Author Topic: Royal Enfield Continental GT sales..  (Read 3380 times)

Otto_Ing

on: August 22, 2017, 10:41:42 pm
https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2017/royal-enfield-continental-gt-sells-15-units-march/articlecontent-pf68802-021780.html

Looks like the GT may soon be phased out or replaced with the twin maybe. If the twin saves the day?

https://rideapart.com/articles/royal-enfield-looking-partnership

Atleast they are confident about their technological skills acc. to the above article.  :) ...well their sales growth in India don't leave much doubt on it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:50:06 pm by oTTo »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:41 pm
If  I lived in India I would be excited for R.E.M.
However , from my point of view  I have no expectations for RENA since all I've seen is a"Dog & Pony show" .
My next new motorcycle will be a Moto Guzzi or  1970s single.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:17 am
As much as I like the looks of the Continental GT, its styling only appeals to a small number of people who remember and like the days of the Cafe Racer.

RE would be wise to offer folding spring loaded foot pegs in a forward (normal) position, regular RE C5 handlebars and a 2 person seat, creating a new model of that motorcycle.  Something that non-racers could ride in a sit up and beg rider position.

If they did, I know sales would increase world wide.

As for RENA, it sure would be interesting to know what their sales figures are.
With no dealerships in many states, I doubt that they are selling very many of their RE's. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:38:22 am
I'm under the impression that spring loaded footrests are only there to increase sales of spare parts- drop a modern triumph and it can cost you over £1000  >:( drop an RE and you might have to put a hammer to the footrest and dust off some dirt from the footrest rubber ;)

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Otto_Ing

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:58 am
I never got the point of the foldable footpegs other than weight increase. Nevertheless...

The latest spy shots suggest they will make exactly as Jim said in regards to the bike layout and will be adding the 750 twin to it but will that be good enough for any other markets than India is the big question....

The way it's going with the Himalayen it's most like to hit the international market not before 2020 or so.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:08:52 am

RE would be wise to offer folding spring loaded foot pegs in a forward (normal) position, regular RE C5 handlebars and a 2 person seat, creating a new model of that motorcycle.  Something that non-racers could ride in a sit up and beg rider position.

If they did, I know sales would increase world wide.

Exactly, and not a big deal for the minimum amount of retooling required.

On the cafe racer theme. Having one is all about building your own.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:08 am
+1 for Normal
Sit up and beg is good, sit up and beg is very good.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:37:51 am
I never got the point of the foldable footpegs other than weight increase. Nevertheless...

The latest spy shots suggest they will make exactly as Jim said in regards to the bike layout and will be adding the 750 twin to it but will that be good enough for any other markets than India is the big question....

The way it's going with the Himalayen it's most like to hit the international market not before 2020 or so.

Otto,
  During hard corning, dragging fold-able foot pegs pivots them up and back upon contact with the road instead of digging them in like fixed pegs.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:22:47 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:10:42 am
Interestingly I used to look after a Sachs Roadster for a guy. In effect they were a "parts bin" bike, but good quality build and not any vices. Suzuki motor, reliable, very user friendly, comfortable, and never sold ? Likewise the MZ Skorpian with it's Yamaha powerplant was a hugely rewarding bike to ride, didn't sell, and my pal who works in the San Francisco area a few months a year, keeps a Buell Blast as his transport. I've no experience whatsoever regarding the Buell, but the other two bikes drop into the same market as Enfield, perhaps without the kudos of the historical name, but certainly beat Enfield hands down on quality and reliability so why didn't they sell in their droves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:39:04 am by malky »
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:28:26 pm
I have a friend who owns a Buell Blast (along with 23 other motorcycles). We once traded bikes for 10 miles around his neighborhood. I rode his Blast and he rode my RE B5.  In my opinion, the Blast, while functional and easy to maintain, is a piece of crapola. It was one of the worst motorcycles that I have ever ridden in my 55 years of riding just as many motorcycles. The larger Buells are pretty nice bikes, the the Blast is no blast and perhaps explains the last video that Eric produced when the Blast was finally terminated, which showed it being crushed and dropped into a dumpster.  :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 11:38:00 pm
I'm under the impression that spring loaded footrests are only there to increase sales of spare parts- drop a modern triumph and it can cost you over £1000  >:( drop an RE and you might have to put a hammer to the footrest and dust off some dirt from the footrest rubber ;)

Folding foot pegs start to fold up when they drag on the tarmac.

That does two things.
It tells the rider he/she is approaching the maximum lean and it doesn't dig the foot pegs into the asphalt.

Rigid foot pegs like the Royal Enfields can dig into the asphalt without the rider knowing it is happening.
Without any warning from the foot peg,  the rider will continue to try to hold his line in the corner.

That will "unload" the force on the rear tire and without the load on it the tire can lose its grip causing the bike (and rider) to crash.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 03:39:05 pm
I also find the Buell Blast just dreadful to ride. Their big bikes are great fun.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 05:26:10 pm
My experience with the folding pegs is this;

When my 2015 Bonneville tipped over it bent the gear selector shaft and darn near left me stranded in the woods.

After I got home
(without first or second gear) I replaced it myself but it cost me about $150.00 and my time to do it.
I've even read that this can lead to premature transmission failure down the road...  ???

So far, I've tipped my 2015 C5 twice without incident (thanks to the ridged foot pegs). I just pick it up and go. Old world technology at it's finest. 8)

I guess if the peg scrapes you just have to hang off!  :o
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Otto_Ing

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 05:56:01 pm
Otto,
  During hard corning, dragging fold-able foot pegs pivots them up and back upon contact with the road instead of digging them in like fixed pegs.

OK i get it, it won't however ever happen on the GT they are too high for that like on the race bikes.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 07:25:37 pm
Dragged the Enfield exhaust on a right hander once and the footrest rubber on a left hander once.
So I'm guessing I probably misjudged my corner speeds by about 1 or 2 mph.
Hasn't happened since re-evaluating my cornering technique.
Now I'm slow in,slow out and slow almost everywhere else.

But for all the other bends there's the folding footrests  ::)  ::)