Author Topic: Help! Headlight and blinker signal not working on NEW 08 Military  (Read 5331 times)

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Hi guys, this is my first post (hope it's in the right forum!), and I'm a little sad that it has to be a somewhat negative one. I hope to be a productive member of this forum in the days to come.

I am a first-time motorcyclist, and I just purchased a 2008 Military 500 after MUCH research. Absolutely love the bike -- perfect for me.

I've been taking the bike out on small 'running-in' drives during the day for the past couple of days -- and I guess I never even bothered to look and see if the headlight was working until tonight. I took it out towards the evening time, and noticed right away that the headlight wasn't working.  Also, I noticed that the rear driver-side turn signal does not turn on, while all others do.

This is a brand-new bike, just delivered 3 days ago from an out-of-state dealer. The bike started up fine and has been running fine -- the only problems I can see right now are the headlight and the rear left blinker not working.

Any ideas? What could this be? Is it something I could fix on my own (I'm not necessarily mechanically-inclined, but I'm not a complete dolt, either).

Thanks for any and all help, I'm truly excited to be part of this community!

Josh
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:46:29 am
Welcome Josh,  first try the obvious, check to see if the bulbs are good.  If they are move on to checking for a good ground, if that doesn't do the trick start looking for loose connections.  That should keep you entertained for a while.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:14:36 pm
Yes, WELCOME.  I don't have any advice to add, but just don't get too discouraged from this first little problem...  These bikes are really pretty tough and reliable.   Follow the run-in directions to the letter and your bike will just keep getting better and smoother.  I hope it's just bad bulbs, but if it's not then post it here and you'll find a lot of support from these guys who know how to use a wrench. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

staib

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:10:30 pm
Hi and a warm welcome from 'over the pond' to you Josh.

As others have said there can be little electrical gremlins to sort out - but they ARE little, and they can all be sorted...  It will prove to the bike that you are the BOSS!

I had my '06 Classic stop on me the other day - it proved to be a connector under the ammeter that had simply worked loose. I think it was being pulled gently whenever I turned the handlebars full left (as you do to lock them).  That's one worth checking and then taping shut as a precautionary step.  Since then the bike has been running flawlessly.
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:33:21 pm
On my 2001 Bullet Classic the main headlamp bulb filaments are powered by regulated AC current that is produced by an extra winding on the alternator. This supply is completely separate from the rectified DC that powers everything else - quite good really because you know that the headlight isn't leeching precious juice from the ignition circuit.

The alternator is connected in via a clutch of 4 bullet connectors that lie between the toolboxes. One of these had zero insertion force on my bike until I replaced the relevant bullet with a soldered one. Might be a good place to look first if your bike is similar.

Regarding the indicators - wires are thin with many bullet connectors. At least you know your flasher unit is good if some of them are working.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:15:21 pm
Hi guys, thanks for all of your suggestions! I was able to fix the rear turn signal -- there was just a connection loose. 

I didn't have as much luck with the headlight, however. I took it off to look at it, and I immediately noticed that there was a wire that wasn't connected. Let me preface this again by saying that I have pretty much ZERO mechanical experience, so I really didn't know much about what I was looking at. However, there was a green/gold (I'm red-green color blind, so sometimes colors look the same) wire that was not attached. I think it had a copper end to it, and it looked like it was supposed to be plugged into another wire of the same color with a similar head, which was surrounded by a clear plastic-rubber housing. I plugged it in thinking that would solve the problem -- but no luck. All the other wires appear to be attached and okay.

So I'm not really sure what could be causing the headlight to not work. The two smaller lights above the headlight work just fine. Leonard suggested checking for a good ground -- I'm just not sure how to do that. I could probably do it if I knew what to look for, but I just have no idea. By the way, Leonard -- are you the Enfield owner in Salina, KS?  I ran across your profile on this site and sent you an email. I'm a new Enfield owner just outside of Wichita, KS and was wondering if there were any other owners in the surrounding areas, and was wondering and hoping there might be some sort of gathering or group.

Thanks again guys for the support! I hope I get this headlight bug worked out real soon...

2008 Military Iron

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:54:30 pm
The two side lights run off the main DC system and are earthed to the headlamp casquette.

If your main headlamp is AC powered like the one on my earlier bike then current won't run down to earth/ground from the bulb filament but instead will route back to the other side of the auxillary alternator winding via a dedicated wire.

This sounds like a job for a friendly auto electrician.

Chas
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:56:15 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:29:28 pm
Without a multi-meter you might have to take the headlight problem back to your dealer.  Hopefully you can get any bugs worked out while the bike is still under warranty.
Yes, that's me in Salina and I've never seen another Bullet in Kansas.  I know they are out there but they stay quiet.

Leonard suggested checking for a good ground -- I'm just not sure how to do that. I could probably do it if I knew what to look for, but I just have no idea. By the way, Leonard -- are you the Enfield owner in Salina, KS?  I ran across your profile on this site and sent you an email. I'm a new Enfield owner just outside of Wichita, KS and was wondering if there were any other owners in the surrounding areas, and was wondering and hoping there might be some sort of gathering or group.
Thanks again guys for the support! I hope I get this headlight bug worked out real soon...
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:13:59 am
I almost hate to bring it up, but I didn't see it mentioned. The pilot lights and turn signals will come on when the key is turned on. The headlight will only come on with the engine running.

On a Subaru board I'm on, there is frequently a post about parking lights not turning off. That will have someone pulling a fuse or disconnecting a battery to turn them off to keep the battery from going dead. 9 out of 10 times it's the rocker switch on top of the steering column that was inadvertently switched on. The switch just turns on the parking lights. Usually happens after someone just cleaned the inside of the car. Sometimes called a "virgin switch" signifying a new Subaru owner.

2002 Bullet ES

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:40:24 am
daves02ES -- no worries, thank you for bringing it up. However, I actually didn't even notice the headlight wasn't working until the motorcycle was up and running and I was about to take off. I'm probably just going to take it out to a local dealer and see if they can fix it up for me.

2008 Military Iron

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:41 am
I'm probably just going to take it out to a local dealer and see if they can fix it up for me.

Best thing to do if under warranty.
2002 Bullet ES

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:36 pm
I almost hate to bring it up, but I didn't see it mentioned. The pilot lights and turn signals will come on when the key is turned on. The headlight will only come on with the engine running....

For what it's worth, my headlight comes on as the switch is turned on.  The motor does not have to be running.  Maybe it's a difference in wiring between years and/or models. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:32 am
For what it's worth, my headlight comes on as the switch is turned on.  The motor does not have to be running.  Maybe it's a difference in wiring between years and/or models. 

My mistake then. I know mine runs directly off the alternator, so they obviously changed it somewhere along the way. Does anyone know when that was?
2002 Bullet ES