Author Topic: Hard Pannier Project  (Read 8259 times)

addict1

• Scooter
on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:12 pm
I'm in the process of designing/building an ali or fiberglass pannier set for my C5 (2013 Military). I'm not sure whether to go aluminium or fiberglass (molded) at this stage but the size will remain the same. Ali is cool but has its limitations but fiberglass (a bit heavier) can be produced en-masse at relatively low cost.

Catch is that I live apart from my bike  :-[ Can anyone with a bike handy supply me with the measurements for:
Air box to back of standard turn indicator/trafficator? (Basic length of pannier)
Widest point of the "rear fender support bars" (that bloody bulge which destroyed my soft bags)? (width of kit overall). MM would be preferred because, 2017 and all...

This will give me an idea of size (volume) for the design of the boxes.
I have a local boat builder/mate who will do the glass work for me so I might be able to do a run and send the "blanks" out if anyone may be keen.

I'm thinking that the frames are pretty straight forward, bend, weld, fit, bend, fit, weld, fit.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:18:16 pm by addict1 »
Viewing the world, one thump at a time...

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:25:33 am
In case anyone was confused about the measurements I need, I have a photo attached...

Thanks!

tracendaz

• Scooter
  • Living the dream!
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:45 am
Hi Addict,

446mm from rear of airbox/fusebox to the forward point of the indicator.
375mm from the outside of one bend in the fender stay to the outside of the other.

In both cases just touching.

I have a 2015 UK C5 in battle green so your bike should be as similar as RE tolerances allow!

Good luck with the pannier project and please keep us all updated.

Tracendaz.
2015 Classic 500 Battle Green.

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:39:40 am
Great! Thanks Tracendaz! I will be knocking up a box mold for the glass trial soon; I'll post as I get along with it!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:26:38 pm
...so your bike should be as similar as RE tolerances allow!

;D

Good luck with that!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:37:59 pm
+1.
Looking forward to your results!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 05:47:53 pm
I'm not a very tall person, last bike I used hard GIVI bags on was hard to mount unless on its center stand - which allowed me to climb aboard using the foot pegs. I have found that soft bags are smaller when empty & a easier for me to swing a leg over. You probably thought of that.
I always loved the pretty vintage British Craven fiberglass bags, but they wouldn't be a comfortable match for me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 04:44:31 am
 ;D I will be building in major tolerances (and hoping for the best) with the hard bags. I have a set of soft bags which have been faithful over 5000km but are worn through now. My main reason for going the hard bag route is for security; I found on my last trip that was reluctant to leave the bike to explore (museums, walks, shopping, etc.) I'm hoping that with a moderate level of security I can actually experience the places I visit.

As far as mounting the bike goes, 100% on the "center stand, step through method"; I have to do that anyway with my bag and tent etc. on the back rack.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:58:54 am
that bike truly is - one great workhorse!

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:35:48 pm
Personally I'd always do an easy pannier measurement. I'll get me coat....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:44:48 am
@ Wildbill; I love her, I'm busy doing the trip report on that ride but it's taking longer than expected (as always).
So, with a bit of convincing from my overenthusiastic boat builder friend, I've decided to go the carbon fibre route. Picked up 12 squares super cheap on a UK site, www.easycomposites.co.uk. The process goes something like this:
Make a plug out of expanding foam and shape to pannier.
Cast a fibreglass mold off that.
Mold the carbon in the glass mold.
Easy; what could possibly go wrong!?
Foam block cast and started shaping the plug...

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:02 am
Pannier plugs, Mk2; the mix and pour foam is too airy and a pia to shape freehand. I found some old fridge panels and stripped the foam out, shaped on a pattern and voila! Progress! Next the filler and fairing...

addict1

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:51:39 am
So, my pannier project took a bit of down time but I recently made a come back and am almost ready to start laying up the CF...
1. One side laid up around plug and flange.
2. Lay up complete.
3. Ooops! The mold stuck in one corner and started to part! Had to split it plug and all; a little hacking and I got it all cleaned out!
4. Some trimming and polishing and I'm ready for the pannier lay up!

The CF will be painted to match the bike (as close as possible) and I'm thinking of going a bit old school with leather straps like old trunk luggage... But for now its epoxy and carbon...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:55 pm
no-one else bothered to comment so good one ya for having a go! will be interesting to see how this pans out.
get into it! ;)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 07:55:08 pm
Looking forward to seeing how this finishes up!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500