Author Topic: The 'Big Bolt', or how to spot an Indian Bullet.  (Read 8508 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 30, 2017, 10:12:46 pm
I have posted this video I made today on a few forums. I have seen too many overpriced Indian bikes being offered as 'British' when they are clearly not. Never mind any frame or engine numbers which may be stamped on them, or any documents supporting them, if the 'Big Bolt' is there, it is Indian, end of. Don't get caught out, folks  ;)
 B.W.

https://youtu.be/PLHWH3MCd0M

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:37:53 pm
It's good to know these little things, thanks!
BTW... I have a 'British Enfield Bullet 500' with that big bolt lol... but mine for some strange reason has an Enfield India sticker in between the front forks... hmmmmm ;) ;)
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 01:01:27 am
I have posted this video I made today on a few forums. I have seen too many overpriced Indian bikes being offered as 'British' when they are clearly not. Never mind any frame or engine numbers which may be stamped on them, or any documents supporting them, if the 'Big Bolt' is there, it is Indian, end of. Don't get caught out, folks  ;)
 B.W.

Migod, I love to listen to a guy who just plain and simple knows whatthefuck he's talkin' about :) :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 03:43:42 pm
Here you go ladies and gentlemen, test your knowledge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-1963-350cc-/192230990325?hash=item2cc1dc21f5:g:T5UAAOSw~rpZS9k7
 ;)

My vintage Enfield knowledge is infinitely lacking, but I know what I like and I know what I like to look at and I know I sure would love to have that beautifully curved header pipe on my '08 AVL Classic  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:33:32 pm
 B.W.

Thanks BW.
Was thinking I could market my  RE AVL Bullet as a 1974 joint venture with BSA. But what to do with that nasty bolt? Foiled again.????
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:59:26 am
Just fit a genuine BSA acetylene headlamp on it. The bolt will be the last thing on anyone's mind.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 02:02:34 pm
Here you go ladies and gentlemen, test your knowledge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-1963-350cc-/192230990325?hash=item2cc1dc21f5:g:T5UAAOSw~rpZS9k7
 ;)

Malky,
In the 3rd picture of this listing, is the dreaded 'bolt' which clues me in on the fact that this is an Indian Enfield, according to Paul's video, and not one produced in England, as the ad depicts... hehe
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:56 pm
At least he's being honest about it, listing it fitted with a 1992 engine; unlike the 350  which may not be the case when telling us this...
 Country/Region of Manufacture :  United Kingdom Even if it was a UK  bike surely £4000 is still an oversized pipe dream.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:11:13 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:44:43 pm
Here is one that is just my age lol... pretty nice shape, actually!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Indian-TOMAHAWK-/122571590430?hash=item1c89d60b1e:g:lxMAAOSwyltZVPda&vxp=mtr

...but it's the twin!

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 10:27:30 pm
Here is one that is just my age lol... pretty nice shape, actually!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Indian-TOMAHAWK-/122571590430?hash=item1c89d60b1e:g:lxMAAOSwyltZVPda&vxp=mtr

...but it's the twin!
And that is an 'Indian' badged Royal Enfield, made in England and not an Indian made Royal Enfield. No 'Big Bolt' there, either  ;D ;D ;D
 B.W.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 09:19:50 am
OK, so two important points to clarify when speaking to the seller...
Is it a big bolt or a big head model you're selling ;)