Author Topic: Finally did it  (Read 1618 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 28, 2017, 04:07:34 pm
I never did like that forest of spindly studs that hold down the highly stressed rocker bearing blocks. They always looked as though one of them might uproot and make a break for it with 10 little alloy hoops around its ankles. Yeah, I just stripped one at about 8.5 ft lb. Maybe the published torque value of 9 ft lb is good for bone dry threads and a brand new head but not for my old nail. After I have done the thread repair I am setting the nuts to 7 ft lb with a dash of Loctite for security.

I was a bit surprised to find that the cylinder head end of the stud is 1/4 BSF, just like the hard steel nut end. I had expected to find some gross farmyard Whitworth thread where it goes into the soft stuff. Better if it had been so.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:14:53 am
Well, you will have that, Chasfield... 10 little ankle bracelets on the stud, I have a good visual of that lol.
I am going to replace the stock rockers with the Samrat alloy rocker set that I have, and I am going to take your sage advice about using Loctite and low torque values. My bike is a 1996, and has about 3300 miles on it total. The alloy used in these bikes is pretty soft, I do know that, but 8.5 ft.lb is really low... I am amazed that it stripped. But, your teaching me about what to look for, so I will use great caution when I approach that task. Thanks!
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:22:59 am
5 ft-lbs on the rocker block nuts is all that is necessary, even with high lift cams and strong springs. We have this on all the Fireballs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !