Author Topic: Mikuni VM34 mounting on 1996 Bullet 500 Iron barrel  (Read 5234 times)

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Hi All,
  I am going to get rid of the Amal 930 as it is not doing well with my throttle tube. I have to replace the tube as it is so hard to pull the slide, with the nuts barely snug, that it pulled the cable end right out of it on a 180 mile ride sunday, and it deformed the hole where it attaches to where it will not keep the cable end anymore.… as you know, the slide is prone to 'sticking' if you tighten even a bit over hand-tight. What would I need to get, to mount the VM34 on my Bullet? I am not sure where I would obtain the manifold for the carburetor. Is it available from aftermarket, or is it available for Ft. Worth? Thanks in advance for your help.
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:57:19 pm
I still have the original boot that came with the Micarb, and I am thinking of using a TM28 flat slide carb I have for the RD350. I think it should work well, just have to rejet it according t the specs in the Tech section.
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:18:55 pm
If the 34mm is on a 1996 Bullet and it is original there is a really good chance it came from either Beno Rodi near Atlanta or Bill? ( I can't for the life of me remember his last name). They sold RE's all overhttps://forum.classicmotorworks.com/ the SE from 1995 till about 2000.

They sold a bike that they dubbed a Super Bullet. It was similar to the bike that Egli in Switzerland developed. They put a 9.5:1 piston in them along with the Mikuni 34mm carb.

I've heard a 100 times that the 34mm was too big for the engine, but they ran like hell. I sold that carb. kit for the next 18 years.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:14 pm
You need to get the Sudco rubber manifold kit for the Mikuni VM32/VM34. It is the same one packaged in the Enfield 34mm carb kit. It's probably around 30 bucks now.

The 34mm works fine. It's just that the 32mm gives better low rpm torque and throttle response. Run whatever one you have. You will need that manifold.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:42:27 pm
I run a Mikuni 34mm flat slide, lots of power, kinda kills the mileage (40 mpg).

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:49 am
If the 34mm is on a 1996 Bullet and it is original there is a really good chance it came from either Beno Rodi near Atlanta or Bill? ( I can't for the life of me remember his last name). They sold RE's all overhttps://forum.classicmotorworks.com/ the SE from 1995 till about 2000.

They sold a bike that they dubbed a Super Bullet. It was similar to the bike that Egli in Switzerland developed. They put a 9.5:1 piston in them along with the Mikuni 34mm carb.

I've heard a 100 times that the 34mm was too big for the engine, but they ran like hell. I sold that carb. kit for the next 18 years.

Hey Kevin! Thanks for the info, It actually came off of a triple, I have three of the identical carbs, and two of them are on my RD350 race bike. The third one, I was thinking of mounting on the Bullet, as I have read about those who have done so.

Ace, thanks for the info on the Sudco manifold, I take it that it is the right hole spacing for the studs on the Bullet head, or do I have to widen the mounting holes to match? I will look for it.

And Geichal, thanks for your input also, the flat slide flows a little more freely than the round slide, so they are a better carb IMHO. I have a couple TM28 flat slides that will fit the stock manifold that was in the box of parts along with the stock Micarb. I need to find a throttle tube that will replace mine, and then have Jim at Homer's cycles make me a new cable for the new carb. He is really good at cables, and spokes!

On my trip to Stockbridge Mich. sunday, I had the Bullet at 4200rpm in 4th gear, it was running pretty well, and I was going downhill lol… I didn't hold that speed too long, but it must have been close to 80mph. The speedo was waving back and forth like a mad flagman on the dragstrip so not sure exactly the speed I was up to. It was fun…  ;D

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:06:20 am
You need to get the Sudco rubber manifold kit for the Mikuni VM32/VM34. It is the same one packaged in the Enfield 34mm carb kit. It's probably around 30 bucks now.

The 34mm works fine. It's just that the 32mm gives better low rpm torque and throttle response. Run whatever one you have. You will need that manifold.

I called Sudco today, and ordered the manifold for it! Thanks, Ace the price was $30 and shipping. Will have a cable made for the VM34mm carb, instead of the TM28. I am going to convert the throttle side of the handlebar to the 2000 Bullet design, as it has a pretty standard throttle tube and housing, instead go the older style that I have. And, the later stuff is available, unlike mine…  ??? ::)

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22:07 pm
I called RE Ft. Worth today, and ordered the upgraded rt. hand side handle bar control kit. This changes from Magura throttle/brake controls to Minda. I would not have been able to find the correct Magura throttle tube, as they are not being made any more. So, I will have the right side 2000 Bullet throttle/brake controls next week sometime! A plus is, the throttle tubes are very cheap, and readily available. The kit has all the cables, and brake switch, etc…. but not cheap. $89 shipped to my door! By   the time I get the manifold from Sudco, and the kit from  Ft. Worth, riding season will be in full swing. I can't wait…  :D

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:24 am
I received the kit, and it is installed along with the 34mm manifold from Sudco! I have a 159-P8 needle jet with the stock 6DH4? needle with the clip in the middle (3rd) notch, and a 210 main installed. It was running lean with the initial 180 main, and popping and sputtering like it had an air leak… so, after careful examination, I couldn't figure out where the leak was… until I remembered that I used the carb on a two-stroke twin, and had drilled out the nipple casting in the throat of the carb for an injector nozzle! Sure enough, it was The Leak. I installed an injector nozzle and capped it with a short piece of hose and a machine screw tightly installed to the head. Now it is much better idling, and was able to set the mixture screw with better results. I didn't have time for a plug chop, so will do that tomorrow. I have a P6 needle jet also, and can throw it in if the mid range seems too rich. But, it is getting there!  ;D

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:56:38 pm

Kevin, I know this is an older post but would it be Bill Fisher?
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 03:30:22 pm
Yes it was Bill Fisher. Thanks for the memory job. A great guy.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 03:40:55 pm
The 34 works fine.

I made most of the comments about the 34 being too big, but it is a minor issue.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 03:45:36 pm
Ace - I have done the math myself many years ago. As you know the 34mm really shouldn't work very well. In fact by almost any measure without some really serious engine work it is mathematically too big.

However for whatever reason it does. The comments about it not working were made long before you were talking about it. My comments were only general in nature and not aimed at you whatsoever. You provide a tremendous service to our community and I have always appreciated your comments and clear explanations of subject you know very well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com