Author Topic: Speedometer stopped working  (Read 4499 times)

Rlipman123

• Neophyte
on: May 23, 2017, 05:58:08 pm
I have a 2012 500 classic that the speedometer stopped working it has about 1200 miles on it any suggestions of what it could  be

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:12 pm
Speedo inner cable snapped? Undo the drive cable outer at the speedo end and see how many bits of inner cable you can pull out. Speedo drive gearbox (on the front axle) gear teeth prematurely worn out?

(This should have been posted in the "Bullet with the UCE Engine" section by the way, I don't think 2012 is vintage yet ;)  Welcome to the forum!)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:05:55 am
Does the mileage reading increase as you ride the motorcycle.
If it does, the problem is in the speedometer.

If it doesn't, Adrian II hit the nail on the head.  The problem is either the inner cable is broken or it has become disengaged with the speedometer or the drive gear isn't working.

If you replaced the front wheel recently, it is possible the drive was not connected with the wheel when the axle was reinstalled.
Then again, the drive (located on the front wheel axle on the drivers right side) is made from plastic and it isn't very robust.

If the distance indicator in the speedometer isn't moving as you ride, the first thing to do is to unscrew the speedometer cable from the speedometer drive.
It is just finger tight.

Pull the inner cable out of the sheath.  It should have a square shape on both ends.
If it does, the cable is not broken.
While you have it out, liberally apply a coating of Vaseline petroleum jelly to the cable and work it back up thru the outer sheath.
It probably won't go all the way back in on the first try and if it doesn't, rotate the cable slightly and push it in again.
You are trying to align the square drive on the cable with a square hole in the speedometer.  After some trying and swearing it should slip back in so only about 1/2" is sticking out.

Now, with the motorcycle sitting on the center stand have someone heavy sit on the rear of the bike.  The idea here is to raise the front wheel off of the ground.

While watching the output end of the speedometer gearbox, rotate the wheel.
The center output of the gearbox should turn.  If it doesn't, either the gearbox isn't engaging the front wheels hub or the gearbox is junk.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary