.

Many thanks

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:08:31 pm
If it is only the glass that is damaged and you still have the "W" clips that holds it in place, any 7" motorcycle lens should fit.

As you are apparently in Australia or you have been riding thru one of the open range zoos here in the USA (chuckle), you can try one of the Royal Enfield suppliers in India or check out the stuff at Hitchcock in England.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/parts-books-online

Hitchcock's prices may be as good or better than you can get where you live and many have found their parts arrive in a very reasonably short time.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:38:33 pm
 I don't know what specific headlamp was fitted for the Australian market. I assume it was a Minda with left hand drive specifications.

They are an excellent piece and affordable. More importantly they are of surprisingly very good quality. Most importantly their performance is second to none and tied for first place only by Bosch units. 

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:20 pm
A few years back , I purchased from EBay store Royalspares. Ordered a nice Minda brand 7 inch lens .
Might be worth a look.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:25 am
Any 7" Lucas-type H4 unit with the correct beam pattern for driving on the left should fit, though bearing in mind the comments about which are the best quality, you might want to do a little more research.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:49 pm
Any 7" Lucas-type H4 unit with the correct beam pattern for driving on the left should fit, though bearing in mind the comments about which are the best quality, you might want to do a little more research.
I currently have a 7 inch lens with "left " side focus on it. I can't tell a difference on the right.  But I don't ride in the dark much .. lol.
A.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 10:13:58 pm
 You have an opportunity to tweak the lighting to your preference here.
 By that I mean if you like a beam with sharp cut off on the horizontal plane at the top of the projected light as is common in European lights, Bosch are very good at that and lest costly than Cibie. At least over here.  If you prefer the older style of light pattern that throws a bit more light down and up on the offside similar to the USA D.O.T then you might look at Minda if you like H4 bulbs or Lucas if you prefer Pre Focus bulbs.  Pre focus are not bad in any way but not popular over here.  If you live where they drive on the right side of the road old fashioned 7 3/4 inch Halogen Sealed Beam headlights are a budget option.  Carrying spares of those is a bit of a chore.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.