Author Topic: Just Suffered A Vicious MX Crash  (Read 4790 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 04, 2017, 09:04:52 pm
So, as a treat to myself, I decided to do an overnight camping trip at the local MX track my work sponsors.  Packed up and got to the track early Sunday morning and started hitting the trails and tracks.  Later in the afternoon I was feeling good and riding exceptionally fast, so I decided to go on the pro track and take advantage of the fresh groom.  I usually roll most of the jumps on the pro track, but there are a few I hit.  I decided to go for this 60' tabletop that I normally roll, and I came up about a foot short.  Rear wheel caught the lip of the landing, bucked my body off into the superman position, then body slammed off my handlebars and flew thru the air for about another 20'.  After watching the video several times I realized I actually got knocked out for a couple of seconds, and I fractured my sternum off of the handlebars.  Today I have a major migraine from the concussion, chest hurts like no other, and overall feel like I was just run over by a big rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVbsfkcP5SU
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:44:58 pm
So, as a treat to myself, I decided to do an overnight camping trip at the local MX track my work sponsors.  Packed up and got to the track early Sunday morning and started hitting the trails and tracks.  Later in the afternoon I was feeling good and riding exceptionally fast, so I decided to go on the pro track and take advantage of the fresh groom.  I usually roll most of the jumps on the pro track, but there are a few I hit.  I decided to go for this 60' tabletop that I normally roll, and I came up about a foot short.  Rear wheel caught the lip of the landing, bucked my body off into the superman position, then body slammed off my handlebars and flew thru the air for about another 20'.  After watching the video several times I realized I actually got knocked out for a couple of seconds, and I fractured my sternum off of the handlebars.  Today I have a major migraine from the concussion, chest hurts like no other, and overall feel like I was just run over by a big rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVbsfkcP5SU

Oh, poor baby  :( :( ;D

Get better quick and get back out there. Lots of tape will help.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:07:52 am
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:00:17 pm
Ouch!  Glad to see that thumbs-up at the end...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:39:05 pm
Dude, you live dangerously!

Get well soon!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 02:54:44 pm
Thanks guys.  Feeling better today, the brain bleeding must be getting better because the migraine is at least tolerable today.  Probably going to be a bit before the ribs and sternum feel better.  Noticing all kinds of bruises on me now tho.  Slight bruising all along the right side of my back, nasty smaller bruise on my left hip, and of course the stiff neck from whiplash.  Good news is I'm feeling better and have learned a lot on Thumper Talk as to what I did wrong.  I guess this just another case of when in doubt, throttle out.  Definitely will remember that next time I come up short.

Dude, you live dangerously!

Get well soon!

Live dangerously, have fun.  Basically the same thing.  Haha. Tho, the wife is none too impressed.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:53 am
It was going so well, until you pulled up short! Damn damn damn. Reminds me of the time I choked over a massive set of doubles: Piled into the front face of the second one. That f...ing hurt like hell. And wrecked my bike's front end.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 05:49:02 am
Well, I'm sitting at the ER because I'm not getting any better and am miserable.  Xray came back positive, completely broke my sternum.  Waiting to hear what the Dr. wants to do.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 02:43:04 pm
   Jeez that really SUCKS!  :o :(
   Got a feeling it'll keep you out of the loop for a bit. Hope the Doc can come up with a good program so you can keep riding while it knits.

'12 C5 Classic

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:11:50 pm
Well, it sure turned into a late night of testing.  Ended doing the Xrays, bunch of blood work, a CT scan of my head and of my chest.  Then also had an EKG that came back abnormal, but later determined it wasn't a concerning factor. 

In the end, it was determined that I broke my sternum right down the middle, broke my #7 rib, and obviously the concussion to boot.  Doctor said I'll be out for 6-8 weeks.  Which really sucks because that means I'll only have about 2 weeks to practice before my first hare scramble race in September.  Going to take things as easy as possible and take some extra vitamins to try and speed the healing process.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 02:29:35 pm
Well, I was healing up nicely.  But, as I was pulling a bike around yesterday at work, I discovered the front tire only had 5 psi in it by damn near dropping it as I went to turn around the corner of the building.  Took everything I had to keep the bike upright, and had the manhandle that damn bike every inch I rode it.  Needless to say, I pulled the muscles in my ribs where the #7 rib is broken.  At first I was angry that I hurt myself while healing.  But, then I was just absolutely astonished that the owner actually drove the bike over there like that and didn't get hurt or completely blow out the front tire.  Still feeling it this morning.  And I am definitely going to have a talk with the owner about proper pre-ride inspections.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 04:57:10 pm
Been there, done that !  Should heal in about 6 weeks but will hurt that long and then pain disappears.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:09:01 pm
Ouch. good to hear you're mending though.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 11:03:04 pm
Hi all!  How's life treating everyone?  I'm trying to get over a bit of the flu today, so thought I'd stop in and say "hello".

It took about the full 8 weeks to recover from my crash, but I'm all healed up and doing fine now.  As it would be, the broken rid caused me more discomfort than my cracked sternum.  Tho, in all honesty, my whole upper body was sore throughout the ordeal.  But a few months later, I'm doing great with no side effects from my injuries to note.

I did recently start working again about a month ago, as the crash made me realize that not only am I not getting any younger, but how incredibly out of shape I was.  My wife started dieting and exercising over 3 months ago and has been losing right around 10 pounds a month.  Super proud of her!  So, I figured I'd better get off my rear end and start doing something myself.  So, I started body building to get myself back in shape.  I've lost about 4 pounds so far and have another 5 to go to get myself close to about 8% body fat and 165 pounds, which was my fighting weight about 9+ years ago.  Then my goal is to bulk up to about 185 pounds or so of lean mass.  Then I can be like the old guys on the Bowflex and P90X commercials; "I'm 40 years old and I'm in the best shape of my life."  Haha  ;D

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 01:59:45 pm
Glad to hear you're getting back to normal, brother.
Saves me havin' to send you a Get Well card.  ;)
'12 C5 Classic