Author Topic: Potential New Owner  (Read 4785 times)

Teejay

• Neophyte
on: August 20, 2007, 07:52:47 pm
I'm looking to purchase my first bike, and have always loved the look of a classsic motorcycle.  I have no need for speed or a deathwish.  Would a RE be a good first bike?  I have ridden dirtbikes in the past, but I consider myself a novice.  I'm about 6 mths away from purchasing a bike.  I'm open for all comments, and suggestions.  I'm also not afraid to do a little engine work or maintenence. :-\

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:07:41 pm
You sound just like me. I'm a first time owner although growing up in the sticks somebody always had some sort of two wheel thing we goofed off on. I have been nothing but happy ever since I bought my 06' Classic. I haven't had to do any mechanical stuff beyond fixing a very minor electrical issue early on and the normal maintenance like oil changes and routine stuff like that.

I bought a few books specifically on the RE's from CMW and they help alot with learning about the norms associated with these bikes.

I'd say that it is a very friendly beginner bike. It's light and nimble, gets great mileage, and it's reliable. Plus the oooh...ahhh... factor every place you go doesn't come with your run of the mill HD wanna be bikes you see every day.

Adam
REA Member #10

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:15:16 pm
I'm looking to purchase my first bike, and have always loved the look of a classsic motorcycle.  I have no need for speed or a deathwish.  Would a RE be a good first bike?  I have ridden dirtbikes in the past, but I consider myself a novice.  I'm about 6 mths away from purchasing a bike.  I'm open for all comments, and suggestions.  I'm also not afraid to do a little engine work or maintenence. :-\

I think an Electra X would make a great 1st bike. It's relatively small and light. It's very narrow and maneuverable. Maintenance is simple (although a little more frequent than on a UJM). It's relatively inexpensive (and a good value).

Then again, I might be prejudiced... ;D

Matt

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:25:03 pm

I think an Electra X would make a great 1st bike. It's relatively small and light. It's very narrow and maneuverable. Maintenance is simple (although a little more frequent than on a UJM). It's relatively inexpensive (and a good value).

Then again, I might be prejudiced... ;D

Matt
[/quot

Teejay,

I agree with Matt.  The Electrda X would make a great 1st bike.  However, if I were buying an Electra today, I would buy it completely stock.  I would'nt add the performance kit upon delivery like I did, I would add it later, then you REALLY could tell a difference.  I will never REALLY know.   I ordered and paid for the Classic Electra Kit close to 3 months ago and still am waiting for it to come in.  Yeah, on hindsight I wish I had taken delivery on a completely stock Electra. 
The Electra is a fine bike Teejay, fun to ride, great gas mileage, and you will get more attention from other riders than you will on any other motorcycle.  Just keep in mind it is what it is.  I am planning to buy a 2007 BMW F650GS within the next couple of months, but I plan to keep the Enfield.  Its a great bike
Good Luck
Terry

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:38:40 pm
Any of the RE line would be a good fit for someone who loves classic bikes and is not afraid of turning a wrench

deejay

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:00 am
well, i don't think you'll have people here telling you not to get one...  just remember, it doesn't just look like a 1950s motorcycle, it IS one.