Author Topic: Safety inspection question  (Read 3478 times)

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:31 am
In Texas we have to get a safety inspection done before we can get our registration sticker. Does anyone know if the safety inspection also includes a smog test? And if so do they stick a sniffer up the tailpipe or plug in to the ECU. Is this something I have to go back to the Royal Enfield dealer on the other side of town 50 miles away or can I take it up the freeway 5 miles to the Harley dealer and have the same thing done? Not worried about the safety inspection but more curious about the smog inspection, if they plug into the ECU is that specific to a Royal Enfield dealer or something generic that another dealer would be able to do? I think the last time I had it inspected all they did was just an inspection for safety and not a smog inspection.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Otto_Ing

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:35 am
If a smog test is required it will be done with a sniffer at any place. Motorcycles are technically not there yet to be read out via obd. In future standardized obd interfaces shall hit the market. This can go so far that your motorcycle will than automatically report to the authorities when you exceed the speed limit and your bank account will be automatically charged. The technical possibilities exist, so be happy the regulators are not there yet.  ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:40:37 pm
If there is a state in the U.S. that requires motorcycles to be smog checked I have yet to hear about it. (You would think that Texas would be about the last place to require that.  ;)  )  Even California doesn't require any smog (or anything else) checking after the initial sale of the motorcycle, just smog regulation compliance by the manufacturer - just like they got from VW.  ::)

There has been talk about smog checking motorcycles in CA for the past 10 years or so, but nothing has come of it.  I suspect that 80% of the Hogs in the state wouldn't comply and then what do you do with all of that iron and likely no way to make them comply anymore?  Put them all in a landfill?  :o I have a friend with an H-D who received an official manufacturer smog-compliance recall to fix some sort of component.  When he visited his dealer he didn't even have to have the bike inspected.  They just looked at his bike and the VIN and signed off on a form that it had been repaired and sent him on his way. And so it goes....   ::)  The smog-checking program is just a money-making racket in my opinion.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:43:12 am
I've had my 14gt inspected at an independent shop here in Waco twice and there's no smog test.  Prior to that I used to get my 01 bonnie done at Quikersticker.  There was mention that motorcycles may not have to be inspected next year.   Hard to believe.   Waiting to see.

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:17 am
The law changed quite a while ago, where if you live in a certain county(say, Harris County) with a large and condensed population with a jillion cars in that county, then you must submit to a smog test. When the law came about some car owners in those congested counties would sneak around the law by having an inspection done in a sparsely populated county. Then, those assholes got slammed eventually, so now in Texas 'Where you live you got to get your inspection done in that county'.
So, if I were you I would inquire at your local Officially Licensed Motorcycle Inspection Station before you start pulling all your fun stuff off. 
Here in Bell county it's 12 bucks for inspection and a piece of paper, then the paper to the Tax Assessors' Office for the plate sticker.
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:54:04 pm
I didn't think there was a smog test but I wasn't sure. Last time I had mine inspected, I told them before they started that they needed to turn the headlight switch on to get the headlight to work. And they come back and tell me that the light bulb didn't work. I told him it worked when I pulled in the parking lot because I could see the reflection of my headlight in the windows of the building. They changed the bulb and still didn't work then I asked if they had checked the fuse and the technician looked at me for a second then says the fuses are by the battery right? And me being a smart alec, I said you're the technician you tell me. Then I said did you check to see if the light bulb was getting voltage and he said no then as he started to walk away I said you got to turn the light switch on. Anyways long story short, a friend met me at the dealer and we ended up going to lunch down the street. When I came back they still hadn't figured out why the headlight wasn't working. I walked out to the shop and turn the key on and turn the light switch on and the light worked. The technician looks at me and says how'd you get it to work? And I said I turn the light switch on like I told you guys to do three different times and he looks at the switch and says well how about that.

So if there's no smog test needed and it's just a safety test then I will forget about driving 50 miles to the west side of town to have people that don't know what they're doing inspect it. I'll just run 5 miles up the freeway and have the Harley dealer do it.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 07:01:51 pm
Most new Harley's don't have light switches either.

Best idea is to leave the headlight on when you shut off the engine.
That way it will turn on when they do their silly test.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:01:20 am
Most new Harley's don't have light switches either.

Best idea is to leave the headlight on when you shut off the engine.
That way it will turn on when they do their silly test.  8)

Ditto that.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

KD5ITM

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:15:09 am
Yeah, I learned my lesson
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

RedCGT

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:28:32 pm
Texas requires only a safety inspection. Lights, signals and horn. I've had to do a brake test in previous years but not in the past two years with my four bikes.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:59:43 pm
For vehicle inspections here in McLennan county TX , you now have to pay half ( $7 ) to the inspection station, and the other half to the county when you get registration.  No sticker, its all in computer.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:12:42 am
For vehicle inspections here in McLennan county TX , you now have to pay half ( $7 ) to the inspection station, and the other half to the county when you get registration.  No sticker, its all in computer.

A lot more expensive in California (naturally).  Auto smog inspection costs are set by the vendor, in addition to a "certificate" fee charged by the state.  Everything is sent to the state by electronic means, which must be performed before you can pay your (expensive, naturally) yearly vehicle registration. The biannual smog check cost me $80 last month and my 1999 Saturn has never registered on the instruments, much less been anywhere near the maximums permitted by the state.  What a waste of money - as usual.  >:(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

KD5ITM

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:00:45 pm
The last time I got it safety inspected, I paid I believe $7 for the inspection and then paid whatever the fee was for the registration and mailed it in. Two months went by before I realized I never got my sticker for the license plate. Went down to the courthouse and the lady gave me the run-around asking me why I was riding a motorcycle with an outdated sticker and then she was saying that they don't mail the sticker so I asked how am I supposed to get the sticker and she says something about filling out a Greensheet. So I told her I didn't know anything about the Greensheet and said that all I needed was the sticker. After going back and forth she finally issued me a new sticker. That was October 2015. At one point she was trying to issue me a new license plate and I said all I need is the sticker that was never mailed to me and of course she says we don't mail the sticker. So I said how am I supposed to get the sticker and she kept going on about filling out a green sheet but she would never explain what the Greensheet was. Sometimes people make things a lot harder than they need to be.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

RedCGT

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 06:41:46 pm
I got my Buell inspected yesterday in Texas. It was $7 and covered nothing but lights, signals, and horn. Took only a few minutes. I went home and renewed my registration online. I tested the system by attempting to renew my BMW but was unable to because it was not inspected yet. The inspection data gets uploaded immediately so you can do your registration.