Author Topic: Front axle assembly HELP  (Read 1727 times)

Neofight

• Scooter
  • "Sayin' it's your job don't make it right"
on: June 24, 2017, 01:43:46 pm
Hello,
     So I removed my front wheel and had the tire changed. I am trying to reinstall the front wheel but I have all the retainers and spacers out of order.
    I have consulted Hitchcocks and other online diagrams for a 2000 Bullet 500 tls front drum, but when I follow the diagrams it won't fit.
    The main problem is on the Speedo side- with the felt washer retainer, felt washer and speedo spacer- the speedo doesn't engage in the slots for the drive AND the threads are covered so I can't put on the spindle nut.
Thanks for any assistance

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:07 pm
   I don't have a 2000, but I do have a paper Parts Manual for the 2000. Is it possible the Spindle and/or the Spacers are installed backwards? (Spindle maybe not, since the drawing only shows a nut and quantity for one end.)
   The drawing (Sect. 14-10) shows the Speedo side components, and the order (from Hub-to-Speedo) is as follows: #7 stepped Spacer > #9 Felt Washer > #10 Front Hub Retainer > #11 Speedo Drive Collar.
   Both sides have a #7 Stepped Spacer. Each spacer is stepped two ways - one side is recessed, the other protruding.
   In both cases the #7 Stepped Spacer should have the protruding side facing in toward the hub bearing. If facing the wrong direction, that may account for the lack of exposed thread and failure of the Speedo drive to engage.
   Additionally, does the Speedo Drive Collar have different diameters for each side? If so, maybe reversing the collar will be all that's necessary to get the Drive tabs to engage.

Again, I can only guess based on your information and the drawing from the Parts manual, so I hope this helps.
   Good luck!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:52:13 pm
From memory it was easier to remove the speedo cable from the drive unit, engage the drive teeth into the drive unit OFF the bike and use duck tape either side of the spindle hole to hold it in position against the hub. Then fit the wheel between the forks.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.