Author Topic: ABS in the USA?  (Read 16071 times)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: July 26, 2017, 05:40:47 pm
I seem to remember seeing hydrogen powered buses in Barcelona (?) - one of the large continental cities anyway. Steam out of the exhaust and pretty quiet. I would have thought that with sufficient investment it could be practical. There's always nuclear.... ;)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32:27 pm
Well over a year ago someone started building an H2 station to refuel H2 cars, replacing an old gas station located in Sky Londa, across from Alice's Restaurant, in the Santa Cruz Mountains, south of San Francisco.  The station is supposed to dispense H2 to H2 cars that no one has bought yet - and likely no one wants unless someone else subsidizes them.  40% of the H2 is supposed to be made at the station and the other 60% will be trucked in by tanker truck.  A great place for an H2 station.  ::) 20 miles from any major population centers and the local backwoods residents, with their diesel-powered 4-wheel drive pickups, just laugh at the project.  It was supposed to be opened up in March, but all work stopped last November and nothing has been done since.  Another taxpayer boondoggle, no doubt.  ::)  Photos attached.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

2014BulletC5

• Scooter
Reply #62 on: July 26, 2017, 11:25:54 pm
           Nothing! the government mandates me to buy is good.

I just realized I should amend my above:

Nothing the FEDeral government mandates me to buy is good.

I do believe the States have the responsibility to mandate vehicle insurance, for example.

The government isn't mandating you buy anything. Nobody is forcing you to buy a bike with ABS and you're free to buy another brand or an older bike.

You're not even mandated to buy vehicle insurance. You can ride a bicycle or take the bus. Or walk.

I guess that means you still have to buy healthcare unless the Republicrats can work out a repeal.

Manufacturers are the ones taking the hit. But RE should have seen this one coming and, fingers crossed, they have a system developed that'll roll out with little or no fanfare. Hopefully.
Royal Enfield!  3/4 Ton Up!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 10:08:57 pm
Malky, would you please explain your comment "with the disk setup you loose the luxury of QD ".  Thanks hp

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:29 pm
Malky, would you please explain your comment "with the disk setup you loose the luxury of QD ".  Thanks hp

The drum brake set up allows you (in my experience anyway ) easier removal of the rear wheel for maintenance, puncture repairs etc, because the brake is undisturbed and bolted to the swinging arm, whereas the disc rear hub means it takes a bit longer as the  brake caliper has to be removed, or the pads shoved back for ease of reassembly. I've no doubt the disc is superior in efficiency, but as I can lock up the rear on mine without too much effort, I can live with the drum. The first picture is of the old bullet, the UCE is the same but on the opposite side. For roadside puncture repairs it saves a lot of grief, if you get the bike up on the center stand with the wheel hanging over a " pit" , getting the wheel out is easy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:33:05 pm by malky »
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: July 30, 2017, 11:44:53 am
I removed the rear wheel of my disc breaked GT with no problem.

The chain and sprocket still stay in place -  I hooked up the brake calliper using a bungee cord to the lifting handle, and the wheel rolls out easily once the mudguard extension and number (licence) plate is removed.

Personally I wouldn't bother even trying to repair a puncture at the roadside - I doubt the tubeless tyres would be an easy thing to try and remove from the rim.

John

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #66 on: July 30, 2017, 12:30:08 pm
I removed the rear wheel of my disc breaked GT with no problem.

The chain and sprocket still stay in place -  I hooked up the brake calliper using a bungee cord to the lifting handle, and the wheel rolls out easily once the mudguard extension and number (licence) plate is removed.

Personally I wouldn't bother even trying to repair a puncture at the roadside - I doubt the tubeless tyres would be an easy thing to try and remove from the rim.

John

Point taken. Unfortunately the response time I've experienced from recovery firms has been a six hour wait minimum, so fixing a puncture is much quicker. These work a treat getting the bead broken from the rim. Tubed or tubeless. :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 01:31:46 pm
I guess it depends where you live, to some extent. I seem to have been reasonably lucky. I doubt I'd try to remove a tubeless tyre from an alloy rim at the roadside either. There's a lot to be said for tubeless tyres without tubes - just plug and go unless the tyre is badly damaged. Never had much luck with Slime etc. I find removing calipers is an easy task, as is moving the pads back. Give me a rear disc any time. Much easier to maintain and more likely to work. The rear brake on my C5 is awful and I don't entirely trust it not to cause the rear wheel to lock up.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

jefrs

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: August 25, 2017, 01:44:09 pm
I guess it depends where you live, to some extent. I seem to have been reasonably lucky. I doubt I'd try to remove a tubeless tyre from an alloy rim at the roadside either. There's a lot to be said for tubeless tyres without tubes - just plug and go unless the tyre is badly damaged. Never had much luck with Slime etc. I find removing calipers is an easy task, as is moving the pads back. Give me a rear disc any time. Much easier to maintain and more likely to work. The rear brake on my C5 is awful and I don't entirely trust it not to cause the rear wheel to lock up.

Maybe OT but the rear drum on an RE is very, very easy to fix so it is a good reliable and effective brake.
The shoes must centralise.
RE paint the cam bush to the backplate. It was not designed like that. It has locknuts and slotted holes so it can slide and centralise the shoes.
Take it off, clean it up and put it back on so it /just/ slides under your weight on the brake pedal. It doesn't want to be loose or it will adjust itself when you hit bumps in the road, but it must move.
Then the shoes centralise, you're now using both shoes and the brake point is in the same place every time. Really useful for slow manoeuvring and feathering into bends.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 11:22:57 pm
Well first point the EU are responsible for bringing in the laws on compulsory abs, yes it does look like like they give to you free, that's what they want you to think, but bear in mind after a few years they recoup their money 20 fold and have you chained to main dealer service only, or in other words chained to the EU devil who wants to slim down your wallet.