Author Topic: Chrome/Graphite C5 OR BMW 310R  (Read 12302 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 02, 2017, 11:30:30 am
looks like according to the dealers the rear disc brake version of the enfield won't hit the shore here in oz this year.
plus they mentioned next year if it arrived

there will be a jump in the price too to cover the abs etc. not that I am concerned about that anyway

so it either wait it out or fill time in and buy a new 2017 plated graphite C5 chrome or try the bmw 310R ..always decisions ::)

could happen within days too

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:50 pm
  I own a 1983 BMW R80RT. In today's world there is nothing comparable. The big air head is from a simpler era. I do have an electronic ignition though. It's an old fashioned, maintainable long haul cruiser with lots of protection and storage spaces. But today's BMW line offers no air head.
   The new little BMW has all the advantages of a modern, high tech, yet lighter weight bike. It has a lot in common with a lot of today's bikes, including reliability. It comes in a smaller package. Today's centralized mass bikes are taller and heavier. There's a place for the little Berliner for someone who doesn't want the height and weight.
  The Bullet is still simple, but with modern touches that are helpful. There's a low CG with lower weight than a lot of machines. The obvious drawback is horse power. Not there. You might consider the advantages of the UCE Bullet, then completely change the power aspect by going Fireball.
  Either way, it's not so bad dealing with this dilemma.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:30:46 am
The 310 certainly ticks all the boxes on paper...
but as my wife discovered after a short test ride - boxes aren't everything (unless they contain shoes)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:55:20 am
well I've thought it over some and today threw a holding deposit on the chrome/graphite C5 till I can get over to the dealer and pick it up ;)
I guess that confirms bike 10 ;D

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:45:29 pm
And yet another milestone for our resident wild man.  ;) ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:14:26 am
yep! a few years back I always said i'd knock over 10 of them ;) so its

4 chromes
4 classics
1 b5
and a gt ;D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:21 am
big day...bike number 10 scheduled for pickup in the morning ;D

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:27 pm
Good choice! Nice looking bike.
Lynn

jefrs

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:52 pm
Going back to the original question of balancing the crank?
It weighs 11kg so it may break your balance.

Changing things inside the engine is usually costly and difficult.
Vibration does lessen if the engine is run up to the red line occasionally, it beds in further (after the 1000 miles running-in period). If the engine vibrates a lot at high revs and/or is reluctant to go over 4800, it needs gradually introducing to more revs. It is supposed to rev to 5500. Using a very conservative maximum piston speed the actual red line is 6800.

I took a different approach of fitting the PCV and the AT-200 Autotune (not cheap neither), analysing the data and running some numbers. I'm still working on the numbers. I'm not going to produce them here, not yet, because I have a misfire issue to resolve yet
Consider what happens during the power stroke. Ignition is initiated some time before TDC. The fuel then burns with the oxygen in the air. Which then heats the air up, all of the air including the nitrogen which doesn't burn so well. The hot air expands and pushes the piston down. The exhaust valve starts to open at 75°BBDC. So in simple terms all combustion, not necessarily the expansion of the hot gasses, has to be completed by then.
For practical purposes the combustion time is fixed but the piston speed is variable; therefore we need to arrange that the ignition is initiated at some fixed time point ahead of the exhaust opening - by advancing the ignition appropriately.
So far, with free-flow exhaust system, K&N, PCV+AT-200, and playing with the fuel map and the ignition map, managed to achieve some 34bhp and 57Nm on the C5, and 100+mph ton-up hitting the RevXtend 6000rpm rev limiter. Since then I have fitted a 19T gearbox sprocket which appear to put all the gears in the right places, far more relaxed cruising at 60-70mph, and better cornering (not bends) as 2nd is now a little higher and normal corners are no longer between 2nd and 3rd
For comparison a DB34 (not DBD34) produced 34bhp and the Velocette Venom gave 33bhp at 6200 and 44Nm at 4500

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:22:56 am
did not the bsa and velocette produce these figures as purchased? our enfields can match or surpass these icons, but that's not their primary charm. not knocking your ambitions, but you just can't look to the racing history and find our heritage bikes in the same league. (my screen saver at work is a dbd34. one of these days!)
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:05:44 am
The 350cc DB32 Goldie produced more bhp than the stock C5, around 34bhp IIRC ( though the power varied according to cams etc - the handbook had all sorts of info about this). I know mine in touring trim with a Concentric carb would tick over like any other single yet would do over 100mph. One I should have kept - I got it as a straight swap for a Suzuki Hustler Mk II. The mechanic who had rebuilt it couldn’t ride it because he’d had an accident on another bike....
I like the later GS version of the BMW 310.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:05 pm
The 350cc DB32 Goldie produced more bhp than the stock C5, around 34bhp IIRC ( though the power varied according to cams etc - the handbook had all sorts of info about this). I know mine in touring trim with a Concentric carb would tick over like any other single yet would do over 100mph. One I should have kept - I got it as a straight swap for a Suzuki Hustler Mk II. The mechanic who had rebuilt it couldn’t ride it because he’d had an accident on another bike....
I like the later GS version of the BMW 310.

Since you brought up the subject of old British 350cc motorcycles, I would like to comment that "The Blue 'Un", in their magazine dated 16 April, 1959, tested the 346cc Royal Enfield Bullet, which they described as "An Exciting, High-performance Mount with Strong Appeal to the Discriminating Sporting Rider". While they didn't test horsepower (I gather that was before the invention of Dynojet dynamometers), they were able to obtain a maximum one-way speed of 88 mph (conditions: light following wind; rider wearing two-piece riding suit and overboots).  The quarter mile from rest was reached in 19 seconds at a speed of 68 mph.  Petrol consumption was listed as 65 mpg at 60 mph and minimum "Non-snatch Speed" was 15 mph.  Weight, fully equipped, with full oil compartment and approximately one gallon of petrol, was 378 pounds (this was prior to the invention of the kilogram  ;)  ) The bike's price was 188 pounds, 7 shillings and 6 "d" (whatever that is).  I might add that the RE had a 7" headlight.   ;D

So there you go, almost 60 years later and not a lot of useful advancements in the current crop of similar displacement motorcycles to my eye.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 04:19:01 pm
Exactly. :) My friend’s Viper would do an honest 90mph too. Frankly my C5 is nowhere near as quick aa a mate’s Venom. He rides it like they used to back in the day. It goes well (and even starts easily....). I didn’t buy my C5 to be a roadburner; it isn’t and anyway it becomes uncomfortable much above 65mph for long. Love it to bits though.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:22 am
The C5 in graphite looks just dandy to me. I'd be sorely tempted to get one, but
I'm holding out for the 650 Interceptor to keep me C5 maroon company.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:21:24 am
So there you go, almost 60 years later and not a lot of useful advancements in the current crop of similar displacement motorcycles to my eye.   ::)

The numbers may remain the same, but one thing that has definitely changed since then is motorcycling magazine reviewers' superlatives - you'd be hard pressed indeed to find a current writer who'll describe any bike with less than 350cc's as "An Exciting, High-performance Mount with Strong Appeal to the Discriminating Sporting Rider"...  ;D