Author Topic: Changing front sprocket  (Read 2988 times)

goydra

• Scooter
on: August 28, 2017, 07:38:29 pm
Hi,

I have stupid questions, but I ask it here anyway so it might help others next time :)

I am planning to change the chain and sprockets:

1. Changing the front sprocket requires to remove the crankcase cover, correct ?
2. If so, I guess there is oil in it, correct ?
3. If so, I guess it is recommended to change the gasket, correct ?

mcraigor

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:10 pm
Hi,

I have stupid questions, but I ask it here anyway so it might help others next time :)

I am planning to change the chain and sprockets:

1. Changing the front sprocket requires to remove the crankcase cover, correct ?
2. If so, I guess there is oil in it, correct ?
3. If so, I guess it is recommended to change the gasket, correct ?

1.  Yes.  Just a heads up, make sure to loosen every bolt and the cover should fall off with slight persuasion unless a sealant was used on the gasket(you don't need it).  If the cover doesn't come off with light force, you missed a bolt(s).  Also, I kept the bolts in the cover but when I pressed the cover back on for assembly some of the bolts fell out.  I found out the bolts are slightly different lengths which took a few minutes of wrenching determining the correct positions which isn't difficult but costs precious time and patience.
2.  Yes- I did mine with a corresponding oil change, "two birds with one stone" but if you can put the oil in a clean container then it's not terrible putting that back in.
3.  Mine was intact and in really great shape at 2500 miles but it did tear when I was changing the sprocket.  I figured I would need a new gasket and I ordered two along with my sprocket just in case I got overzealous.

Here's a link to converting the GT to a 520 chain and sprockets.  If I could go back I probably would of went a little more bland with the sprockets but I'm still happy with the modification.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,23085.msg289346.html#msg289346

P.S. after looking at the link again, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass the rear wheel can be to install.   That first time I removed that I probably spent thirty to forty minutes trying to get that back in place.  Now, maybe ten minutes with a rubber mallet and I'm good.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:02:22 pm by mcraigor »

goydra

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:13:25 am
Thanks for the info !

I've removed the rear wheel this week end and I agree, it was a real pain in the ass to get it back.

For the sprocket, I was planning to change the oil also so it is perfect. I may change the tires as well ! I will also follow your advice and order a new gasket.

Thanks a lot !

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:12:59 pm
Are there any gaskets besides the cover gasket that are inside that need to be replaced or is this pretty straight forward swap out?  Tim put together a package for me with a 19t sprocket, just not sure of the whole procedure?  Wa t to make sure I don't need anything else once I get started!  Any helpful info or even a brief description of the procedure would be extremely helpful! Thanks all!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

goydra

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:03:34 pm
Hi,

It's quite easy actually.
First you have to unplug the 2 electrical connectors.
Edit: and remove the kick-start
Then just remove the bolts and note their location, as they have different lengths.

Remember to plug back the connectors when you are done, or it will not charge your battery anymore and you will end up pushing the bike on the side of the road... like me ;D

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:25:10 am
Hi,

It's quite easy actually.
First you have to unplug the 2 electrical connectors.
Edit: and remove the kick-start
Then just remove the bolts and note their location, as they have different lengths.

Remember to plug back the connectors when you are done, or it will not charge your battery anymore and you will end up pushing the bike on the side of the road... like me ;D

Ok thanks for the reply Goydra!  I think I'm gonna wait on doing the Sprocket til next year so I can get the front 19t and stock rear for a 520 can from HMC!  I really need the power commander and make some lollipops ???? so I can get my GT tuned back right Lin it should be!  I put on the Ace/Derrotone Airbox kit and a straight thru ton up megaphone from classicbikeshop.co.uk !  The sound is gnarly but I need to get a lollipop in there to get some back pressure back and then tune it perfect with the pcv!  I'm gonna probably go ahead and order the motad head pipe from HMC before there all gone too, then everything should be right until HMC comes out with the 4 Val e head and 612cc stroker kit!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:52 am
and before buttoning it all back up be absolutely positive that the O ring for the oil pump is still there and the gear lever shaft is engaged.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.