Author Topic: C5 air filter  (Read 12586 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 04:22:45 am
Unfortunately no. I recall someone posted about it 5 or so years ago.

Just found the post about the paper element Corvair filter. It is slightly larger in diameter than the stock one.  It does fit but you will have to lose the plastic thingy. The cover plate is a bit too small to cover it.  Either cut a new plate or use one from an older cast iron bullet. Look around reply 26 for the discussion

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,9617.0/all.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:25:58 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:36 pm
Just ballparking it a little the Royal Enfield filter is about 4 3/8 in. OD, 3 in. ID and 2 15/16 in. tall over the rubber ends.

That air compressor filter in the first post is the right OD and ID but its 2 1/4" height is about 0.69" shorter.

The Ingersoll Rand filter seems to be very close to being the right size if the picture is accurate but I can't make heads or tails of the dimensions they give.

They say it is 4.37 in L X 2.31 in W X 3 in H
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 07:47:25 pm
WIX brand  1961-1964 Chevrolet Corvair filter is
 ID 3 7/8"
OD 5 1/2"
HT 3 1/8"
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 01:26:42 am
 I was cruising past a tractor supply a little while ago , so I stopped in and grabbed one for ten bucks . Looks damn near perfect ?  I'll measure it up when I get home ...

The Ingersoll Rand job is..

4 1/4 in. OD,  3 in. ID, and 2 3/8 in. tall.  over the rubber ends.  It's about 13 in. around , and has the same filter surface area on the outer sides as the stock filter.... which is  1 5/8 in. wide.  So about  21 square inches of exposed filtering area in the box. ...Plenty I think.    It would work perfect !......

BUT , because the Compressor filter is not as tall as the stock one. You would need more threads on the threaded post in the C-5 air box, which holds the plate on top of the filter.   Or ... replace that threaded stud or post with a new bolt that would allow you to thread the nut down onto the plate deeper, so a good seal could be made against the filter.  Very do-able I think ?  If a full threaded bolt were to be put in there in place of the stock post, one could use either the stock filter, or one of these filters when needed.   I'll post pictures if you need them..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:21:50 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 06:49:08 pm
 The Ingersoll Rand filter part number is 32170979-VS.    And it is listed for Compressor models beginning with...
SS5
TS5
TS7
TS15
TS51

Some comparison shots between the stock filter and the Ingersoll Rand Filter in a stock C-5 air Box ...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 06:51:10 pm

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:16 pm

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 10:04:56 pm
    Just checked it on a G-5 air box. ...Same scenario .   The Ignersoll Rand filter is a little too short and not tall enough.   Again, I think if one were to replace the threaded stud on the bracket which holds the air filter tight, with a full threaded bolt it would work..  perhaps with a shorter spacer over the new bolt to back up the inside of the air filter plate.     One could also replace that stock plate with a 1 Quart paing can lid .  ;D      It fits perfectly over the Ingersoll Rand filter and is smaller then the stock plate.  Even the rubber ridge on the compressor filter would fit right into the lip of the paint can lid.  :o     Hey ?  Cheap an easy way to fee up some space in that air box ?  LOL !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 02:37:06 am
   Aaaaaaa.... Forget what I said about modifying anything.   All you need is a few washers and a 1 quart paint can lid.    ;D

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 04:01:04 am
That's an elegant solution.  Given the substitute air filter's smaller diameter, could there be an impact on the maximum amount of air that could pass through the filter, compared to the stock air filter? Or is the UCE engine unlikely to hit that limit, even at 'full chuff'?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 04:45:03 am
That's an elegant solution.  Given the substitute air filter's smaller diameter, could there be an impact on the maximum amount of air that could pass through the filter, compared to the stock air filter? Or is the UCE engine unlikely to hit that limit, even at 'full chuff'?

To be honest ?... I don't think it's going to make damn bit of difference.   Probably a toss up.   Air isn't filtered on the stock intake directly like a pod filter stuck on the end of a carb.  It's filtered as it enters the box and then gets sucked in.... Smooth laminar air flow for the MAP sensor.       There is plenty of room in that box to be drawn into the intake after it is filtered.    The slightly smaller size filter will create a little more air volume in there.. . not much.   And it shouldn't have an issue keeping that box filled with air.   It IS smaller... but it looks like it has less pleats of paper and less densely stacked.     I'll stick a vacuum gauge on the intake  and a volt meter on the MAP sensor when I play with it to see if there is any change...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 12:46:42 pm
Cool custom filter cover, GHG!  Can I buy one from you?  How's 50 bucks sound?

BTW, what about that plastic inner cover - does your early C5 have it?  On the 2011 B5, the "toolbox" doesn't seal well, and I'm pretty sure the plastic panel is needed to assure that only filtered air enters the engine (what with the "backwards" center-to-outside air flow through the filter)...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:54:36 pm
  Aaaa... yeah sure, Ok Matt ? ::)   But listen !   I put a lot of thought and effort into that .  And that better be PLUS the shipping cost !   ;D ;)

No, no plastic cover came in the tool/air box on my 09' .  Why ?... that's what Hockey tape is for I tell ya !  To seal the seem around the cover of course. ::)    No big deal though, neither one of those tool boxes lasted too long on my bike.   But yes, that plastic inner cover is needed for a better seal around the lid and hinge .   I also believe it may prevent the cover from blasting open and  jettisoning the lock when your hammering down the highway. ::) ;)

I'll tell ya, I think the G-5 has a much better purpose made and molded air box... with a MUCH better seal.    There are a lot of good things about those G-5's  that I like . Little differences here or there that I think are better then the C-5's.   Shame they stopped making those bikes...

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 06:44:43 pm
Grateful acknowledgement to Desi Bike for the Corvair lead.  Research found STP #AF120 to include two filters for ten bucks at Auto Zone here in California.  Just a bit larger than stock but fit well enough with a bit of wiggling.  Sealed with grease, and installed in about ten minutes.  Tested bike up to 70 MPH with no restrictions bangs or pops.  Thanks to all members for your input.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 08:04:01 pm
   The  Corvair filter looks good !

For those interested in the Ingersoll Rand compressor filter.   Vacuum numbers are similar to the stock filter at idle and at 3000 rpms.... about a 1/2 in. Hg drop . map sensor Voltage  every close to the same as well .... MAYBE 100th of a volt.

A shot of it in a G-5 air box, vs the stock filter....

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:16:02 pm by gashousegorilla »